The Conte Thread

Whoda thunk it at end of last season we would be anywhere close to where we are now.

Great work Don Conte. Congrats on win and thanks for work done so far.

Onwards and upwards waving that Blue Flag fuckin high!

Flag_zpsr1phv7nt.gif

Rightly so, he showed he owns no less than the other top managers gaining double the money and he wants salary adjustment. He did not show enough yet on international level but really this is something i think only Juventus' and Bayern's fans, sated of league titles, could criticize him for.

On 2/28/2017 at 8:55 PM, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't see how you can deduce all of that from Antonio's two thirds of a season at Chelsea.

In any case, SAF reached three Champions League finals, winning two of them. How many teams did better than that during his spell at Manchester United? Some, but not many. That might be fewer than he'd have liked, but it isn't outright failure.

I also wonder what cups count as "and what not" because he had some achievements there too. If Antonio won 12 Premier League titles, plus multiple other trophies, we'd be so happy.

SAF reached three champions league finals out of how many? 

Surely if Conte is as bad in the cup games and he gets 20 years of trying he will get to the final 1 or 2 times. 

So far what I can see is that he's better for League format then cup format. 

And to me that's not bad, I would take winning the league more frequently like SAF did.

40 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Surely if Conte is as bad in the cup games and he gets 20 years of trying he will get to the final 1 or 2 times. 

And to me that's not bad, I would take winning the league more frequently like SAF did.

Don't like Manchester United but Sir Alex definitely set a bar for managers of big clubs. Arsene Wengers gets a lot of praise...by Arsenal fans and some pundits but I just find him a poormans SAF. Even with an invincibles trophy in his pocket.

4 hours ago, Fernando said:

If nothing else, it looks like we agree that the league is always the primary target. Definitely no agreement on anything else you are talking about here however. :-)

20 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Winner winner, chicken dinner. 

Manager does well -> Everbody is euphoric and fans imagine manager staying for 10+ years -> New upgraded and extended contract -> Manager eventually does not do well -> Everybody discovers all kinds of flaws (some smart asses already saw them during the good times) and fans want him out -> Manager sent away with a colossal sack of money.

Rinse and repeat. I'll never understand this.

I've never understood appointing a new manager with a three+ year deal either. Managers get sacked all the time. Most don't even last two years.

Manager does well -> Everbody is euphoric and fans imagine manager staying for 10+ years -> New upgraded and extended contract -> Manager eventually does not do well -> Everybody discovers all kinds of flaws (some smart asses already saw them during the good times) and fans want him out -> Manager sent away with a colossal sack of money.

Yup. Reminds of May 2015 when Mourinho was the best manager of all time according to some users, even though our team showed clear weaknesses towards the end of that season and Hazard had to carry us for some months.

I just hope for Conte we don't repeat the mistakes we made in the summers of 2010 and 2015. In both transfer windows we actually weakened the squad or didn't bother to counter our problems, because we won the league.

On 03/03/2017 at 6:14 PM, Beigl said:

Yup. Reminds of May 2015 when Mourinho was the best manager of all time according to some users, even though our team showed clear weaknesses towards the end of that season and Hazard had to carry us for some months...

I don't remember any of those 'greatest manager of all time' posts but anyway, the weaknesses were very clear as soon as the early season flash form had flamed out. It's often said the last title winning squad produced wonderful football before Christmas but, in truth, the exhilarating form had long gone by the time the decorations went up.

This time around we are again clear at the top but not everything in the garden is rosey. Only those who are absolutely determined to turn a blind eye could fail to see the flaws. Does the existence of these flaws mean that Antonio is failing though? Of course it doesn't, any more than it meant Jose was in 14/15.

I believe aside from the results now the owner sees the team identity and attitude that he desired from other coaches. I also think that Roman isn't the same owner he was 10 years ago and if we didn't get to the relegation zone so close Jose would still be here. Conte will be here for a long time. I just hope that he doesn't get major disagreements with the board about transfers like he had at Juventus.

On 3/3/2017 at 9:18 AM, Fernando said:

He actually reached the final 4 times iirc, lost to Barcelona twice, beat us and Bayern.

Tell me this isn't exactly how you feel and what you do as a supporter when we score! I just love Conte doing it and also when Mou did it. That time he walked along to the camera pulling out our badge on his jacket and patting it I gotta say made me love the guy.

But I betya Roman would do this too if they was watching it together! Now thats summet we need to see!

On 3/3/2017 at 5:18 PM, Fernando said:

When he had Ronaldo in his squad he was reaching finals and winning it too.

I think Conte just like Ferguson is not the type of manager who would reach CL final with Atletico or Borussia, but give them current Real, Barca or Bayern and they would dominate CL just like they dominated their local leagues.

4 hours ago, Kieran. said:

He actually reached the final 4 times iirc, lost to Barcelona twice, beat us and Bayern.

You're right, I had forgotten that it was two finals against Barça.

That reinforces the point that the criticism of Ferguson is not valid. Also backs up the reality that, given enough players of the right quality, there is absolutely no sensible reason to believe that Antonio could not achieve excellent champions League results with this team.  Jose took a significantly less talented squad than our current one to the CL semis three seasons ago. I believe everything is possible for Antonio.