The Mourinho Thread

2 hours ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

With all due respect.. Absolute nonsense. I can't believe people still believe this crap. Have you not been paying attention these last 2 years or so? Jose goes into crazy-mode to protect Jose from criticism. Nothing more. 

Scolari, Dunga, and a bunch of other managers do the same.

Whether it's a more for the benefit of the team or themselves is really not that important to me, or my argument to be honest.

Bear in mind I am NOT a fan. I wasn't a fan even before Jose joined and was by no means surprised by his shortcomings - like you said, it's been happening for a while.

2 hours ago, Hybrid Angel said:

"There is a Mystique and a romance about Untied which no other club can match."

That right there, is him trying to make another cult at United. A cult that will ignore all his wrongdoings and will look everywhere to put the blame on something else. I'm glad 'The Manipulator One' is gone for good.

We should have a poll for who the next rat is going to be. My money is on De Gea.

but he is actually right. Ever since Munich, and from Edwards through to Charlton, Best, Law onto Cantona, Beckham etc Manchester Utd have had this aura and have attracted a huge worldwide following even through bad times i.e. when they were relegated.  No club in UK can come close. Like it or not they are the 'glamour' club and any manager worth his salt would normally want a chance to manage them.

You having a pop about him saying that statement says more about you than him....i.e. look for any snippet to beat him down with.   #getalife

He has gone now...why cant you just remember all the good things and times as you would for most players that played part in some of our greatest success. For example...Fernando Torres. I wager that when you think of Torres, the image in your mind isnt of the money he cost, the games he went missing in, the sitters he missed etc...no, I bet one the first images is him scoring in Barca or winning that corner in Munich or scoring in Amsterdam .

Mourinho will still continue to be a supporter along with his kids of the club like he was whilst at Inter and Real. Find it amusing that people have got the 'one of us' analogy completely wrong.

Just because he failed to get it right last season, doesnt mean he didnt feel the pain as a supporter would.

The 'one of us' statement was made when he said he wanted to see the club do well, be succesful on and off the field like any supporter would and he said he was one of you...i.e. the same as a supporter wanting the same things.

No doubt you(amongst others) will have your own agendas to suit and castigate this post but frankly, I do not give a flying toss because you are in the minority and most club support are just normal people who whilst disappointed at the way things turned out for Mourinho, plus others that have left the club in the past, would wish him or them no ill will and certainly wouldnt spend time looking for reasons to mug them off and have a pop.

But hey ho...if it pleases you and gives you pleasure, why should the likes of me deny an alleged fellow chelsea supporter their perversed fun ;-)

1 hour ago, Rhino's Skin said:

but he is actually right. Ever since Munich, and from Edwards through to Charlton, Best, Law onto Cantona, Beckham etc Manchester Utd have had this aura and have attracted a huge worldwide following even through bad times i.e. when they were relegated.  No club in UK can come close.

You having a pop about him saying that statement says more about you than him....i.e. look for any snippet to beat him down with.   #getalife

Did I comment on the validity of his statement? No. I simply made an observation about how it is a ploy by him to create a cult at United. It's your choice whether you agree with it or not. Also your criticism of me makes no sense. Just because I once in a while voice my consistent opinion about someone it doesn't mean I'm obsessed with them.

Mourinho will still continue to be a supporter along with his kids of the club like he was whilst at Inter and Real. Find it amusing that people have got the 'one of us' analogy completely wrong.

Just because he failed to get it right last season, doesnt mean he didnt feel the pain as a supporter would.

Sorry, but Mourinho is not 'one of us'. Are you telling me that a Chelsea supporter like me and you would be fine with helping our rivals win against us? Mourinho might still 'like' us because of our time together, but he is in no way or shape what we define as a Chelsea supporter. 

No doubt you(amongst others) will have your own agendas to suit and castigate this post but frankly, I do not give a flying toss because you are in the minority and most club support are just normal people who whilst disappointed at the way things turned out for Mourinho, plus others that have left the club in the past, would wish him or them no ill will and certainly wouldnt spend time looking for reasons to mug them off and have a pop.

But hey ho...if it pleases you and gives you pleasure, why should the likes of me deny an alleged fellow chelsea supporter their perversed fun ;-)

For someone who 'does not give a flying toss' you sure have taken your time reminding all these people that they are in the minority. I constantly see you acting self-righteous and all when it comes to this issue and get the feeling that it is because of the notion of being in the so-called 'majority', but frankly me and some of others around here don't give a flying toss about being in the minority as it has been obvious throughout the season that this is the case. But no, being in the minority doesn't affect anyone's opinion, and so wouldn't reminding them about it.

Well that was just too easy.

He said he was one of us because like us at the time he wanted the same things as us as supporters.

So at that time he was one of us.

No doubt he will still keep a friendly lookout for our results and will most probably want us to do well like his kids but like all professionals who move clubs from one they follow or support.....their current club comes first and rightly so.

I know he's joined United but that's after he was dismissed twice at Chelsea. He is forgiven for doing so imo. 

Not going so far as to say "One of us" anymore but the posts on here saying he did not love the club is wrong. He loved Chelsea but the love affair is over now. . 

I dont really get why posters are so keen to mug him off just because he has gone to Utd.

Understand why they were having a pop at him 5 months and more ago because things were going extremely wrong.......but crikeys.....5 months ago......get over it.

Back to the Utd issue......all tbey are is a rival like the other 18 clubs in tbe PL.

Thry are not fierce bordering on hated rivals like Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool. They are a competitive rival ....no more than that.

Infact, we have always got on well with them as clubs and supporters.

The 2 clubs have always sold players to each other and even managers have gone there.

Mourinho going to Old Trafford should be interesting and hopefully all the talk is about him, that untested Spanish fella coming to do City and that loon Klopp at the Scousers with Wenger being a voyeur on the periphery sticking his oar in every now and then whilst we go quietly about our business.

11 hours ago, Robguima said:

Just not sure your causality here is correct: Jose historically incites trouble only when the team is not performing and keeps more quiet when things are going well. Right or wrong, he's always done that (other managers do the same btw), mostly to remove pressure from his players. Obviously, this strategy only works for a short time and eventually you need to get the results, but the overall form at the beginning of the season was so poor that it was going to take a while no matter what you did.

Other managers do too but how many actually go as far as he does? Even the other master in this 'game' - Alex Ferguson - doesn't go overboard with inciting trouble. You don't hear him criticize the referees every week. You don't hear him having a go at managers every week. You don't hear him throw his players under the bus because they don't do their defensive duties. And to remove pressure from his players? I'm not sure if that's even the case considering he was having a go at his own backroom staff, never mind the fact that he was criticizing a different player every week. Even it does help alleviate the pressure, it still draws too much negative attention to the club and I don't think many appreciate when there is a whole media circus surrounding us. He may bring success to whichever club he goes to but he also brings too much unnecessary baggage. After this tenure at Chelsea, Inter and Real, you hear people talk about the controversies and troubles he created as much as his success, if not more, and that's not exactly a good thing.

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

Other managers do too but how many actually go as far as he does? Even the other master in this 'game' - Alex Ferguson - doesn't go overboard with inciting trouble. You don't hear him criticize the referees every week. You don't hear him having a go at managers every week. You don't hear him throw his players under the bus because they don't do their defensive duties. And to remove pressure from his players? I'm not sure if that's even the case considering he was having a go at his own backroom staff, never mind the fact that he was criticizing a different player every week. Even it does help alleviate the pressure, it still draws too much negative attention to the club and I don't think many appreciate when there is a whole media circus surrounding us. He may bring success to whichever club he goes to but he also brings too much unnecessary baggage. After this tenure at Chelsea, Inter and Real, you hear people talk about the controversies and troubles he created as much as his success, if not more, and that's not exactly a good thing.

Jose works best when his team is the underdog because he like to create " us against the world mentality"

- We were second tier team in his first stint here 

- Madrid kept losing against Barcelona

- We were a new team.

IMO that mentality is good when you are not winning but after a while you get tired of it.

1 minute ago, communicate said:

Jose works best when his team is the underdog because he like to create " us against the world mentality"

- We were second tier team in his first stint here 

- Madrid kept losing against Barcelona

- We were a new team.

IMO that mentality is good when you are not winning but after a while you get tired of it.

But that's the issue, isn't it? He seems to only really excel when that team is an underdog, a team that no one takes seriously etc. But once he starts to win with them and that team becomes the best, he doesn't know what to do anymore. He doesn't change his approach to managing and still continues to use the same 'tricks', even when they don't work anymore.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

But that's the issue, isn't it? He seems to only really excel when that team is an underdog, a team that no one takes seriously etc. But once he starts to win with them and that team becomes the best, he doesn't know what to do anymore. He doesn't change his approach to managing and still continues to use the same 'tricks', even when they don't work anymore.

I guess you are who you are and he has been a very successful manager. 

1 hour ago, communicate said:

I guess you are who you are and he has been a very successful manager. 

Maybe that is what he will do. Just do 3 years with United and then move on. 

He probably figured it out that it's not worth it to stay longer then the alloted time frame. Which is good in itself, look at pellegrini,  did 3 years and that seemed like a long time. 

And if he does decide to go for more time, then it will be interesting to see how he adjust. Since as you guys mentioned he can't change his style and that style is only good for short term stints. 

22 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Apart from the fans.

The real loyalty of the owners players and coaches is to their bank balance and succumbing to greed.

I think JT just proved otherwise last week as he has several time during his career here.

But yes, that is the general trend unfortunately. 

I may get some hate for this but still... I think he will be massive success at United and will stay over 3 years there.

Why? He has a lot to prove, this is when he thrives. He has to win over the fans (he didn't have to at Chelsea) & members of United board that were against signing him. He will watch his every move so he doesn't offend United players/fans/board/Fergie. He will have the backing of the United players after a lot of them were unhappy with Van Gaal's boring football that doesn't win matches (yes, Mourinho is boring too, but he wins you games, at least). He has to prove to all the doubters/media/pundits that he is still the top manager. One of the greatest managers in the greatest English club - media will suck United's dick and so Mourinho's too (look how they are already manipulating everything in Mourinho's favour - he doesn't play defensive football, he's good with youth, he's respectful to the FA/refs - it's the Chelsea that are bad etc.) He will watch his words, become friends with media and a true gentleman - I can guarantee you he won't be this grumpy bastard he was here. He would rather die than let Guardiola be the better one in Manchester and that's what United's board want too. He will have unlimited transfer budget to build great team (United already has really good team). It was his dream to coach United since Fergie retired - they're good mates too.

I think he will be a big success there, winning a lot of titles with United, I would even bet he will win the league next year. I hope not, but I think he will be great for them.

I don't think he'll win the League immediately. I expect a very open race between the the usual three with new managers. Leicester will drop off eventually and Liverpool-Tottenham will be in the mix. Jose will eventually get his hands on the title, his ability to retain and repeat success over a longer period is a purely subjective matter for all of us. I don't really think anyone can predict whether he has learnt from his mistakes or not, cause the trend got pretty alarming this year, enough for him to notice.  If he has, then sky's the limit for him.

However putting to much thought into him and his side than they deserve. With a confident side under Conte, we should be aiming for the title next year.