The Conte Thread

It does concern me a little how all conte's supposedly no.1 targets are not being sold, so it leaves us again with B options. Koulibaly and nainggolan look to not gonna get sold, so where do we turn next? I don't know much about rudiger, but I just don't see the likes of Roma and Napoli selling their best players if they have any chance of competing for the seria a next season. We may have to be shrewd and scout at mid table clubs across europe for those diamonds in the rough. 

10 minutes ago, Melanicus said:
  • In Italy, Conte  is known as a martello - a hammer. He pounds away at you and never stops. It doesn’t matter whether you’re John Terry or Kenedy. Reputations interest Conte little. Nor, as former Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli has found out, is talent enough on its own
  • You’re only as good as your last game, your last training session. Conte wants you to sweat. “Eat grass” was the maxim at Juventus. He expects you to cover every blade and make the same sacrifices he did as a player. Fail to do that and you’re out
  • Pirlo rates him as the best coach he has ever had. A measure of it is Conte’s knack for telling his players how he believes a game will unfold. They have lost count of the number of occasions things have gone exactly how he said they would and are left in awe. By anticipating the problems they will encounter, he’s also able to give them the solution they need to prevail. The preparation is meticulous
  • The job Conte did at Juventus is a strikingly similar to the brief one he has at Chelsea now, The Bianconeri had finished seventh in back-to-back years. They were out of Europe altogether. But Conte immediately and improbably restored the Old Lady to her throne, where she has sat ever since

The problem I see in all that is reading that bit "He pounds away at you" and with some of the massive egos in this club they will either embrace it or throw it back in his face.

2 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

The problem I see in all that is reading that bit "He pounds away at you" and with some of the massive egos in this club they will either embrace it or throw it back in his face.

I think the difference between him and Mourinho that we will see is that Conte has no invincibles. While Mourinho continued to start underperforming and unmotivated players, what it seems like in this article and from what I've heard is that Conte has no intention of allowing players to start if they don't put in 100%. I agree with you that players may not respond, but it seems as though Conte isn't going to put up with their shit.

1 minute ago, Melanicus said:

I think the difference between him and Mourinho that we will see is that Conte has no invincibles. While Mourinho continued to start underperforming and unmotivated players, what it seems like in this article and from what I've heard is that Conte has no intention of allowing players to start if they don't put in 100%. I agree with you that players may not respond, but it seems as though Conte isn't going to put up with their shit.

Well that's good then, as long as he is consistent and doesn't drop his guard throughout the season.

Rebuilding the Bridge

Make no mistake, this summer will be a rebuilding job at Stamford Bridge with Chelsea having dropped from champions to mid-table. However, Conte has the relevant experience on his CV.

He revived struggling teams at Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta and Siena, but his work at Juventus stands out the most.

Having finished in seventh in 2010/11, Conte took over from Luigi Delneri and led Juve to the league title without a single defeat, the first club to do so in Italian history.

Conceding just 20 goals in 38 games, it was their first official league title since 2003 after being stripped of two Serie A crowns for their involvement in the 2006 Calciopoli scandal.

Tactics-wise, Conte is not restricted to his 3-5-2 formation, used predominantly at Juventus and with Italy. He has been known to switch to 4-3-3 successfully, a flexibility which has seen him lose just 18 games in his 167 as a manager since starting at Juventus in 2011.

Sky in Italy reporter Gianluca Di Marzio believes rather than shoehorning players into his system, Conte would adapt his system according to the players' capabilities

In a column on his website earlier this week, Di Marzio said: "As Conte himself has said many times, he believes a good manager adapts to the personnel he has and not the other way around."

Conte was equally impressive in the transfer market, and despite some inevitable misses, hits included Andrea Pirlo (free), Paul Pogba (free), Carlos Tevez (£6.75m), Arturo Vidal (£9.4m) and Stephan Lichtsteiner (£7.5m). During his three seasons at Juve, Conte never spent over £15m on a player.

What they've said

"I am extremely lucky I met Antonio Conte, I had so many coaches to compare him too, and he is the one who surprised me the most. I was expecting a good coach, but not that good." - Andrea Pirlo, 2014, in I Think, Therefore I Play autobiography.Andrea Pirlo says he is 'lucky' to have played under Conte

"The secret of our success is the ambition our coach has. Conte has brought a new mentality to the club. He has pushed us to sweat, to find strength and to undergo hard work in order to cancel out the last two disappointing campaigns." - Gianluigi Buffon, 2012

9 hours ago, Melanicus said:
  • In Italy, Conte  is known as a martello - a hammer. He pounds away at you and never stops. It doesn’t matter whether you’re John Terry or Kenedy. Reputations interest Conte little. Nor, as former Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli has found out, is talent enough on its own
  • You’re only as good as your last game, your last training session. Conte wants you to sweat. “Eat grass” was the maxim at Juventus. He expects you to cover every blade and make the same sacrifices he did as a player. Fail to do that and you’re out
  • Pirlo rates him as the best coach he has ever had. A measure of it is Conte’s knack for telling his players how he believes a game will unfold. They have lost count of the number of occasions things have gone exactly how he said they would and are left in awe. By anticipating the problems they will encounter, he’s also able to give them the solution they need to prevail. The preparation is meticulous
  • The job Conte did at Juventus is a strikingly similar to the brief one he has at Chelsea now, The Bianconeri had finished seventh in back-to-back years. They were out of Europe altogether. But Conte immediately and improbably restored the Old Lady to her throne, where she has sat ever since

Baby Blues Boys (RLC,Baker,Traore,Timori):Capo One  should give some chances to these lads

9 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Hopefully if so they'll just get over themselves...wont have any of that refuse to play bollocks.That the case they can sod off

21 minutes ago, Italian fan said:

When he arrived in Juventus, he found a tragic situation...the previous season the team, with Del Neri, arrived at the 7th place and all the fans were demoralised.

However, the 2011 summer was spectacular: we bought Pirlo, Vidal, Vucinic and Lichtsteiner and we inaugurated the new stadium.

Thank you for your insight. I have a couple of questions for you.

1. It seems that Eden Hazard is a nailed on starter on the left wing, no doubt about that. But on the right wing Chelsea have Willian and Pedro who can play there and Cuadrado is coming back this summer. Wanted to ask you - what do you think Conte will do? Is Cuadrado one of his favourite players? Or at least he was when Conte was managing Juventus? Do you think he will prefer Cuadrado over Willian or Pedro?

2. How is Conte on the transfer market? You, asa a Juventus fan, looking over the current Chelsea squad, what do you think Conte will do? He will look to spend big in order to rebuild the squad, or try to do something with the players that are already here, maybe add one or two more?

3. And the last question - what tactics do you think Conte will use at Chelsea? 3-5-2 or 4-2-4?

Thank you.