The Mourinho Thread

Its all about stereotypes...Chelsea/Mou public picture is bad, they think of us as football destroyers, people will alway speak about us like that. Real on other side, everyone loves their superstars and ''fancy football''. Even if we both play same football type, they will call our performance cowardly, while praising Real.

I agree though, Bayern are possesion based, while Atletico is counter, high pressing team. We should try to attack more, not just sit deep. Still, we played away and got decent result. Bayern lost. That is all what matters.

Its all about stereotypes...Chelsea/Mou public picture is bad, they think of us as football destroyers, people will alway speak about us like that. Real on other side, everyone loves their superstars and ''fancy football''. Even if we both play same football type, they will call our performance cowardly, while praising Real.

I agree though, Bayern are possesion based, while Atletico is counter, high pressing team. We should try to attack more, not just sit deep. Still, we played away and got decent result. Bayern lost. That is all what matters.

I dont think we played same football type. Two completely different matches.

Mourinho in 2010: Playing a weakened team is ‘unacceptable’

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho admitted after his side 0-0 draw with Atletico Madrid that he would like to field a reserve team in their top of the table Premier League game at Liverpool on Sunday.

With his second-placed side five points adrift of leaders Liverpool with only three games left, Mourinho is clearly prioritising next week's Champions League semi-final second leg at home against Atletico over their slim Premier League title hopes.

Asked on ITV Sport if he would select a weaker team against Liverpool, Mourinho replied: "I think I will but it's something we have to speak about internally. It's not a decision a manager can make on his own."

Funny how times, and attitudes, change. Back in 2010, shortly after taking over as manager of Real Madrid, Mourinho was involved in a blazing row with Sporting Gijon counterpart Manuel Preciado after Preciado appeared to do precisely the same thing.

In September 2010, Preciado made eight changes for a midweek clash at Barcelona, then made nine changes in the following game as Sporting tried to cope with three matches in seven days.

Sporting lost the clash at the Camp Nou 1-0, and Mourinho was furious that Preciado had not played all his regular starters against Real's title rivals noting that: "you can't do this in England."

"A team shouldn't give away a game cheaply," said Mourinho about Sporting's team selection.

"They should play to the maximum every match. You can't do this in England because you get punished. Let's see if they do it against us.

"If they play in the Cup with their first team and against us with their second team, I would be grateful. "

The late Preciado, who died in 2012, was furious with Mourinho's comments at the time and hit back saying:

"It could just be a bad joke or it could be a provocation for the Barcelona coach," he said.

"But if he is saying what he really thinks, I think he is despicable, and a bad professional colleague.

"I don't like it at all. If Madrid don't teach him respect, I'll show him. We deserve the same respect that he has.

"To say that Sporting, who have killed themselves to win promotion and stay in the top flight, would give up on a game... Who the hell does he think he is?

"I don't know the guy because he comes from another galaxy. I haven't won the titles he has, but I have won promotions with teams and won games. I know how to win and lose.

"He's used to winning but that will pass. He will lose. If you spit up in the air, it eventually falls back down again."

The circus continued to roll on with Real Madrid then releasing a statement condemning Preciado's rebuttal saying that Mourinho had made his comments in an effort to promote the "sporting spirit" that should be present in every match and to "keep the competition clean."

The Spanish Football Federation even went so far as to investigate the comments from all parties, and while both coaches escaped without punishment, all Liga managers were told to "moderate their statements" in the wake of the row.

The two coaches eventually resolved their difference and Mourinho was one of the first to pay tribute to Preciado when he tragically died of a heart attack in 2012.

"Manolo was always an honourable opponent, who I got to know well when he came to visit us in March," Mourinho said in an open letter.

"He had everything that I like in a person and in sportsmen: character, openness and the courage to fight against blows. We have been left by a football figure and above all by a very special person. My memory of him will be heartfelt and permanent."

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/mourinho-2010-playing-weakened-teams-unacceptable-121515648.html

i think the answer is obviously yes

More offensive? Yes (I don't think it's possible to be any less). Conservative still? Extremely, and in my opinion perhaps excessively.

@RichJolly

Chelsea's CL semi-final scores under Mourinho: 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0. 1 goal scored in 480 minutes (inc extra time).

More offensive? Yes (I don't think it's possible to be any less). Conservative still? Extremely, and in my opinion perhaps excessively.

@RichJolly

Chelsea's CL semi-final scores under Mourinho: 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0. 1 goal scored in 480 minutes (inc extra time).

Thats really interesting, and in all of those matches the adversary wasn't really stronger, actually in 05 and again in 07, Chelsea was by far the strongest side, specially in 05, when the difference between Liverpool and Chelsea in PL was almost 40 points.

It's Jose' word against theirs, obviously he was being sarcastic but can they prove it? They'll charge him anyway but I find it ridiculous.

Technically he never said anything insulting about them, so I'd like to see how the FA can prove otherwise. The mongs are probably just trying to ruffle Mourinho's feathers.

And is this any surprise? With United on the wane (for now at least), the FA would no doubt want to promote their next biggest item (in terms of league titles and fan-base) Liverpool

No, it isn't the same. Real did that against a possession based, tiki-taka side in Bayern Munich, everyone knows that you sit deep and counter against a Pep side. Real were brilliant on the counter, committing 4/5 men forward. Us on the other hand whenever we did get the chance to counter only committed about 2 men forward. Plus, Atletico Madrid don't even play a possession based game.

IMO (which I know I might get blasted for by some on here) we showed AM a bit too much respect. The line up we sent out there was okay, the defensive strategy we employed was impressive but we were horrible going forward on the counter. There's no denying that we could've been a lot more adventurous going forward on Tuesday night.

We didn't need to play "attractive football" (whatever your definition of that is) but we were far too conservative I think.

I absolutely agree. I was saying this on the live game thread!

At the time I wanted Salah (who I had forgotten was cup tied) to be subbed in for Rambo so we could have more speed/dribbling ability and actually be dangerous in the counters.

0-0 was not that good of a result for what the game turned out to be. Our first half was sublime, but when everyone realised Atletico were piss poor going foward and wouldnt score (at around the 50-60min mark), Mourinho could have very well tried to comeback with a win (imo)...

But whatever, we will beat them at Stamford Bridge and go to Lisbon. I'm pretty confident about it!

Thats really interesting, and in all of those matches the adversary wasn't really stronger, actually in 05 and again in 07, Chelsea was by far the strongest side, specially in 05, when the difference between Liverpool and Chelsea in PL was almost 40 points.

Indeed. Jose has lost 5 out of his 7 semi-finals thus far, and I can't help but wonder if he should adopt a less conservative approach.

Our aggregate score in the 3 CL semis with Jose — 1-2 (second leg against Atletico still to be included)

Our aggregate score in the 3 CL semis without Jose — 8-6

Interestingly in our 4 meetings with Liverpool in the CL knockout stages, we lost twice (both with Mourinho) and won twice (both without Mourinho).

I dont see any kind of tik-taka in Bayern game, they are a completely different animal when compared to Barcelona. They play a lot more with their wingers and full backs, and they try a lot more aerial balls. They just have a possession based game, but I just think the tiki-taka thing became an overused word these days.

But I agree about the rest. You don't need to be ultra-conservative. There are many ways to win a match, you dont't have to decide between being ultra-defensive or having a possession based game. Real Madrid and Chelsea had completely different strategies. While Real was there to win in the counter attack, it was clear Mourinho wanted a 0-0 from the beginning.

I agree with you in a sense that it isn't traditional Barcelona/Cruijf tiki taka, but IMO the essence of the tiki taka is still there. It's not Barcelona tiki taka but it's a variant - Pep has played people like Muller or Gotze as a false nine for Bayern before so the essence of the system is still there to be found in some variance. When Mandzukic is on it obviously changes to a more aerial game for them - but the idea is still there - defending with the ball and attacking with it via short patient passing, possession play however as you said they're more direct in a sense that Robben and Ribery carry the ball more thus making it a slightly more direct version.

Apart from that the rest of your post is spot on.