Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Ben Sahar - Discussion

Chelsea's Sahar backed for Portsmouth success

Former Portsmouth striker Deon Burton is backing Chelsea's Ben Sahar to be a big smash at Fratton Park.

Burton saw at first hand the Chelsea starlet's talents when he lined up alongside Sahar at Sheffield Wednesday last season.

He told The News: "Ben's only a young lad but you can see he's got plenty of ability to be at a club like Chelsea.

"Obviously, I saw lots of him training every day and playing in the same team as him and I cannot see any reason why he won't do well at Pompey. He's a very good finisher, a real poacher, and is lightening fast.

"That frightens the life out of defenders and can really open things up for your team-mates. I like the fact he's so willing to learn as well. He listens to what he has to do and then acts upon it.

"For a young lad that's really good. I have to say, it was a pleasure to play alongside him at the end of last season."

Edited by EskWeston

It is certainly a big challenge for Ben, it is incredibly hard to get loan spells for young players in the Premier League, and certainly not a club like Portsmouth. Which just goes to show how highly regarded he is. I like Harry Redknapp too and i trust him to get the best out of Ben and improve his game and give him the minutes he needs to take it up a level.

Next season could be the one for him to make it in our first team

Well this benefits Chelsea in two ways, providing he has a decent period there. Firstly, it will allow us to assess whether or not he is good enough for our first team squad, and secondly if he impresses so much, we can sell him on for a tidy profit.

Redknapp ponders extending Portsmouth stay for Chelsea's Sahar

spacer.gif

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp admits new loan signing Chelsea striker Ben Sahar could extend his stay beyond the coming season. He told Pompey's website: "We've taken Ben on loan until Christmas. We'll have a look at him and see how it goes."

Chelsea striker Ben Sahar is determined to break Portsmouth's first-choice strike-pairing of Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch.

Sahar told the Portsmouth News: "I will fight for my place and when I get my chance I will do my very best to show I can do well for Portsmouth.

"I'm happy to see every good player at Portsmouth. The more good players that are here, the better the team will do. Peter Crouch is a very good striker, but if I do well and I show what I can do, I'm sure I will get a chance to play.

"We also have Jermain Defoe, Kanu and David Nugent, so I know it'll be difficult, but I'm looking at what I can do for the team. Peter Crouch is a very different kind of striker to me, so the manager may choose different strikers for different games.

"We also have a lot of games with the UEFA Cup, but it's up to me to take my chance, score goals and play well when I can. I'm ready to fight for my chance."