The Mourinho Thread

On 09/04/2016 at 11:30 AM, MichaelDance said:

I suppose he means the Board mate :) he knows us fans have always had his back and love him,

If you read the reports from the media at the time it is clear the board were prepared to spend a lot of money to support him. Unfortunately, transfers in real life are harder than in football manager. It's kinda sad that Jose fan boys like you have to lie to support Jose's failure. 

If my memory serves me correctly, the media claimed we went after

Stones

Pogba

Koke

Griezman

Martial

Manolas

When Jose came to this club we had a poor central midfield, he spent a lot of money, and left us with a poor central midfield. 

3 hours ago, Fernando said:

Sold our best young player and left us in a crap state.

Real genius this one.....

The way I see it is that he had to take a gamble on Oscar and Willian at the cost of Mata and KDB. Had Oscar improved over the years, while KDB had a similar outcome as Mata or Schurrle, then Jose would have looked like a genius.

Had he taken a gamble by choosing KDB and Willian, we'd be a better team now and he would have looked like a genius as well.

I'm not defending him, but it's almost impossible to keep 6 attacking midfielders happy in a single season.

21 hours ago, Azpinator said:

The way I see it is that he had to take a gamble on Oscar and Willian at the cost of Mata and KDB. Had Oscar improved over the years, while KDB had a similar outcome as Mata or Schurrle, then Jose would have looked like a genius.

Had he taken a gamble by choosing KDB and Willian, we'd be a better team now and he would have looked like a genius as well.

I'm not defending him, but it's almost impossible to keep 6 attacking midfielders happy in a single season.

I think people are angry that he chose the least talented with the least potential which was obvious to everyone, as his no.1 attacking midfielder.

7 minutes ago, chelseafan26 said:

I think people are angry that he chose the least talented with the least potential which was obvious to everyone, as his no.1 attacking midfielder.

It was obvious to some, not everyone. I clearly remember how some people were satisfied with Oscar scoring every game or two. And that statistics don't mean anything because he "fits the system" which was a reason that annoyed the shit out of me at the time.

5 hours ago, Azpinator said:

It was obvious to some, not everyone. I clearly remember how some people were satisfied with Oscar scoring every game or two. And that statistics don't mean anything because he "fits the system" which was a reason that annoyed the shit out of me at the time.

I'm not saying this is the case in Oscar vs De Bruyne as Jose clearly made the wrong decision, but it's a bit unfair how you inverted commas the fit the system bit.

Real Madrid are probably the only club with world class players on every position and look were that gets them, honestly when things don't go their way they look truly horrendous.

Fergie mastered the art of system player's, Ji Sung Park and Darren Fletcher were not big stat whores or world class players by any stretch, but both played a vital role in bringing titles home, in fact Fergie use to put the latter on the opposition's most dangerous midfielder in big games (Gerrard vs Liverpool, Lampard vs us, Cesc vs Arsenal) and it worked.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

I'm not saying this is the case in Oscar vs De Bruyne as Jose clearly made the wrong decision, but it's a bit unfair how you inverted commas the fit the system bit.

Real Madrid are probably the only club with world class players on every position and look were that gets them, honestly when things don't go their way they look truly horrendous.

Fergie mastered the art of system player's, Ji Sung Park and Darren Fletcher were not big stat whores or world class players by any stretch, but both played a vital role in bringing titles home, in fact Fergie use to put the latter on the opposition's most dangerous midfielder in big games (Gerrard vs Liverpool, Lampard vs us, Cesc vs Arsenal) and it worked.

SAF is the greatest of all time for a reason.

Yes, he used park-ji-sung, fletcher, o'shea, wes brown, and a lot of other bit-part players perfectly. But he used them occassionaly and for a big-game. He did not have park-ji-sung playing ahead of tevez/CR/Rooney to "provide balance" and "fit the system". SAF was popular for having huge squads and managing them efficiently to get the best out of every player. Jose on the other hand used 15-16 players all season long and if it were not for injuries and suspensions, he would have continued to play costa;hazard,oscar,willian;cesc,matic;azpi,JT, GC,Iva;courtois, which a slight variation of ramires in between. Jose's man-management in 13-14 was horrendous (he could/should have loaned out Kdb instead of moses at the start of the season itself, rather than forcing Kdb to make a move away from the club). And should not be compared to the likes of SAF.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, SAF changed his system according to the players and the team they were facing. Jose changed his players to suit the the system which clearly did not get the best out of the team.

On 14/04/2016 at 7:07 AM, chelseafan26 said:

SAF is the greatest of all time for a reason.

Yes, he used park-ji-sung, fletcher, o'shea, wes brown, and a lot of other bit-part players perfectly. But he used them occassionaly and for a big-game. He did not have park-ji-sung playing ahead of tevez/CR/Rooney to "provide balance" and "fit the system". SAF was popular for having huge squads and managing them efficiently to get the best out of every player. Jose on the other hand used 15-16 players all season long and if it were not for injuries and suspensions, he would have continued to play costa;hazard,oscar,willian;cesc,matic;azpi,JT, GC,Iva;courtois, which a slight variation of ramires in between. Jose's man-management in 13-14 was horrendous (he could/should have loaned out Kdb instead of moses at the start of the season itself, rather than forcing Kdb to make a move away from the club). And should not be compared to the likes of SAF.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, SAF changed his system according to the players and the team they were facing. Jose changed his players to suit the the system which clearly did not get the best out of the team.

Fletcher was actually a starter for three or so years before his unfortunate illness, and that's because Fergie appreciated what he brought the table, a purist would have chosen a more flashy player but not Fergie. He also regularly choose Valencia over a much more talented Nani team balance sake.

Also, he would never do anything that put the team in any sort of handicap, when he gave Ronaldo the free role, do you know how he compensated for the sake of the team balance? Two defensive midfielders, even at home to shit teams, because if he he didn't, there would be too much space for opposition to exploit on the break.

Rooney summed it up after Ronaldo left, he was asked if it was easier now Ronaldo left and he said not for him, but maybe the defense and midfield.

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

Fletcher was actually a starter for three or so years before his unfortunate illness, and that's because Fergie appreciated what he brought the table, a purist would have chosen a more flashy player but not Fergie. He also regularly choose Valencia over a much more talented Nani team balance sake.

Also, he would never do anything that put the team in any sort of handicap, when he gave Ronaldo the free role, do you know how he compensated for the sake of the team balance? Two defensive midfielders, even at home to shit teams, because if he he didn't, there would be too much space for opposition to exploit on the break.

Rooney summed it up after Ronaldo left, he was asked if it was easier now Ronaldo left and he said not for him, but maybe the defense and midfield.

A team needs balance, of course it does, thats why you have a 25 people squad for different games and different teams and different scenarios. But that does not mean that you have to simply throw away your best talents.

SAF played CR, Ronaldo, Tevez, infact he played a 18/19 year old CR because he was his best attacking player.

In 13/14 we had a pivot of Matic-ramires, we had willian to do the bullwork. and yet we went ahead with oscar instead of either mata/kdb despite the fact that both of them were heads and shoulders above him in creativity. SAF did not simply play CR against shrewsbury, he gave him an oppurtunity and formed the team around the likes of CR, rooney and tevez. Thats the difference between SAF and jose.

And to be fair to jose, it was not like he did not know what the problem was. He knew Exactly what the problem was. We lacked a creative outlet in the team. Thats the reason he bought cesc into the team. But the problem was that cesc simply is not consistent enough and in my opinion, good enough for team "balance".

You cant have the likes of oscar in the team for the sake of balance while putting in the likes of cesc in a 2 man pivot. Sorry, but thats folly and that is exactly what has cost us so massively this season.

IF Saf had inherited the squad that Jose had inherited in 13/14, you could bet almost anything on the fact that we would have been one of the best teams in the world, not just one of the best teams, but one of the best attacking teams in the world. Jose on the other hand sold/destroyed our attacking talents one by one and now even our starting 11 has deadwoods like oscar, pedro while we have absolutely no bench whatsoever.

As for nani, he got plenty of oppurtunity. But unlike jose SAF was not prepared to keep him in the squad simply for his talent, instead he threw him out for his consistency (or lack of it). If i remember well, Valencia was one of the players of the season in 10/11 or 11/12 when he was given the no.7 jersey. So I dont think it was simply for "balance". If anything, then valencia and rafael were the most lethal attacking Combo in PL on the right wing.

On 11 April 2016 at 4:34 AM, kiwi1691 said:

If you read the reports from the media at the time it is clear the board were prepared to spend a lot of money to support him. Unfortunately, transfers in real life are harder than in football manager. It's kinda sad that Jose fan boys like you have to lie to support Jose's failure. 

If my memory serves me correctly, the media claimed we went after

Stones

Pogba

Koke

Griezman

Martial

Manolas

When Jose came to this club we had a poor central midfield, he spent a lot of money, and left us with a poor central midfield. 

LOL you really believe that don't you... Stones... Everton wouldn't budge, Pogba... Juventus wouldn't budge for 70M unless they had a replacement, The club who owned Martial told us they wouldn't sell him but they did anyway to Man United for a ridiculous amount of money. If it wasn't for MOURINHO we wouldn't have even got Pedro... It's so sad you have to lie for the board... see works both ways.

18 hours ago, Tomo said:

I am sorry for what I am going to write here, but i Vaguely remember having a discussion about cesc with you, if i remember correctly.

Mate, did you see the 2nd goal? Did you see Kdb absolutely glide past Cesc like he was not even present. Our midfield Again gets overrun. This is not a midfielder. Cesc is the biggest Farce I have seen in football. You asked me why I thought Cesc was one of the main reasons for Arsenal being this shit defensively, here is the live proof. Utterly disgusting performance. And this was even the first time in the game when this happened. People will comeback saying he ran the most, no he did not. He jogged the most. A jog in the park. That does not get the job done defensively.

I would still have cesc here next season only because Jose has screwed us off any good creative play makers. If we had one good creative option, then I would have wanted cesc first out of the door. This summer for me is all about rebuilding the defence and the center Midfield. IF we do get someone like Pjanic, Cesc should be sold.

13 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

I am sorry for what I am going to write here, but i Vaguely remember having a discussion about cesc with you, if i remember correctly.

Mate, did you see the 2nd goal? Did you see Kdb absolutely glide past Cesc like he was not even present. Our midfield Again gets overrun. This is not a midfielder. Cesc is the biggest Farce I have seen in football. You asked me why I thought Cesc was one of the main reasons for Arsenal being this shit defensively, here is the live proof. Utterly disgusting performance. And this was even the first time in the game when this happened. People will comeback saying he ran the most, no he did not. He jogged the most. A jog in the park. That does not get the job done defensively.

I would still have cesc here next season only because Jose has screwed us off any good creative play makers. If we had one good creative option, then I would have wanted cesc first out of the door. This summer for me is all about rebuilding the defence and the center Midfield. IF we do get someone like Pjanic, Cesc should be sold.

He was dreadful yesterday, no sugar coating that,  although I don't no what else to expect playing him in a double pivot vs City, and we signed him knowing his defensive limitations.

Howeveryou cannot ignore the creative side he brings to the table, he is an animal with even a cm of space, and hopefully, Conte can find ways to utilise that and hide his weaknesses.

22 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

Welcome back Sir.
Hail to the king, baby! :wub:

Will be fun next season, against Jose and Pep, Conte better be up for it. :)

Missed this man from the football scene so much! It just isn't the same without.