The Conte Thread

Just now, Mana said:

No fuck you. Like, how dare you say I can't remember what happened in 2015/16. I do remember. You're talking as if we had no good games in 2015/16.

You're talking as if we had no good games in 2017/18. So fuck you. :P

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

Eh, that's the point. Both seasons are almost as bad as each other. I said 'almost' as this season is narrowly beating 2015/16. I would have definitely equalled it if we had lost today.

Can't compare one was horrible from the beginning. So bad by November. There's was a lot of stuff to play for. 

This time we are bad when there's not much to play for. 

Guess everyone checked out for the world cup already. 

5 minutes ago, Mana said:

Eh, that's the point. Both seasons are almost as bad as each other. I said 'almost' as this season is narrowly beating 2015/16. I would have definitely equalled it if we had lost today.

Nah mate I'm just kidding. You have every right to have that opinion, but in my mind personally 15/16 was far worse. At least we never were 1 point above relegation at any time this season and it was clear we were out of CL by October that season. This season we started dropping from 2nd place to 5th (for now), in 15/16 we had to climb from 17th(!!!!) to 10th... that was just unbelievable for defending champions. For me, those seasons are comparable only in the slightest, 15/16 was an absolute disaster in terms of results, table positions and performances were also much worse.

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

Just to let you all know, I've calmed down...I said the "fuck you all" in rage because we were 2-0 down (at the time) and were playing like pussies. Chelsea were really knocking me down with the constant bad performances. I apologise.

However I think we have to agree to disagree on the performances this season v. 15/16. Everything else about 15/16 was worse, but the performances I really don't see any difference. If it wasn't for Giroud and his determination to get a goal back, we would have lost today. The same way I've been seeing in 15/16 and parts of this season.

Giroud was allowed to score those goals because we were attacking their box and creating chances. In 15/16 we wouldn't have been able to penetrate in any way even, 0 shots on goal would have been another day in the office.

4 minutes ago, Mana said:

Point is, we shouldn't be 2-0 down like that. This is Conte's fault (again) for having that back 3.

I'm sure we were creating chances in 15/16...0 shots on goal was not common that season.

And what about this season? What about the City away game?

Look, we can bring shit examples from both seasons and have endless discussions. Let's just appreciate we finally won today. :)

On April 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Mana said:

Just to let you all know, I've calmed down...I said the "fuck you all" in rage because we were 2-0 down (at the time) and were playing like pussies. Chelsea were really knocking me down with the constant bad performances. I apologise.

However I think we have to agree to disagree on the performances this season v. 15/16. Everything else about 15/16 was worse, but the performances I really don't see any difference. If it wasn't for Giroud and his determination to get a goal back, we would have lost today. The same way I've been seeing in 15/16 and parts of this season.

As average to poor as we have been this season, we are still passing the ball to a relitevely acceptable level and creating a respectable amount of chances, under Jose in 15/16 we couldn't string two passes together and  our only way to create a chance was a Willian set piece or oppo cock up.  

You can maybe make a comparison between this season and the Hiddink half of 15/16, but even our lowest ebb this campaign is like paradise compared to the Jose half, that period was a complete and utter horror story from top to bottom.

He should try Alonso alongside Kante in midfield when he gets back. Drinkwater isn't good enough, Bakayoko is garbage right now and Fabregas will leave Kante too exposed vs Pogba, Herrera and Matic.

Giroud needs to start in the final. I can already see the long balls flying against Utd. And Morata is more valuable to the team off the bench right now. Fabregas and Pedro could have an impact off the bench as well.

And I know dropping Caballero would hurt him but I'd start Courtois in the final. Chels need to be at their absolute best to win.

Courtois

Azpiliceuta - Cahill - Rudiger

Moses - Kante - Alonso - Emerson

Willian - Giroud - Hazard

Caballero; Christensen, Zappacosta; Bakayoko, Fabregas; Pedro, Morata

Whatever the case though, NO 3-5-2. That set-up is a violation.

Cant wait for the next manager to come in, do good in the first season then have a poor second season... rinse and repeat again with all the "its the managers fault". To be honest, 1 PL title when nobody fancied us and if we win the FA cup this season, it looks a hell of a lot better for Conte in trying to get his next job than it does for us all things considering the disjointed way the club is run regarding transfers and the whole short term mindset that is quite clearly the only way the guys upstairs are thinking. The club needs to take a look in the summer and go for someone who they are going to back to have that sort of trust to be able to say about only the players he wants and the philosophy he wants to instil. Our youth system have been thriving for years, not one has been integrated into our team and I think that is purely through the short term pressures of win the league or get sacked/revolving door we've had for years although it has been successful but its not sustainable forever. Need to be more ambitious in the transfer market as well. 

I think Giroud has been a breath of fresh air for us, if he was a player that Conte asked for or not specifically I don't know... Hazard played brilliantly today (could of done with that sort of performances in the bigger games just after the turn of the year). Strange to think we were second or third last year and in a matter of months the whole season has gone pear shaped regardless of getting to the FA cup final.

Still think Conte will go in the summer, which is a shame because I think hes a top coach. Hopefully we can sign off his reign with a strong finish and beat United to win the FA cup.

On 18/04/2018 at 11:01 AM, Adnane said:

Do you guys even realize how bad we were in 2016 ? 

Our highest position was 10th, the one where we finished the season. 

We had a goal difference of +6.

We didn't show the slightest of fights against PSG. 

We went out against Stoke early in the COC. 

We went out against Everton in the FA Cup. 

The best we had done in the league was 3 wins in a row. 

Our top 4 chance was basically gone by October. 

This year we were 2nd at some point in January, win tomorrow and we are 5 points short of Tottenham and 7 Liverpool, with a game at home against the latter coming up ( which we might or might not win obviously ). Even if we miss out on Champions League football which is highly likely it will be by a considerably smaller margin than 2016. 

In 2016 we finished 16 points off top 4, and 13 off the first relegated team, we basically were closer to relegation zone than top 4. 

We are on course to finish the season with 75 points if we somehow manage to win all remaining Premier League games, in the last 15 PL seasons, this would have enabled us to play CL football the following year in 80% of the cases.

It's not a guess, it's an actual statistic. 

cl.PNG.d93708f62896d32020a3f2d4b274a938.PNG

I'm all for giving the players, manager and board stick for this deceiving season guys, but stop rewriting history, nothing we've experienced this year will ever get as low as 2016, that was a total nightmare, terrible. 

Brilliant post mate. 100% agree.

Where has the Conte in the last 2 games come from? Looked miserable for most of 2018 but was definitely back in the game in the last 3-4 days. Surprised everyone by going 2 strikers up top at Burnley and it worked and his mid-game changes against Southampton today was quick, decisive and spot on. 

37 minutes ago, the wes said:

To be fair Barca are going to win La Liga unbeaten by the looks of it as well as having won a Copa Del Rey. Replacing your coach, losing Neymar and  the new guy goes and does that? Would be an extremely odd move, plus Conte isn't suited to them I don't think, hes a top manager yes but his philosophy and style isn't exactly what you'd associate Barca with although he'd do a good job there anyway. I think quarrels with Messi and Pique won't hinder Valverde in the long run, the same happened to Enrique and he went and won a treble about 5 months afterwards then a whole lot of other trophies including La Liga again the next season as well as FIFA World Cup, Supercup and all that other things.