Pedro Rodríguez

Pacquiao

On 11/5/2016 at 5:46 PM, MrExcalibur100 said:

The thing is some members of this wonderful forum need to give players time. There's something called assessing players based on potential and pedigree. There's also something called an eye test. Even when he wasn't playing well, the quality was there. Pedro has won the World cup and Champions leagues. And he's done that being a critical figure in some of those sides. He's 29 as well. How he all of a sudden became a shite, no-hoper in some of forum members' eyes was just way off. Same with Matic. Guy was arguably (certainly one of) the best CDM in Europe in our title winning season before he got overplayed and fatigued and so many people wanted to toss him into the garbage can. Wanted him sold. I can understand feeling that way about a constant disappointment like Oscar but we need to judge players sensibly sometimes. 

Conversly Matic's form during teh winning season may have been the outlier.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

If we want to succeed big time, then we gotta pay big money to get the big players. Haven't we been complaining about the board being too stingy and ended up buying average players who don't add anything to the squad? And until Mahrez can prove last season's achievement was no fluke and he's not a one-season wonder, I'd suggest we stay away from him.

Man, we're talking about  Atletico here, a top team. He is their best player, if he has the rumoured 100M buyout clause, we won't pay it, if he doesn't have one, Atletico won't sell regardless of the money offered. Dybala plays for Juventus, another team that doesn't sell players for regular prices.

James is a world class player arguably available, much better than the likes of Ozil and Sanchez, we can't not try. Mahrez is a really good alternative, yes, he didn't prove he can maintain his level on a bigger club, but if another team offers him a chance and he succeed, we won't have him. And neither of the both will be cheap at all, but they're possible, unlike Griezmann.

13 hours ago, Tomo said:

My only worry if we got Bale in hypothetical land is that he hugely relies on athletic qualities, technically he isn't that great and coming up 28 next year and with a dodgy injury record....

Maybe I let personal preference get in the way, but I do think the Real front three as a whole lack the pure technical element, already aluded to it with Bale and Ronaldo is similarly athlete more than technical player, of course it doesn't matter too much when they score at that rate they do, but I have felt the lack of creativity from the pair sometimes becomes an issue vs deep defenses or a team who cut out the supply line, compare to MSN who can do it on their own if need be.

I'd say Bale hugely relied on his physicality a few years back. But he's developed into a player who is clever in his movement, has a good eye for his team mates, has that nose for a goal and has become a leader (the way he led Wales at the Euros was very impressive). Not to mention his huge aerial threat nowadays. He deserves more respect for that. Even when he starts to age, I think he'll continue to be a big threat. Not an all-round attacking force but like current day Ronaldo. I think he has four to five years left in him. Only downside to him would be his injuries.

I understand your point but their firepower, whether that's from open play or set-pieces, is undeniable. Don't think any team could currently form a better trio than Barca's or Real's. Hazard and Costa still have a lot prove on the big stage.

1 minute ago, DYC. said:

I'd say Bale hugely relied on his physicality a few years back. But he's developed into a player who is clever in his movement, has a good eye for his team mates, has that nose for a goal and has become a leader (the way he led Wales at the Euros was very impressive). Not to mention his huge aerial threat nowadays. He deserves more respect for that. Even when he starts to age, I think he'll continue to be a big threat. Not an all-round attacking force but like current day Ronaldo. I think he has four to five years left in him. Only downside to him would be his injuries.

I understand your point but their firepower, whether that's from open play or set-pieces, is undeniable. Don't think any team could currently form a better trio than Barca's or Real's. Hazard and Costa still have a lot prove on the big stage.

Costa and Hazard need a world class player to complement the trio begin with. I don't think Real's trio is that good, Bale is their best right now.

4 minutes ago, the wes said:

Pedro has played good the last few games but I would still trade him in for Mahrez tho 

That will destroy the balance in the team. To have a balance team you can only have one player who does not really defend (hazard),

1 hour ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

Man, we're talking about  Atletico here, a top team. He is their best player, if he has the rumoured 100M buyout clause, we won't pay it, if he doesn't have one, Atletico won't sell regardless of the money offered. Dybala plays for Juventus, another team that doesn't sell players for regular prices.

James is a world class player arguably available, much better than the likes of Ozil and Sanchez, we can't not try. Mahrez is a really good alternative, yes, he didn't prove he can maintain his level on a bigger club, but if another team offers him a chance and he succeed, we won't have him. And neither of the both will be cheap at all, but they're possible, unlike Griezmann.

Even if James is more attainable than Griezmann, it doesn't mean we have to go for him. As good as a player he is, I don't think he's what we need to play in the front 3. As for Griezmann, yes, Atletico are a top side but we all know they aren't capable to win trophies season in season out like some of the other big sides and sooner or later, Griezmann is likely to leave them. Things could also easily change when Simeone leaves Atletico. He recently reduced the duration of his new contract by 2 years and has been linked with several clubs around Europe. And the main reason Griezmann is staying at Atletico is because of Simeone. If Simeone leaves, then anything could easily happen with Atletico's players.

1 hour ago, Gilvorak said:

It's kinda sad that Pedro just had his best game for us & the main discussion on here is replacing him. Mane would've been the ideal candidate.

I agree that is it a bit cold, but Pedro has not exactly been amazing since joining us. I am sure that the talk of replacing him will cool down if he can replicate his form from the last few games for the next month or two. 

Still, I think it is hardly unfair to say that Pedro is more limited than Hazard. This season getting into the top4 is the goal, but how long is that enough? Costa and Hazard are world class, but can the same be said for Pedro? I see him as an excellent squad player, kind of filling the same role as Kalou, but to be our first option for RW in the years to come? I think it is a position we should look into reinforcing, maybe not in January, but next summer for sure. 

3 hours ago, communicate said:

That will destroy the balance in the team. To have a balance team you can only have one player who does not really defend (hazard),

This is BS, everyone in the team defends, Hazard included. Pedro is playing not because he defends really well, but because he is a more direct threat than Willian or Oscar, which suits that right forward position well. Mahrez would fit perfectly.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Even if James is more attainable than Griezmann, it doesn't mean we have to go for him. As good as a player he is, I don't think he's what we need to play in the front 3. As for Griezmann, yes, Atletico are a top side but we all know they aren't capable to win trophies season in season out like some of the other big sides and sooner or later, Griezmann is likely to leave them. Things could also easily change when Simeone leaves Atletico. He recently reduced the duration of his new contract by 2 years and has been linked with several clubs around Europe. And the main reason Griezmann is staying at Atletico is because of Simeone. If Simeone leaves, then anything could easily happen with Atletico's players.

Man, i want Griezmann as much as you do, he is perfect for Pedro's position, but it's not like he is more attainable than James, he is not attainable at all right now, period. You created a hypothetical situation that he would be, well, if that happens we can talk about signing him, but i don't think it will happen and there are teams willing to splash more cash than Chelsea. 

About James, i think he would fit like a glove, he is not as fast and agile as Griezmann but he is more technical and creative, both are overall in a similar level on their best. Hazard is already a lightning fast and they would complement themselves very well. James would be better to create situations for Costa too.

1 hour ago, Gilvorak said:

It's kinda sad that Pedro just had his best game for us & the main discussion on here is replacing him. Mane would've been the ideal candidate.

I never rated him since Barcelona, he just had his best game at Chelsea but probably the only one too.

Any chance Isco leaves Real anytime soon?

Same as James probably, but he is more like a CM/AM and James a AM/RF. The 3-4-3 doesn't suit Isco very well.

2 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

Because he's a limited player.

I said the same thing about Willian and people was like selling him in the summer was dumb and all this stuff....really? When a player peeks and you can upgrade you do it. 

I remember when Malouda had that amazing season with Carlo title run, that was his peek and it was time to sell. But no we kept him and end up leaving on a free.....

Players like Malouda, Willian, Pedro are limited and when they hit their peek you should look to upgrade. 

12 hours ago, Jason said:

If we want to succeed big time, then we gotta pay big money to get the big players. Haven't we been complaining about the board being too stingy and ended up buying average players who don't add anything to the squad? And until Mahrez can prove last season's achievement was no fluke and he's not a one-season wonder, I'd suggest we stay away from him.

He's turning 30 next year. Would suggest we look elsewhere.

True but I think Payet is a late bloomer ala Drogba. If he can have 3 good seasons that's totally worth it. 

And hey if we can't get Griezman till two years from  now, then Payet would be a good stop gap till then. 

12 minutes ago, Fernando said:

True but I think Payet is a late bloomer ala Drogba. If he can have 3 good seasons that's totally worth it. 

And hey if we can't get Griezman till two years from  now, then Payet would be a good stop gap till then. 

I do agree with you on the three seasons thing. People are too obsessed with so called long term signings. 'Sign player X (age 23) and he'll be here for the next ten years!' How often does that actually happen? Not often. Anything can happen. Look at Mata, De Bruyne, Sturridge, David Luiz (back but sold initially of course) and others.

A player who can come here and perform for two, three years (and still be valuable after as a veteran) would be extremely valuable. Especially as Chelsea try to get back to the top.

Payet plays in Hazard's position though.

4 minutes ago, DYC. said:

I do agree with you on the three seasons thing. People are too obsessed with so called long term signings. 'Sign player X (age 23) and he'll be here for the next ten years!' How often does that actually happen? Not often. Anything can happen. Look at Mata, De Bruyne, Sturridge, David Luiz (back but sold initially of course) and others.

A player who can come here and perform for two, three years (and still be valuable after as a veteran) would be extremely valuable. Especially as Chelsea try to get back to the top.

Payet plays in Hazard's position though.

Yeah you need a good blend. 

I definitely agree on spending big on younger players, but its not good to have a team stack of younger players. 

You need to have your more established/older player here and there. A good balanced is needed. 

And Yes Payet plays in Hazard position, but Hazard is more flexible me thinks. 

Payet to me is the upgrade to Oscar, not really Pedro. Pedro an upgrade would be A. Sanchez but that's impossible. So I would happily take someone like Di Maria. 

I can't see Roman spending for Griezmann, Dybala type of highly desired and expensive players tbh. I would not be surprised to see more transfer like Alonso. That's why I think we might go for Belotti, who I think would not have much trouble adapting to our system or Premier League.

4 hours ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

Man, i want Griezmann as much as you do, he is perfect for Pedro's position, but it's not like he is more attainable than James, he is not attainable at all right now, period. You created a hypothetical situation that he would be, well, if that happens we can talk about signing him, but i don't think it will happen and there are teams willing to splash more cash than Chelsea. 

If you think we won't splash the cash on Griezmann, then makes you think we will for James? It's not the like latter will come in cheap either and if I'm speaking hypothetically, then what about you? Sure, James isn't exactly happy at Real right now but there's no guarantee they will sell him given they have the transfer ban hanging over them.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

If you think we won't splash the cash on Griezmann, then makes you think we will for James? It's not the like latter will come in cheap either and if I'm speaking hypothetically, then what about you? Sure, James isn't exactly happy at Real right now but there's no guarantee they will sell him given they have the transfer ban hanging over them.

Let's suppose Griezmann has the 100M buyout clause, i don't think the board will agree to pay this kind of money, the likes of United, City and PSG will offer obscene wages too. If he doesn't have, Atletico will demand even more. James could leave for something like 60M based on Di Maria and Ozil deals, which i can see us paying if we really want the player.