Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

Rudiger was fantastic tonight, even looked good with the ball at his feet. Most importantly though, unlike Cahill, he looked really strong in his 1v1 duels against Chilean players so that's very promising to see. I think there is something there in Rudiger with which Conte can work with. 

Said this a coup,e of days ago and I'll say it again, I can't imagine Rüdiger coming here for a bench spot. He's at a nice club already where he can play every game. He's trying to earn a starting spot for the full German team for the World Cup. He'd be dumb to come to Chelsea and jeopardize that by being a squad player like Zouma is getting a rare appearence here or there.

Likewise, I can't imagine the club paying £30m on a backup. People here can say "£30m is cheap" all they want but that's bullshit. Azpi and Cahill were cheap. I think £30m is a lot no matter what the market is. 

I just can't for the life of me figure out who he replaces in our XI. Azpi and Luiz are obviously nailed on starters, surely. Cahill seems to be somewhat of the club's new poster boy. JT's English successor, captain, etc. I wonder if we'd just bench him for Rüdiger straight away. Could Conte be thinking of him as a RWB? 

Just can't figure it out.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Said this a coup,e of days ago and I'll say it again, I can't imagine Rüdiger coming here for a bench spot. He's at a nice club already where he can play every game. He's trying to earn a starting spot for the full German team for the World Cup. He'd be dumb to come to Chelsea and jeopardize that by being a squad player like Zouma is getting a rare appearence here or there.

Likewise, I can't imagine the club paying £30m on a backup. People here can say "£30m is cheap" all they want but that's bullshit. Azpi and Cahill were cheap. I think £30m is a lot no matter what the market is. 

I just can't for the life of me figure out who he replaces in our XI. Azpi and Luiz are obviously nailed on starters, surely. Cahill seems to be somewhat of the club's new poster boy. JT's English successor, captain, etc. I wonder if we'd just bench him for Rüdiger straight away. Could Conte be thinking of him as a RWB? 

My gut feeling is that Moses is going out of the starting line-up and Azpilicueta is moving to RWB. I'll be surprised if Conte entered the Champions League with an obvious aerial weakness for ronaldo and co to exploit by leaving Azpi in centerback. 

Rudiger actually is a good Passer for a centerback. Now I've seen him in a full match, only Luiz in our defense is a better passer. He has this Bailly no nonsense defending style and is good at one on one defending. He'll be a starter for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I'm sure that we are gonna sign another CB besides Rudiger. Zouma will probably go on loan which will leave us with only 4 CB and i'm also confident that were gonna sign Van Dijk and like you said Rudiger could play as a RWB.

19 minutes ago, Pizy said:

you do realize that since those deals football economics has changed drastically right?

1 minute ago, kellzfresh said:

My gut feeling is that Moses is going out of the starting line-up and Azpilicueta is moving to RWB. I'll be surprised if Conte entered the Champions League with an obvious aerial weakness for ronaldo and co to exploit by leaving Azpi in centerback. 

Rudiger actually is a good Passer for a centerback. Now I've seen him in a full match, only Luiz in our defense is a better passer. He has this Bailly no nonsense defending style and is good at one on one defending. He'll be a starter for sure. 

I think that would be great, actually. Especially if we manage to sign Alex Sandro. Azpi on the right flank, Alex Sandro on the left. Luiz in the middle and flanked by Rüdiger to his right and Cahill or Christensen to his left. Moses and Alonso as options depending on the opponent.

2 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

you do realize that since those deals football economics has changed drastically right?

Like I said, the economic situation has changed but £30m is still a pretty penny. When I think "cheap" these days I think of Spuds when they got a bargain with Wanyama. Someone in the £10-15m area.

£30m should still get you a very good player.

5 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Like I said, the economic situation has changed but £30m is still a pretty penny. When I think "cheap" these days I think of Spuds when they got a bargain with Wanyama. Someone in the £10-15m area.

£30m should still get you a very good player.

Oh without question the fee suggests he CAN start but the level we're angling to be at tells me the £30m mark is a high end squad player fee. Ake went for £20m, I believe Rudiger's pedigree is higher than that of Ake's

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I think that would be great, actually. Especially if we manage to sign Alex Sandro. Azpi on the right flank, Alex Sandro on the left. Luiz in the middle and flanked by Rüdiger to his right and Cahill or Christensen to his left. Moses and Alonso as options depending on the opponent.

I'll actually want Rudiger to play the LCB role which he's very comfortable with and move Cahill to the right. I think a major reason why Cahill looks so uncomfortable with the ball is because he is on the left side and he's very right footed. Him returning to the right side could make Cahill comfortable in bringing the ball out instead of hoofing it back to the opponent because he can't use his weaker foot to pass like Matic.

(in fact thinking about it that whole left side MATIC-ALONSO-CAHILL are so one footed, slow and easy to put under pressure because of that limitation :doh: ) No wonder Conte wants to improve that side so bad ( Bakayoko-Sandro-Rudiger) 

47 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

I actually think Christensen has a better chance at playing RWB

How come you think that ? Both Azpi and Rüdiger did play as RB recently, while I dont think Christensen played a single match at RB while at Gladbach.

6 minutes ago, Artandur said:

How come you think that ? Both Azpi and Rüdiger did play as RB recently, while I dont think Christensen played a single match at RB while at Gladbach.

He's played out wide before as well. I just think is makeup is more on the flank in the Prem than centrally... I could be wrong

1 hour ago, Mário César said:

David, Cahill, Azpi, Rudiger and christensen its good enough?

And Alonso as 6th option when needed.  I think we can manage with that backline, yes. Not sure if we even need any more CBs. Christensen is like a new signing anyway, so we basically have 2 new CBs already. Zouma apparently said he wanted to stay and fight for his place, so we might have Zouma also. If he stays we are loaded and need to shift focus to other more pressing areas.