The Conte Thread

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1970617/betting-suspended-on-chelsea-boss-antonio-conte-to-be-the-next-premier-league-manager-to-lose-his-job/

Makes sense in a way - no manager is safe from  the Buckenalo or Sibneft crew.

Though wouldn't be surprised if Conte himself is fucked off with unfulfilled promises.

4 hours ago, Jype said:

If (and right now still a huge if) there's any truth to the rumors that Conte is close to leaving I'd guess it'd be more him handing in his resignation after the board not backing him enough in the transfer market than the board thinking he should be sacked.

Even if Conte is unhappy with unfulfilled promises, why would he quit now? They might have had some disagreement in the summer transfer window but that's already closed and doubt they would be discussing about transfers now when the main business now is winning matches.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Even if Conte is unhappy with unfulfilled promises, why would he quit now? They might have had some disagreement in the summer transfer window but that's already closed and doubt they would be discussing about transfers now when the main business now is winning matches.

Roman wants him to play Iva and Cahill and he doesnt want to :P

On 09/10/2016 at 11:08 PM, BlueLyon said:

Mate, Pep is full of talk.

He said chelsea needs 10 new players. Guess what? Every team Pep joins needs 10 new players. 

He brought 5 (or was it even more) in the summer to city and he will do again next summer, no doubt. 

He still has to play big games this season and we will see how he does. Im not even a bit certain that he will succeed as people point out. Cl is a different beast and he will struggle against english top sides too. 

City is playing nice football and they are taking pep philosophy well, no doubt he will crush average sides in premier league more comfortably than any other team, but he will have his time to prove how good he is against better teams, starting wiith Spurs which dominated them whole game. It could easily be 3:0. But everyone goes "it happens" and "it was expected". Meanwhile we lose 3:0 to arsenal and everyone loses their shit.

Pep today is a good team builder, but to get on very top, I doubt he will make it in CL, while PL is very possible since it doesnt have as strong teams as it had in past.

Not to mention he spent 180 fuckin mio and will spend around 150 next summer Im absolutely certain and then we hear he creates good teams improves teams and results etc. No shit sherlock if he can buy whole new squad. Even Bayern, who won CL and he still bought Thiago, Benatia, Lewa, Douglas, Coman, Xabi, Vidal, Bernat and failed to win CL again. Talk about efficiency.

Anceloti bought Hummels and Sanches at the expense of Gotze and Benatia. He didnt go and buy bunch of italians to suit his style personaly and to get players he coached/knew before.

Pep gets all the cash in the world to build his squads, he is obviously very smart too, but regardless he has long way to go to be best. He is consistently good and forces his style anywhere he goes, he is regarded modern tactician with great play, but he got barca on very top, which ended bad with Pep not having any plan b, continued with bayern where in 3 years ultimaltely failed to win CL with the squad he built and now with city, another club with shitload of cash to built team he wants. 

I like Pep and if he was here with cash given, he would balance us, make squad younger, better, quicker, etc. But I doubt he would make us win CL in few years or dominate PL.

Big games have to be won not played and Pep ultimately fails with that because he cant adopt to situation on the pitch. He forces opponents to play his game and it works with 90% of clubs, but the very best will exploit his play, wont get scared and wont respect his play. 

I find it ironic that he said Chelsea needs 10 players when every team he joins, he brings 10 new players and replaces half of squad who dont fit. Long story short, he sold Kroos for Thiago (I know its not all black and white, Kroos felt he wasnt respected by bayern, but at same time Pep didnt give him the role he should get. No wonder he left). Kroos is now two time CL winner and Thiago was always injured when Pep needed him. Ribery was injured alot under Pep and now he is playing very well under Carlo again. Coincidence I think not.

Basically your post is full of praise.

I'd love to have a manager who will build a team around his philosophy, crush small sides, may lose against bigger opposition, win the league anyway, win the cup, and lose the CL, José did that in 04 07 and built his legend at that time because he bought his players.The difference is Pep plays beautiful football, and thats important.All great managers bar Clough maybe needed either a lot of time of, since todays football doesnt give you that, money, and money well spent.

32 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Basically your post is full of praise.

I'd love to have a manager who will build a team around his philosophy, crush small sides, may lose against bigger opposition, win the league anyway, win the cup, and lose the CL, José did that in 04 07 and built his legend at that time because he bought his players.The difference is Pep plays beautiful football, and thats important.All great managers bar Clough maybe needed either a lot of time of, since todays football doesnt give you that, money, and money well spent.

I admire Pep, but he is not the best manager people like to point out. He just misses it on very top.

I dont like that media, himself and fans like to talk of Pep as manager who brings up clubs youth and improves players, while in reality he buys the talent and quality players like anyone else.

His style of how his teams play is what makes him different, but that was not very succesfull for past four years im europe.

Like someone said, Pep is better at marketing than coaching. 

I would like to see him take on smaller or unstable team and what he makes of it. 

7 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I admire Pep, but he is not the best manager people like to point out. He just misses it on very top.

I dont like that media, himself and fans like to talk of Pep as manager who brings up clubs youth and improves players, while in reality he buys the talent and quality players like anyone else.

His style of how his teams play is what makes him different, but that was not very succesfull for past four years im europe.

I would like to see him take on smaller or unstable team and what he makes of it. 

With respect that last line really annoys me when it's used (not just by you by anyone).

Elite managers don't have to go to shit teams or clubs to prove anything, well they shouldn't have to anyway, if you had the pick of the top clubs would you go to Sunderland? Does Roman and Bill Gates have to do evening shifts at Mcdonalds to prove they have got what it takes in the world?

The fact is if Pep wasn't a great manager he would have failed at Barca and had no choice but to take on jobs with that type of remit, but he didn't, he created argubaly the best side of all time and rightly has top clubs falling over themselves for him.

Peps CL run at Bayern may have been an anti climax, but he had created an identity there that will last for a long time, just like he did at Barca and sadly will do at City, Heynkes 12-13 all energy counter attacking at pace team was great, but was never sustainable in the long run.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

With respect that last line really annoys me when it's used (not just by you by anyone).

Elite managers don't have to go to shit teams or clubs to prove anything, well they shouldn't have to anyway, if you had the pick of the top clubs would you go to Sunderland? Does Roman and Bill Gates have to do evening shifts at Mcdonalds to prove they have got what it takes in the world?

The fact is if Pep wasn't a great manager he would have failed at Barca and had no choice but to take on jobs with that type of remit, but he didn't, he created argubaly the best side of all time and rightly has top clubs falling over themselves for him.

Peps CL run at Bayern may have been an anti climax, but he had created an identity there that will last for a long time, just like he did at Barca and sadly will do at City, Heynkes 12-13 all energy counter attacking at pace team was great, but was never sustainable in the long run.

And that's what we expect of Conte at Chelsea. Conte created a great template at juventus and is one we liked to see here as well. It's what klopp is right now doing at Liverpool and did at Dortmund. 

These types of managers build something great that merits the time and support. 

That being said, besides Arsenal, city is the best place pep could have picked because of the board and owners. They are giving him free reign. 

9 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Misses it on the very top ? He is the manager that won the most titles since he begun managing, no one is on top of him.He lost CL semi finals everytime, not being knocked out on earlier stage, its really difficult to win a CL semi final if we forgot that.

He brough youth only at Barça, at Bayern it wasnt needed, what was needed were titles, continous success, and Pep gave them that, the fact that we are judging him on how much CL he lost justifies how high his standards are, as a club we won 1 CL and its considered as the greatest achievement ever made by the club, he won 2 and lost only semi finals.

Pep is better at marketing ? I think this insult the man's daily work, thats non sense to me.

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Misses it on the very top ? He is the manager that won the most titles since he begun managing, no one is on top of him.He lost CL semi finals everytime, not being knocked out on earlier stage, its really difficult to win a CL semi final if we forgot that.

He brough youth only at Barça, at Bayern it wasnt needed, what was needed were titles, continous success, and Pep gave them that, the fact that we are judging him on how much CL he lost justifies how high his standards are, as a club we won 1 CL and its considered as the greatest achievement ever made by the club, he won 2 and lost only semi finals.

Pep is better at marketing ? I think this insult the man's daily work, thats non sense to me.

Before Pep went there Bayern wasn't chanceless against the top Spanish clubs. after the first game in the semis it was more or less already over. He made very questionable choices in the big games, especially against Atletico last season, that loss in the first game was on him, for example by fielding Bernat out of the blue. Bayern didn't get most times the most difficult opponents until the semis, except last season when they got Juve early. Pep's away record in the CL is atrocious, recently the away game against Celtic inflicts more pain.

Tbf, Pep kept Bayern at a high level, but from someone like Pep you expect more, the Bundesliga isn't what it used to be. Pep's style of play requires very good and expensive footballers, doubt he could pull off something the likes of Klopp or Simeone have achieved over the years. You say Champions-League is too much to ask, but the fact that he couldn't make one youth player great at Bayern puts his reputation as a 'youth lover' into perspective. By having matured players such as KdB, Sterling, Stones around, Pep ticks all the right boxes...make no mistake, the Catalan is a class coach. Similar to Klopp, he knows how to sell himself, some might call it marketing ability, Wilson 'liderazgo'. At the end i don't think he's better than someone like Simeone. Still hasn't won a title in England, Christmas will be an interesting watch.

If Conte is very astute he will take our Costa right now and bring bats. 

2 to 0 in the game the team should be able to close this down and save him for the next game. Because more then likely he can get a silly yellow and miss the next game. 

Show your intelligence Conte and do the smart play before the second half starts. 

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

If Conte is very astute he will take our Costa right now and bring bats. 

2 to 0 in the game the team should be able to close this down and save him for the next game. Because more then likely he can get a silly yellow and miss the next game. 

Show your intelligence Conte and do the smart play before the second half starts. 

Even Costa himself agreed with you :D

I love the 3-4-3, please let this be a permanent thing Antonio.