The Conte Thread

4 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

I think it will be a mix of 352/343 going forward depending on who we buy, Conte favours both systems so i dont think you can say he prefers the 352 over the 343, with our team the 343 just works better but the formation accomplishes what Conte deems important. As @Unionjack said its all fluid, Conte wants his players to understand his philosophy and make it work on the pitch. 

Also I don't understand the knock on Alonso/Moses? They have done exactly what they are supposed to do and with great effort, what more would you want from your wing backs in the situation @El P.? We havent let a goal in, and our attack has looked pretty great lately.

I'm more than happy now, with what I see from wing backs. :D From what we have, this is the best we can do, it's all good from that perspective. ;)

6 minutes ago, El P. said:

I see it's working now, don't worry, I am really pleased with performances. But I noticed that great number of our fans are sure we will play 3-4-3 for good, which I don't think is a case.

We will play whatever formation suits our players, which is great. But we will buy/develop good defender(s), I'm sure. And we will probably buy creative midfielders. And then - bye bye 3-4-3.

Just saying - don't get your perception as we will build squad around 3-4-3/3-5-2 formation. People don't use that formations often for a reason.

Pep used 3-4-3 at Bayern.

16 hours ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

It says a lot when their best attacking threat on the day was Antonio Valencia. We might have stopped them from creating any meaningful chances and perhaps we shouldn't be surprised but it's still rather shocking that they were so clueless in possession. All they did was (1) shoot from distance and (2) give Valencia the ball to put in the crosses - that's like us last season with Ivanovic, hoping that one of his hit-and-hope crosses will come off.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

It says a lot when their best attacking threat on the day was Antonio Valencia. We might have stopped them from creating any meaningful chances and perhaps we shouldn't be surprised but it's still rather shocking that they were so clueless in possession. All they did was (1) shoot from distance and (2) give Valencia the ball to put in the crosses - that's like us last season with Ivanovic, hoping that one of his hit-and-hope crosses will come off.

Ive read and watched alot of pundits and online reporters   cunts going on about Mounure either being shite or unlucky or the game woulda been totally different IF 1. Luiz was sent off or 2. We hadn't scored so quick. Theres hardly any thats been pro us or saying how good we played.

I'm quite used to all that shit tho as its the normal crap we get and it makes a nice change being the underdog and being on a good streak. But it would be nice now n then for the lads to get a good pat on the back and more than Eden to be written as playing well. Ive hardly seen N'Golos name mentioned and he was the dogs.

5 hours ago, jernej93 said:

Both Payet and Mahrez should be available in january transfer window as their clubs are in very poor form :) I would love one of them on right wing :wub:

Just bring some quality players, we don't need quantity :)

We need quality backups for our important positions . I cant see who we would use instead of Alonso or Moses and we should iupgrade our RAM eg Willian/Pedro

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

We need quality backups for our important positions . I cant see who we would use instead of Alonso or Moses and we should iupgrade our RAM eg Willian/Pedro

I think that Willian would be quite a good RWB.  Another attacker on the right would kind of let us cover 2 positions.

If Alonso goes down with an injury this season, we're kind of screwed.  Next year, we should have Baba and Kenedy back from loan.

5 minutes ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I think that Willian would be quite a good RWB.  Another attacker on the right would kind of let us cover 2 positions.

If Alonso goes down with an injury this season, we're kind of screwed.  Next year, we should have Baba and Kenedy back from loan.

I guarantee Kenedy will be back in Jan :) Watford loan has been a disaster.

5 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

I guarantee Kenedy will be back in Jan :) Watford loan has been a disaster.

I like the lad too BUT if he cant make a Watford team..................

Where would we play him? We got SUPPOSEDLY Christensen coming back. Happy trying to get fit with more playing time. Aina trying to get in team And I can see us TRYING to buy a top CB as well 1st chance we get..

And his contract runs out in June I cant see it happening. Same with Traore too I think sadly.

4 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I like the lad too BUT if he cant make a Watford team..................

Where would we play him? We got SUPPOSEDLY Christensen coming back. Happy trying to get fit with more playing time. Aina trying to get in team And I can see us TRYING to buy a top CB as well 1st chance we get..

And his contract runs out in June I cant see it happening. Same with Traore too I think sadly.

Christensen is a CB, primarily. I think he played as a CM on the rare occasion. Kenedy would be a LWB competition for Alonso. 

14 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

I found this video on MOTD of how our centerbacks cover for each other in the wide areas due to their speed. And how Conte has made them fluid at it. 

https://streamable.com/e49s

Can't watch the video now, but fluidity and covering is something I have noticed too. With 3 at the back, we have great defensive solidity, area coverage and also have the option of one of them pushing forward when it's safe/necessary to increase numbers in midfield. Azpi and Luiz do that occasionally.

We are better in possession too because the backline can afford to push higher up now without Ivanovic holding them back while the most dangerous areas are covered.. and instead of having 2 options to pass at the back, we have 3 and that is harder for the opposition to press because they would need to commit more players forward leaving them more exposed. We are using the confusion to our advantage at the moment, it's a matter of time before others start adapting their plans to our new shape and we need to be prepared for that.

Honestly, the more I think about this formation, the more I realize how clever it is and how shit 4-2-3-1 was.

I think the challenge was to play a back 3 ( 5 ) and keep the team clicking on the offensive end, unpredictable and direct. 

We have the perfect profiles in Luiz, Alonso, Moses, Kanté and the real Matic. 

Genuinely believe that these 4-5 players have been the key to the success of the system thus far. 

2 hours ago, manpe said:

Can't watch the video now, but fluidity and covering is something I have noticed too. With 3 at the back, we have great defensive solidity, area coverage and also have the option of one of them pushing forward when it's safe/necessary to increase numbers in midfield. Azpi and Luiz do that occasionally.

We are better in possession too because the backline can afford to push higher up now without Ivanovic holding them back while the most dangerous areas are covered.. and instead of having 2 options to pass at the back, we have 3 and that is harder for the opposition to press because they would need to commit more players forward leaving them more exposed. We are using the confusion to our advantage at the moment, it's a matter of time before others start adapting their plans to our new shape and we need to be prepared for that.

Honestly, the more I think about this formation, the more I realize how clever it is and how shit 4-2-3-1 was.

The 4-2-3-1 was too rigid, everyone stays in one position and few movement. But the 3-4-3 /3-5-2 is so fluid in the sense that there's cover from the wide centerbacks and it allows the front 3 to swap positions and give the opponent headaches on who to mark. 

I can't get too excited about this system. I'm fully enjoying the moment but it's only been three games. Chelsea are in a good place now and the form of many players has spiked simultaneously. But the true colours of this system will become clear when things aren't going well and teams start to figure out how to combat the new shape. I remember how Chelsea played 4-1-2-1-2 under Ancelotti at first and things were really clicking in the beginning. Great football coupled with great results. But then the team started to struggle a bit and everything went downhill quickly, and Ancelotti eventually reverted to 4-3-3.

It will be interesting to see how the team and Conte react in a tough spell.

Picking up on Conte's words on the cfc website re the back 3 makes me think the central position is a fight between Terry and Luiz.

‘The central defenders on the right and the left must be very fast and aggressive,’ said the Italian.

‘The players that play in the middle of the three defenders must be more tactical, must reflect more and find the right position, and also call the line up and down.

Fast and aggressive is certainly not a way to describe JT, i don't think he,ll be comfortable there either throughout the recent years he has always liked/needed a left back that sticks close to him (Cole/Azpi). Having a wing back flying up the wing will do nothing but expose JT.

For Luiz, as much as he could play there, i think he is relishing the responsibility on the sweeper and organising the 3 defenders, it seems to have calmed him down, plus when he does have his run forward he's got 2 + either Matic or Kante to drop and cover.

The wing back positions we look weak in numbers with no suitable back up for wither side. and now we've gone from 3 attacking mid to effectively 2, we have about 5 player fighting for one place, (Hazard is almost guaranteed one of them) with Willian, Pedro, Oscar wanting that right forward position. Conte seems to like RLC more attacking to so that is another. My preference is to put Cesc up there behind Costa. with Moses providing the width and running, not too much tracking back needed, i think he could shine in the right forward position