The Mourinho Thread

I'd have him back as early as possible and finally let him create his dynasty like Ferguson has done with ManUre.

I'd let him build a dynasty too but hes not really remained at a club long enough to have actually created one and then had to complete the cycle and start again. Maybe he might suck at putting teams together with the long term in mind but saying that how can the special one suck at anything? :D

Every team he assembled was either de-assembled because he signed the players or tweaked by other managers due to player preferences and all that.

Fergie has created more than enough teams in his time, as has Louis Van Gaal. They would be ideal for building a dynasty but very very very unlikely. Guardiola you could say built a dynasty too at Barca.. he recycled the major core of the team anyway.

Madrid papers saying hes definitely leaving in june. B)

If hes any sense hed stay away from the SW 6 circus , and I expect his advisors now are telling him not to come anywhere near Chelsea

Chelsea doesn't make any sense for Mourinho. What's he going to accomplish here that he already hasn't? Maybe if we hadn't won the CL recently, he might be interested, but I don't see him going somewhere just to build a dynasty. Not his style. Also, don't really see Roman wanting him back. If Roman wants flowing attacking football, that's really not Mourinho's style. The players we bought (small, skilled, defensively ambivalent) don't fit his preferred style anyway. Also, Chelsea is pretty unappealing for Managers these days.

Chelsea doesn't make any sense for Mourinho. What's he going to accomplish here that he already hasn't? Maybe if we hadn't won the CL recently, he might be interested, but I don't see him going somewhere just to build a dynasty. Not his style. Also, don't really see Roman wanting him back. If Roman wants flowing attacking football, that's really not Mourinho's style. The players we bought (small, skilled, defensively ambivalent) don't fit his preferred style anyway. Also, Chelsea is pretty unappealing for Managers these days.

He genuinely liked London. The only way he'd come back is for Abramovich wanting to ingratiate himself with the fans, and offering the Portugeezer an enormous pot of cash. This wont happen.

Agree with all of this. He won't stick around long and I don't know what the plan would be for him to be honest. If you look at his previous jobs then they all have similar motifs - we want you to come in and win NOW. What we want is completely different. We want someone to come in and build something new and long-term.

I think that's probably why Man City would be the ideal spot for him. The target there would be Champions League within three years - that's Mourinho down to a tee. The United job would be slightly different - they'd want success after Ferguson to basically show everyone that they can survive when he goes. He could well win something there, but I honestly think they'd see a downturn in fortunes after he left. The smart move for United is to probably go for another long-term appointment and suffer through a few bad years.

But I think you are spot on with the Roman things too. It's one thing to kiss and make up, but as soon as you're back in a working relationship and hit a bad spot it's way too easy to dredge up old shit.

He has already achieved his aim of winning league titles in England, Italy and Spain and is desperately wanting to return to England and I believe he will stay here for a long period. The only other job he wants is the Portugal NT position but at his age now, he isn't going to take it yet and prefers to do it when he's older.

SAF coming out and saying JM will be a good replacement for him at Utd...

I can definitely see that happening... Then we're fucked - another 10 years of Utd domination :(

City will get Pep and it will be Pep + Mourinho battling it out with the 2 Manchester clubs...

Such a shame...

I can definitely see that happening... Then we're fucked - another 10 years of Utd domination :(

City will get Pep and it will be Pep + Mourinho battling it out with the 2 Manchester clubs...

Such a shame...

Fergie never said specifically that Mourinho will be a good replacement for him at United. He just said he can manage anywhere in this world. We all obviously know Mourinho can do that but really, the media just twisted Fergie's words to suit their agenda.

Such a shame...

When Fergie retires, United are going to have to spend big and I don't know if the Glazers want to do that to be honest. I also can't see Mourinho staying there for 10 years.

City is the better fit for him in my opinion whilst I really could see United going for someone like Moyes.

The way Roman is acting, I think he only has eyes for one person which is why he's avoided any long-term appointments.

When Fergie retires, United are going to have to spend big and I don't know if the Glazers want to do that to be honest. I also can't see Mourinho staying there for 10 years.

City is the better fit for him in my opinion whilst I really could see United going for someone like Moyes.

The way Roman is acting, I think he only has eyes for one person which is why he's avoided any long-term appointments.

Hmm you say that - but Utd are still top of the league on commercial revenue - the Glazers will have to invest, but they are taking a lot of money out of the club at present...

Utd need maybe 2-3 defenders and a couple of midfielders, circa 120million...

I just cannot see David Moyes there... Why would Utd want to take that gamble, they are a BIG club and will want to be a BIG club...

Think everybody is underestimating the future of Utd... They get written off so many times and bounce back it's unreal...

Hmm you say that - but Utd are still top of the league on commercial revenue - the Glazers will have to invest, but they are taking a lot of money out of the club at present...

Utd need maybe 2-3 defenders and a couple of midfielders, circa 120million...

I just cannot see David Moyes there... Why would Utd want to take that gamble, they are a BIG club and will want to be a BIG club...

Think everybody is underestimating the future of Utd... They get written off so many times and bounce back it's unreal...

Well the constant factor in the last 26 years has been Fergie. It's weird, but sometimes it's easy to forget that he's probably the greatest British manager of all time, and it's not just him who will leave. Scholes and Giggs will go too, as may a couple of the older coaches. Plus there's Rio, Evra, Vidic and Carrick all over 30. It's going to be a massive period of upheaval and let's be honest, that team they've got right now is nowhere near perfect especially compared to the one of previous years.

In fact they've been pretty lucky this season in a couple of big games whilst they're conceding goals to poor teams like Reading, QPR and Southampton.

I don't think Moyes is the gamble - I think Mourinho is. Moyes's appointment would be one that indicates a period of rebuilding over 3-5 years. Mourinho's would be a statement that we're going to win and win now. That puts a lot of pressure on the board to release funds and I don't think the Glazers want to do that.