The Conte Thread

On 6/3/2016 at 3:53 PM, cfcs most wanted said:

This was exactly what i didn't want to hear. Another bunch of crap players from the Serie A

Nainggolan, Pogba, Dybala, Manolas and Bonucci :shifty:

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

I hope they get knocked out immediately so he can get to Cobham and start sorting out what needs to be done.

I think they'll be eliminated fairly quickly. They have so little firepower in their attack that I can't imagine them scoring much.

Their defense looks good but they're missing their two best midfielders and don't have a star striker to win them games.

Good for us.

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

I hope they get knocked out immediately so he can get to Cobham and start sorting out what needs to be done.

For me not too great but not too bad is best for us, I don't want expectations or headlines made of Conte on the back of this tournament good or bad.

Solid quarter final appearance where they go out by a goal or on pens will suit me nicely.

Sitting back and countering is 'not part of how I view football':Antonio Conte

After Antonio Conte's Italy completed their final preparatory match ahead of Euro 2016 — a straightforward 2-0 win over Finland with Chelsea-linked Antonio Candreva scoring one and assisting the other — the incoming Chelsea manager talked a bit about his tactics and strategies for the national team.  Obviously, this doesn't necessarily apply to Chelsea (one of Conte's strengths is his adaptability), but perhaps we can still glean a few ideas of what may lay in store for us once he takes over in Cobham after the Euros.

"I do everything except counter-attacks. I do not play on the counter. I never even train counter-attacks. It is not in my concept of football. When we have the ball, we have our ideas. When we lose the ball, we try to be tight, press the opposition and try to win it back as soon as possible.""Against Belgium we will have our say. Do not expect defence and counter in that game, because it is simply not part of how I view football. Counter-attacks are when you sit back and then propel yourself forward at pace. We've got players who can do that, like Ciro Immobile, Simone Zaza and others, but in my idea of football we want to play the game and use the ball. If we lose possession, we have to be aggressive and win it back in their half, as that'll make it easier for us to close on their goal.""We are working on those concepts, today we met a side that again tried to not play. Even when they went 1-0 down, they didn't change their approach. With all due respect, evidently we are doing something right if the opposition sit back in their own half and wait for us."

The key takeaway is maybe the emphasis on gaining, retaining, and using possession, as opposed to a more reactive gameplan of sitting back, winning possession deep, and countering in-behind the defense.  Chelsea have employed both strategies in recent seasons; we'll see what Conte cooks up for us.

"I experience the game with intensity and live it along with my players, so I try to pass on this enthusiasm, passion and even desire to step on to the field!""I am also getting back into the habit of being on the touchline. We'll start playing every three to four days, so I need to train my voice for shouting too.  I think the players share my concepts, I have a fine group of players and above all of men. I hope to continue working the way we have been, with determination and the desire to overcome obstacles."-Antonio Conte; source: Football Italia

Everyone acknowledges and realizes that this Italy side is one of the weakest in recent memory.  Conte's hoping to make up for any lack of skill with hard work and determination, two qualities that he will need to (re-)instill into this Chelsea bunch to elevate us beyond our current station.I don't know about you, but I can't wait for him to get started.

weaintgotnohistory

7.png

So Conte, about these academy players...

Wonder who his pick of the crop will be, every manager has one. Musonda is confirmed to be staying at Betis same with Christensen in Germany. 

Personally, I hope it's DaSilva since left-back is somewhat of an issue for us looking forward. Of course Loftus-Cheek and Traore too, but you'd think we're signing key players in those areas. Although the rate things appear to be going, the academy might be all he has.

14 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

So Conte, about these academy players...

Wonder who his pick of the crop will be, every manager has one. Musonda is confirmed to be staying at Betis same with Christensen in Germany. 

Personally, I hope it's DaSilva since left-back is somewhat of an issue for us looking forward. Of course Loftus-Cheek and Traore too, but you'd think we're signing key players in those areas. Although the rate things appear to be going, the academy might be all he has.

Is it defiently comfirmed re Andreas? Honestly I think this would be the best summer to bring him back.

If for argument sake we signed Koulibaly this summer, then Zouma comes back with a bang, he will find it hard to break that, but this year there is a real opening for Christensen to claim a place.

We should do whatever it takes to get him back, even offer Ake as a sweetener.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Is it defiently comfirmed re Andreas? Honestly I think this would be the best summer to bring him back.

If for argument sake we signed Koulibaly this summer, then Zouma comes back with a bang, he will find it hard to break that, but this year there is a real opening for Christensen to claim a place.

We should do whatever it takes to get him back, even offer Ake as a sweetener.

It was largely reported not too long ago, but haven't heard actual confirmation though you're right. I absolutely agree he should be bred in now, with Terry's role being 'different' its clear he's moving into a coaching sort of capacity. He can take Zouma and Christensen under his wing, while Cahill provides experience when needed. 

Cahill, Koulibaly, Zouma, Christensen and Terry. 

That would be nice with Ivanovic doubling as a CB (god help me if we don't replace him at right-back)

6 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

It was largely reported not too long ago, but haven't heard actual confirmation though you're right. I absolutely agree he should be bred in now, with Terry's role being 'different' its clear he's moving into a coaching sort of capacity. He can take Zouma and Christensen under his wing, while Cahill provides experience when needed. 

Cahill, Koulibaly, Zouma, Christensen and Terry. 

That would be nice with Ivanovic doubling as a CB (god help me if we don't replace him at right-back)

The centre of the pitch is what needs sorting, Id happily do a deal with the devil and have one more season of Ivan at right back if I'm offered Koulibaly, Christensen return, and two of Radja, Kante and Joao Mario, heck I'll even sign up for a Bosingwa return if we can sort that bloody middle out.