B. F. Keen To Trim Squad

.Cee

New Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has revealed that he plans to trim his squad by at least seven players over the summer.

Scolari was officially presented as the Blues' new boss at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

The Brazilian coach outlined his desire to hold on to his star players, with the likes of midfielder Frank Lampard and striker Didier Drogba drawing interest from a number of European clubs.

However, Scolari has explained that he has told his players he is keen to streamline his 32-strong squad to a number no greater than 25.

"Now I have 32 players. But now is the time to change the team. One will come and one will go, three players might be wanted by other teams," he told a press conference.

"I want to work with 23, 24, 25 players. If I have 30 players I can't bring them in from the youth side. The players know this.

"When I spoke to them yesterday, I said, 'There will be 23, 24 or 25 who will stay. That is the maximum I will need'.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_3796279,00.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidwell, Ben Haim, SWP, Malouda, Pizarro

That's just players i expect to leave although Malouda will probably stay even though he's shocking

Depends what Scoalri thinks he will need to bring the type of football he wants to play. I would think he will want to bring in 2 wingers probably.

Add to that either Belletti or Ferreira, we won't keep both of them bearing in mind that we want to bring our squad size down.

Yeah i'm not sure which right back will leave.

Ferreira just signed a new contract & he's younger

Belletti did quite well last season but is in his 30's.

I wouldn't really like to see either of them go

Edited by Kez

bellleti pld well last season and i wouldnt like to see him go.

not sure who he means swp needs to go he can be a good player when he gets games but i cant see him getting many games!

One of Paulo and Belletti is bound to be off, because we now have Bosingwa. Pizarro is likely to leave along with Tal Ben Haim and SWP's possible move to Portsmouth would be a brilliant move for him. But what excites me is that Scolari wants to trim the squad to bring though youngsters.

One of Paulo and Belletti is bound to be off, because we now have Bosingwa. Pizarro is likely to leave along with Tal Ben Haim and SWP's possible move to Portsmouth would be a brilliant move for him. But what excites me is that Scolari wants to trim the squad to bring though youngsters.

I agree, that is a very exciting point to come out of all this. Already we have Mancienne, Di Santo and Sinclair involved in first team training. All of them are seemingly set to have some involvement this season - obviously providing they impress Scolari enough.

With just over a week till the team set off for the Pre Season tour we can expect wuite a bit of activity in those comming days. Scolari will want as close to his final team as possible there with him.