Ola Aina

Spike

I don't get why people say that we waste talents. Di Santo, Sinclair, Sahar, Kakuta, McEachren, Stoch.. No academy player proved that we made a mistake by selling them. I think if they were talented enough they could have shown they quality on loan or at other teams. Lukaku and Christensen could instantly play great in the highest level.

19 minutes ago, Yeboii said:

What a shame. We gave him a better life and everything for him to leave us because "he might have a better shot at the first XI" at West Ham.. WHEN HE IS STILL 16!!!

Footballers nowadays are ungrateful fuckers

22 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Those guys failed to make it because they are not good enough. That is the long and the short of it. What's more that was clear from the off.

Gael, for example, has wonderful touch and dribbling skills but that, in itself, is not enough. I wrote him off as a Chelsea player less than twenty minutes after kick-off of the first under 18s game I ever saw him play. (Vs Cardiff at Stamford bridge.)

When Jose made his ill-advised attempt to bolster Nate's confidence by pretty much promising the lad a place in the squad after one more spell on loan, I predicted that TSO would never be able to make good on that promise. That was because Nate simply is not good enough to earn that place and I knew it because I had seen him play for the 18s & 21s then watched him play for Watford.

It's easy for people to get carried away by young players but just hoping they are better than they are is not going to help. Unless the help being sought is a made up excuse to bash Chelsea and Chelsea people.

15 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

Fair enough, may be Nouble was not a good example. What about someone like bertrand. Loaned here, loaned there. One season at a club and he got into the PFA team of the year, last year, IIRC. Why is that? Is it because the youngsters need time and confidence? Ofcourse they do. 

I have to massively disagree with Aina's chances to succeed at chelsea being equal at any other big club. Thats simply wrong. Barcelona gave fair chances to the likes of tello, sandro, haddidi, bojan, affelay. These players did not just get a useless minute when we were leading 5-0 at home to a relegation. They have got proper auditions. Thats why for every tello, their is a thiago, for every affelay their is a rafinha, a sergi roberto. The chance of a "youth player" succeeding at a big club is literally exponential at clubs like Barca, Bayern, ATM, arsenal, spurs, pool, because they actually care about their youth products and give them a chance, 

For us, the youth system is a useless entity. We cant boast of one single youth product JT. what an absolute shame. Even RM can boast of generating Jese and Morata. Who can we? 

I remember back in 2010, when we won the first of many youth cups, the investment made by Roman into the academy was reaping it's first reward, and that mixed with the fact we were ditching experience and replacing them with young player's, led to multiple articles of "what would our team look like in 2016" ie now, guess which type of players featured in those fantasy future teams? Delac, Billy and Conor Clifford, Bruma, Van Aanholt, Deen Conteh, Mancienne, Stoch, McEachran, Kakuta, could you imagine if we went into this season with that band as our key players? Well the nicest way I can put it is two of Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich would be staying up this season instead of just the one.

Honestly, and this is for @chelseafan26 and every one else who slates the club every time there's a rumour of an under 22 leaving, how many of those players that I mentioned above did you also believe deserved more chances in the first team?

Also just something is also like to add, Terry wasn't the last youth player to break through, Bertrand was, just because he was sold in the end doesn't change that, he was a fill time member of the first team squad for three years playing about 70 games and won three major trophies, that's breaking through in my book.

Also, Afferly already had numerous first team games for PSV before Barca got him, if you are going to praise Barca for him, you should praise us for Mikel and Zouma for the sake of consistency.

57 minutes ago, Tomo said:

guess which type of players featured in those fantasy future teams? Delac, Billy and Conor Clifford, Bruma, Van Aanholt, Deen Conteh, Mancienne, Stoch, McEachran, Kakuta, could you imagine if we went into this season with that band as our key players? Well the nicest way I can put it is two of Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich would be staying up this season instead of just the one.

No they wouldn't. One of MK Dons or Charlton would be. :)

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

I remember back in 2010, when we won the first of many youth cups, the investment made by Roman into the academy was reaping it's first reward, and that mixed with the fact we were ditching experience and replacing them with young player's, led to multiple articles of "what would our team look like in 2016" ie now, guess which type of players featured in those fantasy future teams? Delac, Billy and Conor Clifford, Bruma, Van Aanholt, Deen Conteh, Mancienne, Stoch, McEachran, Kakuta, could you imagine if we went into this season with that band as our key players? Well the nicest way I can put it is two of Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich would be staying up this season instead of just the one.

Honestly, and this is for @chelseafan26 and every one else who slates the club every time there's a rumour of an under 22 leaving, how many of those players that I mentioned above did you also believe deserved more chances in the first team?

Also just something is also like to add, Terry wasn't the last youth player to break through, Bertrand was, just because he was sold in the end doesn't change that, he was a fill time member of the first team squad for three years playing about 70 games and won three major trophies, that's breaking through in my book.

Also, Afferly already had numerous first team games for PSV before Barca got him, if you are going to praise Barca for him, you should praise us for Mikel and Zouma for the sake of consistency.

Without a doubt I would say Bruma, Kakuta and Josh. How can you say that we would be relegated if we had these 3. We destroyed their careers. Kakuta was one of the best talents in the world and we kept loaning him out to one club or another. Obviously the kid was going to get screwed. We have no clue about youth development. Just look at the way we dealt with Bruma. His performance for us was horrendous that day and I admit it. But by god, thats what youth players do. Look at bellerin's performance against stoke when they conceded 4 or more goals last season (or maybe this one). Did Wenger drop bellerin? NO. He trusted the guy and look at him now. One of the best right backs in the league. Youth need trust and time. We give nothing to them.

Our handling of Josh was another masterpiece. Here is a 17 year old kid who has the touch of world class player as well the vision. What do we do? We make him a millionaire and start the merry go round. Even after his swansea disaster, we should have kept him, made him understand the importance of improving and training rather than partying with that Girl friend of his. We should have let the likes of JT, DD, Cech mentor him. 

These were really good talents and we have wasted each of them. To say that they would have panned out similarly is downright Naive and silly. It does take one to be a rocket scientist to understand why we cant produce one, single youth product while the likes of ATM, Barca, Bayern, arsenal so many good ones.

as for bertrand. Was he a youth player? Bought from gillinham at the age of 16, then loaned to bournemoth, oldham, norwich, reading, Forest before breaking into the first team squad in 2011. Well, you can call him a "youth player", I dont think his development and success had anything to do with our academy. JT might have been bought from WHU at 15, but he broke through the youth ranks. I am not sure if i am able to explain my point of view perfectly. But by youth i mean who has been trained at the club for some year atleast and we help that player in his development, just like we did with JT. Or barcelona has for the likes of bartra, sandro ramirez, busquets, Iniesta, sergie roberto, rafinha alcantara, el haddidi and messi. And thats the reason why they are the best team in the world.

On 25.04.2016 at 11:49 PM, OhForAGreavsie said:

Those guys failed to make it because they are not good enough. That is the long and the short of it. What's more that was clear from the off.

Gael, for example, has wonderful touch and dribbling skills but that, in itself, is not enough. I wrote him off as a Chelsea player less than twenty minutes after kick-off of the first under 18s game I ever saw him play. (Vs Cardiff at Stamford bridge.)

When Jose made his ill-advised attempt to bolster Nate's confidence by pretty much promising the lad a place in the squad after one more spell on loan, I predicted that TSO would never be able to make good on that promise. That was because Nate simply is not good enough to earn that place and I knew it because I had seen him play for the 18s & 21s then watched him play for Watford.

It's easy for people to get carried away by young players but just hoping they are better than they are is not going to help. Unless the help being sought is a made up excuse to bash Chelsea and Chelsea people.

Edit: Correction, it was Scott Sinclair I wrote off after 20 minutes of that Cardiff game. The first game I saw Kakuta in was vs Man City u18s. Same 20 minutes though. :(

So Chelsea got transfer ban, PR disaster and potential other troubles for a youngster that you wrote off after 20 minutes ? Please behave with this "I told you so" moment.

4 hours ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

So Chelsea got transfer ban, PR disaster and potential other troubles for a youngster that you wrote off after 20 minutes ? Please behave with this "I told you so" moment.

There was, ultimately, no ban although the suspicion persists that we bought our way out of it.

My behaviour is fine and yes I did, correctly, write Kakuta off after 20 minutes. Anyone who had watched Gael dispassionately, rather than with this determined to be pleased attitude many display toward young/new players, would have done so too. Many are still displaying the same attitude toward our current crop of development players. Gael is not the only one I picked out then either: -

There was a lad playing his last match, a lad who was deciding between offers from both Old Firm clubs. I have forgotten his name as I type but if I search out the post in question I'll be reminded of it. I predicted that he would not make it at either of those clubs. He went to Rangers and flopped.

Players I picked out that I liked from that youth team were Hutchison, Bertrand, Cork and the one I liked most of all, Bridcutt. Of those we know what happened to Hutch, Liam seems to have settled at Championship level, while the other two have latched on at Premier league clubs.

If you'd like a more comprehensive list of I told you so's, including Torres, you need only ask.

Edit: The lad who moved to Rangers is Dean Furman.

3 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

Kyle isn't going to make it at Chelsea anyway so a move is a good idea for him.

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Kyle isn't going to make it at Chelsea anyway so a move is a good idea for him.

It's not so much if the one, individual player will make it. Odds are, just as you say, that he will not make it, simply because he lacks quality to be in the team.And that's fine.
What is worrying, at least from what is transpiring from these latest news, is that in the span of a week, a number of our young players either demanded extravagant wages, handed transfer requests or moved on to other clubs. Doesn't sound too rosy.

22 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

Without a doubt I would say Bruma, Kakuta and Josh. How can you say that we would be relegated if we had these 3. We destroyed their careers. Kakuta was one of the best talents in the world and we kept loaning him out to one club or another. Obviously the kid was going to get screwed. We have no clue about youth development. Just look at the way we dealt with Bruma. His performance for us was horrendous that day and I admit it. But by god, thats what youth players do. Look at bellerin's performance against stoke when they conceded 4 or more goals last season (or maybe this one). Did Wenger drop bellerin? NO. He trusted the guy and look at him now. One of the best right backs in the league. Youth need trust and time. We give nothing to them.

Our handling of Josh was another masterpiece. Here is a 17 year old kid who has the touch of world class player as well the vision. What do we do? We make him a millionaire and start the merry go round. Even after his swansea disaster, we should have kept him, made him understand the importance of improving and training rather than partying with that Girl friend of his. We should have let the likes of JT, DD, Cech mentor him. 

These were really good talents and we have wasted each of them. To say that they would have panned out similarly is downright Naive and silly. It does take one to be a rocket scientist to understand why we cant produce one, single youth product while the likes of ATM, Barca, Bayern, arsenal so many good ones.

as for bertrand. Was he a youth player? Bought from gillinham at the age of 16, then loaned to bournemoth, oldham, norwich, reading, Forest before breaking into the first team squad in 2011. Well, you can call him a "youth player", I dont think his development and success had anything to do with our academy. JT might have been bought from WHU at 15, but he broke through the youth ranks. I am not sure if i am able to explain my point of view perfectly. But by youth i mean who has been trained at the club for some year atleast and we help that player in his development, just like we did with JT. Or barcelona has for the likes of bartra, sandro ramirez, busquets, Iniesta, sergie roberto, rafinha alcantara, el haddidi and messi. And thats the reason why they are the best team in the world.

So we ruined their careers because we sent them out on loan? Most young players go out on loan first these days at most top clubs, most of the players Fergie promoted in his late years went through the loan system first, Welbeck, Cleverly main examples.

To blame the club for Bruma, Kakuta and Josh is ridiculous, is it also the clubs fault that Conor Clifford is a Boreham Wood squad player instead of our captain right now? (I thought he had that potential, which has to go down as my worst error of judgement in history). 

Bruma had two chances on loan, and to put it nicely he was rubbish both times, first to Leicester (and the nicest thing I heard said about him by a Leicester fan is that he made Ben Mee look like John Terry) then to Hamburg on a two year loan, yes a similar two year loan that Christensen has used to play his way into Contes plans (by all accounts).

Gael just didn't have enough substance to his game, yes he was flashy and skillful but that was about it, compare him to the likes of De Bruyne (the one time we did geuinenly screw up) and Musonda and its night and day.

Josh well, the best game I can use to describe Josh is the FA Cup semi final he played for Wigan vs Arsenal, on the ball he looked ok, but off it he was horrendous, had no positional sense or tactical awareness and left James McArthur to do the job off two men, you often moan about how weak off the ball Cesc is, you would have gone blue if Josh became a regular, and before you say it I'm not just basing my judgement on a display vs Arsenal, I saw many of his various games out on loan and met the same conclusion every time.

Do I think the club could have done better? Yes, but ultimately if those three were top players they would have found a way, could you imagine a young Courtois or De Bruyne failing on loan at Bolton, Fulham, Leicester and Swansea? No I can't, because it simply wouldn't have happened.

Also with Bertrand, he joined the club at 15 which makes him an academy product in my book, it's a shame Mou never rotated defence because I like him as a squad player.

7 hours ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

This article is funny, it alludes to the fact players, like Solanke, are unhappy about how much they're getting paid. This coming from reports RLC earns £60k, but iirc Sturridge was being paid the same when he was transferred from City's academy. 

If they're chasing a better payday then they're welcome to leave. Our academy's success in their competition level speaks for itself on nights like tonight.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

So we ruined their careers because we sent them out on loan? Most young players go out on loan first these days at most top clubs, most of the players Fergie promoted in his late years went through the loan system first, Welbeck, Cleverly main examples.

To blame the club for Bruma, Kakuta and Josh is ridiculous, is it also the clubs fault that Conor Clifford is a Boreham Wood squad player instead of our captain right now? (I thought he had that potential, which has to go down as my worst error of judgement in history). 

Bruma had two chances on loan, and to put it nicely he was rubbish both times, first to Leicester (and the nicest thing I heard said about him by a Leicester fan is that he made Ben Mee look like John Terry) then to Hamburg on a two year loan, yes a similar two year loan that Christensen has used to play his way into Contes plans (by all accounts).

Gael just didn't have enough substance to his game, yes he was flashy and skillful but that was about it, compare him to the likes of De Bruyne (the one time we did geuinenly screw up) and Musonda and its night and day.

Josh well, the best game I can use to describe Josh is the FA Cup semi final he played for Wigan vs Arsenal, on the ball he looked ok, but off it he was horrendous, had no positional sense or tactical awareness and left James McArthur to do the job off two men, you often moan about how weak off the ball Cesc is, you would have gone blue if Josh became a regular, and before you say it I'm not just basing my judgement on a display vs Arsenal, I saw many of his various games out on loan and met the same conclusion every time.

Do I think the club could have done better? Yes, but ultimately if those three were top players they would have found a way, could you imagine a young Courtois or De Bruyne failing on loan at Bolton, Fulham, Leicester and Swansea? No I can't, because it simply wouldn't have happened.

Also with Bertrand, he joined the club at 15 which makes him an academy product in my book, it's a shame Mou never rotated defence because I like him as a squad player.

First of all, Cesc is a 28 year old MAN. Josh was a 17 year old BOY. How many 17 year olds are there in the world who have a 6 foot frame and lukaku's body strenght. YOU HAVE TO BUILD THOSE ASPECTS of their play. You have to mould them physically, mentally, emotionally. You have to give them experience. How many loans did segi roberto have? How many loan spells did Thomas Muller have. Loaning a kid for gametime is one thing when you think he is ready for first team action at some club and he needs to evolve his game which will come only with regular gametime. 

Blindly loaning 17/18 year olds like Josh, when their character and physicality needs more moulding than his gameplay is exactly the reason why we have lost So many talents. Kakuta was the same as JOSH. What he needed was mentoring. NOT to be loaned out to some arbit shit team where they do not care about him. A parent club is supposed to do the best for the kids. We have made a bloody flesh market of these kids. 

Again Courtois and Kdb. How can you compare multi million signings of already first teamers in their previous clubs to the YOUTH players. Mate, their is a massive difference between "YOUNG" players and "YOUTH" players. If i remember correctly, I have already gone through that once. You can go back to it and see my definition of it. comparing the likes of Thibaut and kDB to Josh and Kakuta is as naive as the club's idiotic policy of loaning them left right and center. 

I dont know how else to explain. We have screwed their careers. If you cant see the talents of Gael Kakuta then I honestly cant help you. Are you saying that the club almost got a ban for a player who they thought was average? Sorry mate, I find that hard to believe. We can agree to disagree here. But well, the results are there for everyone to see. 

NOT A SINGLE PLAYER THROUGH THE YOUTH RANKS (that should take out any ambiguity about Bertrand), since JT. The only youth player is looking like actually making it here is RLC. and guess what he has not been on loan. And by god, I hope it stays as that, otherwise this is another MASSIVE TALENT that we would be screwed. 

6 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

First of all, Cesc is a 28 year old MAN. Josh was a 17 year old BOY. How many 17 year olds are there in the world who have a 6 foot frame and lukaku's body strenght. YOU HAVE TO BUILD THOSE ASPECTS of their play. You have to mould them physically, mentally, emotionally. You have to give them experience. How many loans did segi roberto have? How many loan spells did Thomas Muller have. Loaning a kid for gametime is one thing when you think he is ready for first team action at some club and he needs to evolve his game which will come only with regular gametime. 

Blindly loaning 17/18 year olds like Josh, when their character and physicality needs more moulding than his gameplay is exactly the reason why we have lost So many talents. Kakuta was the same as JOSH. What he needed was mentoring. NOT to be loaned out to some arbit shit team where they do not care about him. A parent club is supposed to do the best for the kids. We have made a bloody flesh market of these kids. 

Again Courtois and Kdb. How can you compare multi million signings of already first teamers in their previous clubs to the YOUTH players. Mate, their is a massive difference between "YOUNG" players and "YOUTH" players. If i remember correctly, I have already gone through that once. You can go back to it and see my definition of it. comparing the likes of Thibaut and kDB to Josh and Kakuta is as naive as the club's idiotic policy of loaning them left right and center. 

I dont know how else to explain. We have screwed their careers. If you cant see the talents of Gael Kakuta then I honestly cant help you. Are you saying that the club almost got a ban for a player who they thought was average? Sorry mate, I find that hard to believe. We can agree to disagree here. But well, the results are there for everyone to see. 

NOT A SINGLE PLAYER THROUGH THE YOUTH RANKS (that should take out any ambiguity about Bertrand), since JT. The only youth player is looking like actually making it here is RLC. and guess what he has not been on loan. And by god, I hope it stays as that, otherwise this is another MASSIVE TALENT that we would be screwed. 

Ok you're right, it's all the clubs fault, poor Conor Clifford , if only we treated him right he would be as good as prime Gerrard right now instead of at Boreham Woods bench :(

Do you know what the funny thing is? I actually agree in terms of natural talent, but natural talent is only 1% of the equation of making it as a footballer, I know two lads who on talent alone are good enough for League one football atleast (both got trials for Plymouth and one of them even played for.them a few times), do you know what happened to them? One is currently stacking shelfs at Tesco and last I saw of the other he was delivering Dominos.

6 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

I don't believe in any of this.. If Kakuta or McEachren were talented enough they would be great players now. Talent finds his way. Kakuta played like 20 matches at Chelsea but he was obviously not good enough, then he got several chances at several clubs. Bolton, Fulham, Lazio, Vitesse were all disappointing spells, also there were problems with his attitude. He was quite ok at Dijon and Rayo, but he was/is nowhere near to make it here.

Same with McEachren.. He had some good games here, but if he was that good he could show his talent on loan. 

Yeah, Bayern have Thomas Müller and Lahm, but that's it.. Müller was promoted like 7-8 years ago, so it's not like they were using their youth product that much, even though they win Bundesliga in like every february.

30 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Ok you're right, it's all the clubs fault, poor Conor Clifford , if only we treated him right he would be as good as prime Gerrard right now instead of at Boreham Woods bench :(

Do you know what the funny thing is? I actually agree in terms of natural talent, but natural talent is only 1% of the equation of making it as a footballer, I know two lads who on talent alone are good enough for League one football atleast (both got trials for Plymouth and one of them even played for.them a few times), do you know what happened to them? One is currently stacking shelfs at Tesco and last I saw of the other he was delivering Dominos.

Conor clifford is the same talent as Josh or kakuta or RLC or Colkett or musonda or boga. Fine mate. There is only so much logical arguments one can give.

What i find weird is that, we have dominated Fa youth cup for 6 or 5 years now. We have dominated Youth league for 4 years now (3 years in uefa youth league and 1 year in that weird youth competition which got scrapped, i think we lost to villa in the final and ake played in the mid). But yet, we are the worst team in the numbers for youth players. Yes, you are definitely right. Its the players' fault. They are hopeless. :lol: