Mikel not scared of competition

John Obi Mikel is aware of the speculation linking several top players with moves to Chelsea, but is ready to fight for his place in the side.

Luiz Felipe Scolari has been appointed as manager at Stamford Bridge and the Brazilian is expected to make a number of signings before the start of the new season.

The likes of Ronaldinho, Deco, Rafael van der Vaart and Ricardo Quaresma have all been mentioned as possible transfer targets.

There is already fierce competition for places in midfield but Mikel is not worried about who may or may not arrive.

"I am not afraid to hear about one player or another coming to Chelsea," Mikel told brilafm.net.

"It's something that makes me stronger. You should know that I would have left Chelsea long ago if I had been scared or something like a chicken-hearted player."

johnobimikel_679363.jpg

Mikel has never had any dealings with Scolari and is unsure what he will bring to the club.

He said: "I don't know him and I have not met him before.

"I don't even know what to expect from the coach because we have not spoken yet. I will only be able to know something about him when we meet during pre-season."

Mikel has also praised Blues team-mate Michael Ballack for leading Germany to the final of Euro 2008.

"Ballack is a top player, I am always learning things from him," he said.

"He is a top, top player, he can do everything. I am not too far from his level and when I reach there I will be very proud."

Source: Sky Sports

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's certainly had his ups and down Mikel, but most of the time I do feel he's been harshly treated by referees due to the fact of his sheer size.

He's more than shown he can become a top player in the future and I'm sure he'll be around for a good while yet. With Maka due to end his career sooner or later he should have no problem slotting into that holding role. I'd rather have him there than Essien as I feel Essien offers a whole lot more going forward and when he's restricted to a defensive position we lose some of our options going forward and dont look as effective.

I like mikel a lot, would like to see him come into his own a bit more this season under Scolari, i think he has a lot more to offer us in an attacking sense and it would be great for us to see that side of him. I like his attitude too.

I like mikel a lot, would like to see him come into his own a bit more this season under Scolari, i think he has a lot more to offer us in an attacking sense and it would be great for us to see that side of him. I like his attitude too.

He'll have to work on his shooting cause its horrendous :D

His presence I'm sure is frightening to opponents, knowing he's thundering into a 50/50 with you would make the hairs on your back stand up.

He'll have to work on his shooting cause its horrendous :D

His presence I'm sure is frightening to opponents, knowing he's thundering into a 50/50 with you would make the hairs on your back stand up.

He is a big lad thats for sure!!

I would really like this to be the big season for him to step up! His first season was a lot better than most expected. I don't feel he was used enough or properly last season. He is a big talent and we need to get the best out of him now.