The Conte Thread

Followers 3

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, I am a Juventus italian fan and maybe I can help you to understand which kind of coach Conte is...(sorry for my english, I hope you will understand) When he arrived in Juventus, he fo

I think the fact that we stuck to our principles, pressing them high up the pitch in spurts throughout the game and more importantly, passing out from the back, even with a few mistakes (note - it goe

Posted Images

If Conte had this team for the past two seasons he would have played with a low block as well. Only way the team could win. He's not stupid.

• Like 1

Sitting back and countering is 'not part of how I view football':Antonio Conte

After Antonio Conte's Italy completed their final preparatory match ahead of Euro 2016 — a straightforward 2-0 win over Finland with Chelsea-linked Antonio Candreva scoring one and assisting the other — the incoming Chelsea manager talked a bit about his tactics and strategies for the national team.  Obviously, this doesn't necessarily apply to Chelsea (one of Conte's strengths is his adaptability), but perhaps we can still glean a few ideas of what may lay in store for us once he takes over in Cobham after the Euros.

"I do everything except counter-attacks. I do not play on the counter. I never even train counter-attacks. It is not in my concept of football. When we have the ball, we have our ideas. When we lose the ball, we try to be tight, press the opposition and try to win it back as soon as possible.""Against Belgium we will have our say. Do not expect defence and counter in that game, because it is simply not part of how I view football. Counter-attacks are when you sit back and then propel yourself forward at pace. We've got players who can do that, like Ciro Immobile, Simone Zaza and others, but in my idea of football we want to play the game and use the ball. If we lose possession, we have to be aggressive and win it back in their half, as that'll make it easier for us to close on their goal.""We are working on those concepts, today we met a side that again tried to not play. Even when they went 1-0 down, they didn't change their approach. With all due respect, evidently we are doing something right if the opposition sit back in their own half and wait for us."

The key takeaway is maybe the emphasis on gaining, retaining, and using possession, as opposed to a more reactive gameplan of sitting back, winning possession deep, and countering in-behind the defense.  Chelsea have employed both strategies in recent seasons; we'll see what Conte cooks up for us.

"I experience the game with intensity and live it along with my players, so I try to pass on this enthusiasm, passion and even desire to step on to the field!""I am also getting back into the habit of being on the touchline. We'll start playing every three to four days, so I need to train my voice for shouting too.  I think the players share my concepts, I have a fine group of players and above all of men. I hope to continue working the way we have been, with determination and the desire to overcome obstacles."-Antonio Conte; source: Football Italia

Everyone acknowledges and realizes that this Italy side is one of the weakest in recent memory.  Conte's hoping to make up for any lack of skill with hard work and determination, two qualities that he will need to (re-)instill into this Chelsea bunch to elevate us beyond our current station.I don't know about you, but I can't wait for him to get started.

weaintgotnohistory

7.png

So Conte, about these academy players...

Wonder who his pick of the crop will be, every manager has one. Musonda is confirmed to be staying at Betis same with Christensen in Germany. 

Personally, I hope it's DaSilva since left-back is somewhat of an issue for us looking forward. Of course Loftus-Cheek and Traore too, but you'd think we're signing key players in those areas. Although the rate things appear to be going, the academy might be all he has.

14 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

So Conte, about these academy players...

Wonder who his pick of the crop will be, every manager has one. Musonda is confirmed to be staying at Betis same with Christensen in Germany. 

Personally, I hope it's DaSilva since left-back is somewhat of an issue for us looking forward. Of course Loftus-Cheek and Traore too, but you'd think we're signing key players in those areas. Although the rate things appear to be going, the academy might be all he has.

Is it defiently comfirmed re Andreas? Honestly I think this would be the best summer to bring him back.

If for argument sake we signed Koulibaly this summer, then Zouma comes back with a bang, he will find it hard to break that, but this year there is a real opening for Christensen to claim a place.

We should do whatever it takes to get him back, even offer Ake as a sweetener.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Is it defiently comfirmed re Andreas? Honestly I think this would be the best summer to bring him back.

If for argument sake we signed Koulibaly this summer, then Zouma comes back with a bang, he will find it hard to break that, but this year there is a real opening for Christensen to claim a place.

We should do whatever it takes to get him back, even offer Ake as a sweetener.

It was largely reported not too long ago, but haven't heard actual confirmation though you're right. I absolutely agree he should be bred in now, with Terry's role being 'different' its clear he's moving into a coaching sort of capacity. He can take Zouma and Christensen under his wing, while Cahill provides experience when needed. 

Cahill, Koulibaly, Zouma, Christensen and Terry. 

That would be nice with Ivanovic doubling as a CB (god help me if we don't replace him at right-back)

6 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

It was largely reported not too long ago, but haven't heard actual confirmation though you're right. I absolutely agree he should be bred in now, with Terry's role being 'different' its clear he's moving into a coaching sort of capacity. He can take Zouma and Christensen under his wing, while Cahill provides experience when needed. 

Cahill, Koulibaly, Zouma, Christensen and Terry. 

That would be nice with Ivanovic doubling as a CB (god help me if we don't replace him at right-back)

The centre of the pitch is what needs sorting, Id happily do a deal with the devil and have one more season of Ivan at right back if I'm offered Koulibaly, Christensen return, and two of Radja, Kante and Joao Mario, heck I'll even sign up for a Bosingwa return if we can sort that bloody middle out.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The centre of the pitch is what needs sorting, Id happily do a deal with the devil and have one more season of Ivan at right back if I'm offered Koulibaly, Christensen return, and two of Radja, Kante and Joao Mario, heck I'll even sign up for a Bosingwa return if we can sort that bloody middle out.

Agree, our biggest strength in recent years was through the middle. Not just the so-called 'spine' of the team of Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba but we also had the likes of Gallas, Carvalho, Maka, Ballack, Essien. I don't think any other team touched that at the time from front to back.

Definitely need to get back to that.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

re: Conte comments on counter-attack. I think there is more of an emphasis in his comments about not wanting to sit back without the ball.

When we don't have the ball, I'm sure he is still tactically strong and adept to ensure that the team is organised and hard to break down so I don't see his comments being a negative.

To be honest there has been times when playing the likes of PSG and Barca in recent years (along with some of the big prem teams away) where I'd like to see a bit more adventure in our game anyway because there is no doubt we have our own players who can hurt these teams but sometimes we've seemed to concerned with what the opposition can do rather than what we can do to them.

Agree about PSG but with Barca we hadno choice, that team in 2012 most of our players of one of two profile, ex greats well and truly into father time and players simply not good enough.

Sit back and pray was our only option, and somehow we did it.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Agree about PSG but with Barca we hadno choice, that team in 2012 most of our players of one of two profile, ex greats well and truly into father time and players simply not good enough.

Sit back and pray was our only option, and somehow we did it.

Yeah that year we did what we had to do and somehow pulled it off. With Barca I have bigger regrets the year we were screwed at the Bridge because we should have taken the game to them more at the Nou Camp. They weren't at the level back then that they become.

Those comments were aimed more though at PSG games and just in general at times over the last 3-4 years. Sitting back when we had such a solid base in defence and midfield back in the day worked, but sitting back and trying to contain when we've had the likes of Hazard, Mata and Fabregas in recent years hasn't worked for a reason.

• Like 1

Absolutely made my day reading those comments. Loved it when we signed Crespo, I won't ever forget that 90th min winner v Wigan!! Really went under the radar when we think of great strikers we had who actually put on a decent showing for us :lol:. Wouldn't go as far he saying he was underrated though. He was good at what he did. 

• Like 3

Its quite funny because out of our major grade one legends of the Roman era, only Drogba and Terry have not joined another English club and won't risk their legacy's by doing it.

The category just below of Cole, Essien, Carvalho and by the  sounds of it Crespo, are the ones that have remained with only us as  far as English clubs are concerned (the first three have all gone on record saying they went out of their way to avoid playing for another English club).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Didn't know where to put this:

What a guy. Hopefully Drogba and John Terry are working at Chelsea If Crespo ever gets his chance. 

Crespo was my favroite all time non Chelsea player before we got him, all that summer it looked like Vieiri was the man we were getting from Inter, when it changed to Crespo in the last minute i was so excited it felt only one step below winning a trophy.

• Like 1