Tiemoue Bakayoko

the wes

44 minutes ago, Chelsea? said:

Seems we have been under rating Matic here. 7assists from his position is nothing short of great. 

Never mind the quality, feel the width eh? There are assists, and then there are assists. They are certainly not created equal.

When judging the contribution of any player, it's not a simple matter of measuring his output. Questions have to be asked, and answered. How often does the player do as well as he can have done in a given situation? Can we reasonably expect our starter in that position to do better? Your answers to those questions in Nemanja's case may find in his favour, mine find decisively against him.

As for the assists; I've frequently posted the opinion that, when things are in his favour, Nemanja can pick a pass as well as the next professional. It it when things are not in his favour that he frustrates me. When we need someone with the surety of touch, quickness of feet and quality body control to turn a less than perfect situation into an attacking opportunity for our team, Nemanja is not our man. On the majority of occasions that Nemanja comes into possession, a standard, simple, action is exactly what is required and he serves us well in those situations. There are numerous times in each game however where we would benefit from a player with superior attributes and it is those times which make the difference.

We hope to qualify for, and be competitive in, the Champions League next season. We will find it harder to succeed in that ambition if we are not able to select a player to partner Ngolo who is able to help us make the most of those difference making opportunities. Last, but not least, Nemanja is utterly unable to do anything the least bit challenging with his right leg. He avoids that limb in the same way novice tennis players avoid their backhand. For me, an upgrade in his position remains priority number one this summer.

2 hours ago, gadget said:

was 21 when we first brought him, wasn't an academy product 

For what it's worth, I posted, elsewhere, to say that I didn't rate Nemanja after watching clips of him before we signed him first time around.

My appraisal then was that he needed far too long on the ball and that he was over fond of flighted passes. Passes which took too long to reach their targets, and which were more difficult for the receiver to control, than if they had been played along the floor. I'd like to claim that at least this makes me consistent about his contribution but, in fact, I was very enthusiastic about his performances in the first six months after his return. In my opinion, he represented a step forward from the players who were the alternatives at the time. Now however, I feel it is time to take another step.

Two things to be fair to Nemanja: -

1. He is more selective with the flighted passes now, and does a better job with choosing that route only when it is the best option. In his youth he seemed to do it for style. (Or at least he did in the clips I saw.)

2. In my opinion he is much better suited to the position he switched to at Benfica, than he was to the AM role he was slated for when we first signed him.

51 minutes ago, Chelsea? said:

Do you think managers want youngsters to fail? That post makes it seem like Conte knows Charlobah is good but he doesn't want him to succeed, so he only plays him when we really need to win and sit him when we have the win at hand. 

Charlobah is still here because he has impressed Conte. But maybe he's not starting because Matic and Kante have impressed him more. 

Chalobah isnt good enough yet to win us a CL trophy, which is the next step in our progress. 

I would like to see he and RLC get loaned out for next year. 

I nearly clicked the like button but can only agree with half of the last sentence. I think the utility of loans has come to an end for Nat. For me, his options are to convince Antonio that he is ready for a bigger role, accept his current role, or find a new permanent home.

I wholeheartedly support everything else you say in the post above.

59 minutes ago, Chelsea? said:

Do you think managers want youngsters to fail? That post makes it seem like Conte knows Charlobah is good but he doesn't want him to succeed, so he only plays him when we really need to win and sit him when we have the win at hand. 

Charlobah is still here because he has impressed Conte. But maybe he's not starting because Matic and Kante have impressed him more. 

Chalobah isnt good enough yet to win us a CL trophy, which is the next step in our progress. 

I would like to see he and RLC get loaned out for next year. 

was pretty much what I was saying, he's impressed enough to earn the trust of being a backup. Which is saying a lot considering we had mikel

2 hours ago, BoyBlue96 said:

We are not a club that plays youth. We're a club who only buy players. It's in our DNA.

And it won't change.

I really believe that when the glorious day comes that we find a youngster who the manager really believes in, that kid will be trusted and selected.

RLC got hyped up and got a new contract with a big pay rise. Ridiculous business if you ask me. Chelsea fans even claimed he's better than Dele Alli...

In terms of technical ability, I believe that RLC is indeed better equipped than Dele Ali. In terms of what the two lads do with their tools however, there is no comparison. Sadly.

Conte didn't play much youth at Juventus and he won't at Chelsea.

I think that is a trait which is prevalent in Italian managers; they value experience. Our Italians, Capello with England, and various Italian national team managers have exhibited it.

20 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

IMO he is almost good to go as starter. I always thought we need a ball playing CM, but more I look the games, the more it seems we realy need a Matic improvement. Someone quicker, more agile and with better technique. While its true, Eden needs to get in middle to collect the ball a lot because Matic cant bring the ball further up, it makes sense to get someone who can dictate and spray the balls to our attackers. But at same time, Matic role as defender is crucial. It allows Kante to roam, it gives balance to our defense. A playmaker would ruin all that, so unless you know perfect Matic/Cesc combo player we can buy, then we simply cant afford to have playmaker in middle. Many say we dont realy need height and strenght, and while its true, small players can work, I saw enough of PL to know there is no way we would play two small guys in middle of pitch whole season. Even the likes of Dahoud, he aint small by no mean but seriously anyone believes he would fit next to Kante? Anyway, the solution as long we play with two men in middle is Matic improvement and Bakayoko is everything you need. Perhaps even stronger than Matic, certainly quicker, younger, more dynamic, at least as good defender and miles better dribbler. As long our middfield can get the ball forward (which Kante and Baka could), then we would be just fine if we have two brilliant wingers.

People also forget that football is not fifa. In real life its not easy to change even the side you play nevermind whole formation. Bakayoko always plays on left side to Fabinho, in two man midfield with two wingers and two fullbacks. The exact same position Matic plays here. Fact that he would even have French partner in Kante is probably great too.

Yeah he makes simple passes most of the time, he prefers to dribble past opponents and then pass, rather make risky pass forward. Very raw passer. Sure he can pull great pass here and there, but so can Matic. If you look for Kroos, you will be dissapointed. If you look for Yaya or Vieira, then Bakayoko is the closest thing in years. His passing gets him down sometimes, because he gets the ball and then instead of passing forward, he just makes simple pass to nearest player, but his dribbling and ball control makes him great at pushing the ball forward without killing the tempo.

Its realy all about his role. If he gets free role to roam, his dribbling will be menance for any defense, if he gets the role like in city games when he has to stay deep, his passing will be the most basic.

I would be very happy with him. We need his type AND playmaker anyway, so by getting Baka, we cant lose realy.

From your description, he is like dembele for Spurs. That will be good, someone who can hold his ball under pressure, two footed, and most importantly can dribble past opponents through the middle of the pitch and carry the ball forward to help the attack. (Essien used to do this for us,) You only have to watch our match against Tottenham to know how important these type of midfielders are. 

12 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I think that is a trait which is prevalent in Italian managers; they value experience. Our Italians, Capello with England, and various Italian national team managers have exhibited it.

You may be correct on this, Ancelotti was the only manager since Ranieri to put any trust in youth though - both Italian

2 minutes ago, gadget said:

You may be correct on this, Ancelotti was the only manager since Ranieri to put any trust in youth though - both Italian

Carlo ignored a young, hungry Sturridge and kept playing the stagnant Anelkalouda.

14 hours ago, Mufassir08 said:

His passing ability seems painfully average to me tbh. I'd much rather Tolisso or Strootman.

I think he is superior to Tolisso in his position. Or at least on par with more potential. He has been called up to the France national team ahead of Tolisso anyway. I haven't seen enough of Strootman since he came back to judge.

14 hours ago, Mufassir08 said:

His passing ability seems painfully average to me tbh. I'd much rather Tolisso or Strootman.

I'd love to see my old PSV-hero in a Chelsea kit but I doubt he's good enough to bring us to a higher level. 

Just like last year: ManUtd buy Pogba > Juve get 100m > Juve use the money to buy Higuain > Napoli lose Higuain and ADL refuses to sell another XI player: Koulibaly.

Club needs to act fast.

Because the blue Manchester club might ruin it this year. 

1 hour ago, ILoveLamp said:

I think he is superior to Tolisso in his position. Or at least on par with more potential. He has been called up to the France national team ahead of Tolisso anyway. I haven't seen enough of Strootman since he came back to judge.

Tolisso to me seemed far more composed and incisive on the ball as compared to Bakayoko. I think the only thing Baka has over Tolisso is dribbling ability.

2 hours ago, ILoveLamp said:

Werent both called up for first time last week? Bakayoko only after Pogba was injured?

1 hour ago, Mufassir08 said:

Tolisso to me seemed far more composed and incisive on the ball as compared to Bakayoko. I think the only thing Baka has over Tolisso is dribbling ability.

They're different players so it all depends on what Conte is looking for. Tolisso is the superior player technically and offensively, and he's box-to-box. Baka is the superior player physically and defensively, and he's a midfield shield.

Personally, I don't like the idea of two technically average players in the centre of the pitch who don't offer much invention and imagination with the ball at their feet. We've seen how laberous Chelsea can be and there's no guaranteeing the team will keep finding ways to win next season. Grinding is never a long term plan for succes (don't mention the likes Juve and old Chelsea as those teams possessed great quality. Atletico grind and they've been 'unlucky' these past few years).

But at least Baka offers great athleticism and can surprise with the occasional surge from deep. And with the right purchase(s) at wingback and/or up front, you could make up for that lack of skill in the centre. And what do I know, really. Conte could make it work of course if he does indeed want him.

17 minutes ago, DYC. said:

They're different players so it all depends on what Conte is looking for. Tolisso is the superior player technically and offensively, and he's box-to-box. Baka is the superior player physically and defensively, and he's a midfield shield.

Personally, I don't like the idea of two technically average players in the centre of the pitch who don't offer much invention and imagination with the ball at their feet. We've seen how laberous Chelsea can be and there's no guaranteeing the team will keep finding ways to win next season. Grinding is never a long term plan for succes (don't mention the likes Juve and old Chelsea as those teams possessed great quality. Atletico grind and they've been 'unlucky' these past few years).

But at least Baka offers great athleticism and can surprise with the occasional surge from deep. And with the right purchase(s) at wingback and/or up front, you could make up for that lack of skill in the centre. And what do I know, really. Conte could make it work of course if he does indeed want him.

They have different skillsets but they play the same roles, do they not? They both are essentially box to box mids, one is better in the defensive phase of the game and can make surging runs from deep once the game opens up and there is space to run into while Tolisso may not possess the same explosive running ability with the ball but has far more quality on the ball not to mention is much more of goal threat. Tolisso's shooting is also an asset.