Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Next Manager?


MrBlueGuy
 Share
Followers 12

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Yeah my bad I miscounted but at the same time I forgot Pulisic, who is another player more suited to a high energy proactive game (nicking the ball high up is his best attribute from what I've seen).

The only player who is bought for Sarri is Jorginho. Kova and Higuain are both on loans. Kepa signing is because we need a new gk. I have never watch Puli play for 90 min so I don't know how he play. But since he play for dortmund I assume he is comfortable at pressing which is good for us

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends on what are you looking.Do you want a top manager with charisma and enormous technical capabilities then the choice is Antonio Conte if you want a avarage/good manager but very lucky then t

hi from a Napoli supporter   i'm very sad for the loosing of Sarri, he is a real football Maestro, I saw the best Napoli in 90 years of history of the club, better than Maradona's Napoli, with a decen

I read the news here in Italy where it seems that Conte will become the next coach of Chelsea .... by Juventus fan ... and one that literally he loved juventus.of Conte ... if Antonio arrives at chels

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Kepa and Jorginho cost £129m (72m and 57m)

they both don't deserve that valuation. but that's a board problem (to be enable to negotiate at right prices) and not only from this season 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, communicate said:

Not really. This team is not designed to play possession football. It was built by Conte and Mou to play low block football. No manager can transform this team into a possession based team without significant investment in time or players. I was afraid about this since the beginning. 

 

Can only agree......then we can only say Sarii is even a bigger fool for trying to implent something that just aint got no base to begin with, another reason he has to go imo. It has been evident for over 6months his style with these players cant cut it. Even with backing, I havent seen much to point in a fighting direction,.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tomo said:

Even if we sack Sarri it's absolutely vital we carry on with the possession based high pressing style. Not only is it more in tune with the modern day way, we committed nearly £140m on two players suited to that style already.

Any particular manager in mind?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henrique said:

Ajax manager.

Yeah, let's appoint him, but he must rebuild the whole team and win major titles in a year because if not he is a flop, a fallen man.. Why are Chelsea supporters so impatient?

Ajax have been working on this current project for long years. They reached the EL-final with Peter Bosz. He left for BVB but the club kept working with the same squad, worked hard to convince their players not to leave them and made big efforts to sign new ones like Tadic. (Tadic was only willing to sign for Ajax if he got the biggest salary in the Netherlands and if he could wear the number 10, which was already taken by Ziyech, so it was a very complicated deal) Now they are reaching the very peak of this project. Next year half of the team will be gone, Ajax will be not as strong as now and Chelsea supporters will forget about Ten Hag and want the new hyped manager.

Klopp would have been sacked like 3 times if he managed Chelsea. Guardiola finished 4th in his first season. With Sarri, we can still finish 3rd and reach EL-final but everyone is crying a river and want to sack him and appoint Ajax's coach because CURRENTLY they are succesful.

If you are a Chelsea manager, there are two ways:

- succeed in your first season and if the second is less succesful you are gone(Conte, Di Matteo, Mourinho, Ancelotti, etc)

- not succeed in your first season and being sacked after a few months(AVB, Felipeao, Sarri?)

 

I really hope the board will be more patient this time and let Sarri work. I don't say his team is amazing nor that he didn't make mistakes this year, but we can still finish 3rd.. What else should've he done? Take over Liverpool and Manchester City who have better squads and long term managers?

IDC, sack Sarri, appoint this Dutch guy, pretty sure he will win us Premier League and Champions League with Emerson, Barkley, Willian and Giroud in the starting eleven.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Any particular manager in mind?

Lampard for me. Firstly I think the available manager pool at present is possibly the weakest its been throughout Abramovich's tenure. Secondly, not that he's necessarily the best or proven, but because I believe he'd be the right fit to rebuild this squad.

Firstly with the looming ban, and the overall crazy prices in the transfer market we need to start leaning on and trusting our academy far more. It doesn't need to be unearthing a Messi (or a John Terry) but we need to be able to use our annual budget on competing for elite players across the world. If that means concentrating all our efforts on no more than 2 or 3 players a season so be it. This can be achieved if a decent proportion of the squad depth and homegrown quotas are fulfilled by the academy. If any of these players are capable of stepping up to first choice then its an added bonus. 

I believe Lampard and Jody Morris back at the club would be the best option for the above. Jody Morris knows the players from the academy and their personalities and qualities to know which ones are good enough, and I believe Lampard has shown this season at Derby a willingness to put a lot of trust and faith in young players. Add to this somebody young enough to still relate well to these lads but also a phenomenal playing career for them to look up to.

A lot has been made of the lack of leaders and how weak the dressing room has become, and having one of the old guard back will strengthen that even if only as a manager now. Having that experience back to rebuild that strength of resolve and character within the dressing room is another key.

The final thing for me is the exact reason why Sarri I think will end up failing and others like this Ajax manager would be set up to fail and that's patience. We need a rebuild, and that won't be an overnight thing. It will take time and patience, not just at board level but amongst the fans too. The supporters have become accustomed to the board's level and patience and expectancy of success which I think makes it extremely difficult to see somebody be given time and patience to rebuild. I do think Lampard is one of the very few who would be afforded this luxury, particularly by the fans due to his status at the club. I also believe he's in a position whereby his legendary status at the club is set in stone and I don't believe could be tarnished should he struggle as a manager here.

For Lampard it's not about boosting his CV in a short term stint like most managers looking at this job. This is his club and he would want it to be successful for the long term, with or without him in my opinion. That is why I think he would be more prepared to rebuild the squad properly, blood younger players more often and make those 'big decisions' because he would want the sound footings in place for this club as opposed to just a quick fix under pressure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, communicate said:

The only player who is bought for Sarri is Jorginho. Kova and Higuain are both on loans. Kepa signing is because we need a new gk. I have never watch Puli play for 90 min so I don't know how he play. But since he play for dortmund I assume he is comfortable at pressing which is good for us

Word is Kepa was wanted by Sarri at Napoli and he suits his football. If we just brought in a keeper because we needed one i imagine Butland would have come in at a cheaper price.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Any particular manager in mind?

Ten Hag like Henrique said would be ideal, but I can see him having most of Europe after him especially if he wins the CL.

Failing that it has to be someone that has the football principles of attacking, high press and play out of the back (I don't follow general football as much as I use too so can't give a wide variety of names I'd have been able to if asked a similar question in 2012). We are unlikely to be catching City and Liverpool in the next year or two so the priority has to be building a pathway to do so eventually, so with that in mind an appointment similar to City's with Pellegrini (I know he won the league but the whole purpose of his appointment was to lay the foundations for Pep/bigger things) won't be the worst thing in the world.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Word is Kepa was wanted by Sarri at Napoli and he suits his football. If we just brought in a keeper because we needed one i imagine Butland would have come in at a cheaper price.

Ten Hag like Henrique said would be ideal, but I can see him having most of Europe after him especially if he wins the CL.

Failing that it has to be someone that has the football principles of attacking, high press and play out of the back (I don't follow general football as much as I use too so can't give a wide variety of names I'd have been able to if asked a similar question in 2012). We are unlikely to be catching City and Liverpool in the next year or two so the priority has to be building a pathway to do so eventually, so with that in mind an appointment similar to City's with Pellegrini (I know he won the league but the whole purpose of his appointment was to lay the foundations for Pep/bigger things) won't be the worst thing in the world.

I am not sure that is the case but I can be wrong. Since all the top team this days have good gk with their feet. I think whoever thr manager was we would always go for Kepa or Allison. 

I agree with what you said. We need a foundation to play pressing attacking football. But the season we do that will be a mess unless we splurge on players otherwise it is going to be a slow and painful process. 

The problem with Chelsea. We are so used to be successful and it was kinda based on Mou way. The moment we change and the result is not what we expect, everyone will turn on the manager. If Ten Haag came and  forced our team to play possession, high pressing football. We will lose tons of game and people will say he does not what he is doing. If he keep playing with 5 at the back, we will do better but we can't build the team foundation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, communicate said:

I am not sure that is the case but I can be wrong. Since all the top team this days have good gk with their feet. I think whoever thr manager was we would always go for Kepa or Allison. 

I agree with what you said. We need a foundation to play pressing attacking football. But the season we do that will be a mess unless we splurge on players otherwise it is going to be a slow and painful process. 

The problem with Chelsea. We are so used to be successful and it was kinda based on Mou way. The moment we change and the result is not what we expect, everyone will turn on the manager. If Ten Haag came and  forced our team to play possession, high pressing football. We will lose tons of game and people will say he does not what he is doing. If he keep playing with 5 at the back, we will do better but we can't build the team foundation. 

Would we? I think part of the reason we have tried to move to this style of football is because how badly we did the previous season and two years before that playing to our supposed strengths.

The problem with pragmatic machine like football it's is very much fine while competing for the major trophies and getting the results but when we're not it's absolutely soul destroying to watch (last season, 15/16 and 10/11 prime examples). 

If we can successfully build this style of football then we can always have enjoyable games to fall back on even when we aren't challenging for the big one's. Even this season with the project probably not even 20% implemented i prefer these games (bar about a month in the winter) to 95% of what was served up in those season's mentioned above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The final thing for me is the exact reason why Sarri I think will end up failing and others like this Ajax manager would be set up to fail and that's patience. We need a rebuild, and that won't be an overnight thing. It will take time and patience, not just at board level but amongst the fans too. The supporters have become accustomed to the board's level and patience and expectancy of success which I think makes it extremely difficult to see somebody be given time and patience to rebuild. I do think Lampard is one of the very few who would be afforded this luxury, particularly by the fans due to his status at the club. I also believe he's in a position whereby his legendary status at the club is set in stone and I don't believe could be tarnished should he struggle as a manager here.

It's too simplistic to say the lack of patience is what will cause Sarri's (or other similar managers') downfall at the club. I believe we would be patient with him if we actually see some progression/improvement, if he hadn't been so stubborn and wedded in his own methods and decisions, if he hadn't been repeating the same bad decisions that we criticized Mourinho/Conte in the past for, if he hadn't made us so predictable to play against. Have we signs of improvement? Nope. Hardly much, apart from some fellas making a big deal of "oh look, he's making us play better out from the back". It's hard to see where we will go under Sarri, especially if that transfer ban sticks and he has to rely on young players and we all know he isn't exactly open to managing them or the best at doing so. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Henrique said:

Ajax manager.

 

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

Ten Hag like Henrique said would be ideal, but I can see him having most of Europe after him especially if he wins the CL.

Might be a hypocrite here since I suggested Nuno but sure, let's hire the huge current flavor of the month in Ten Hag because that has always gone well for us, right? Hell, we hired our current manager because he was the flavor of the month last summer and look what has he done with us...

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

Might be a hypocrite here since I suggested Nuno but sure, let's hire the huge current flavor of the month in Ten Hag because that has always gone well for us, right? Hell, we hired our current manager because he was the flavor of the month last summer and look what has he done with us...

But on the flip side it worked out well appointing Mourinho and to an extent Hiddink the first time (his stock was high after his great work at Euro 2008).

It's up to the club to identify which managers are riding the crest of a wave and which aren't, and if the remit (which it should be given the circumstances we find ourselves in) is to build a future around the best youth we have while playing good football then he fits the bill.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Henrique said:

Ajax manager.

ten hag is training a group of guys that have played together in the same way from years (except for tagliafico, tadic). and he can't do the same thing at chelsea  just like sarri 

unless he steps back to the counter-attack play, that is what chelsea is able to do (and it's not a shame to play like that)  

edit:   furthermore nobody consider that chelsea has changed the module and 4 key players this year: kepa-luiz-jorgi-higuain

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason said:

It's too simplistic to say the lack of patience is what will cause Sarri's (or other similar managers') downfall at the club. I believe we would be patient with him if we actually see some progression/improvement, if he hadn't been so stubborn and wedded in his own methods and decisions, if he hadn't been repeating the same bad decisions that we criticized Mourinho/Conte in the past for, if he hadn't made us so predictable to play against. Have we signs of improvement? Nope. Hardly much, apart from some fellas making a big deal of "oh look, he's making us play better out from the back". It's hard to see where we will go under Sarri, especially if that transfer ban sticks and he has to rely on young players and we all know he isn't exactly open to managing them or the best at doing so. 

Sarri or whichever manager it is needs to make the right decisions and I agree with you specifically with Sarri, he hasn't helped himself with some of his decision making and tactics. 

But my point more generally is that the club needs a proper rebuild not just attempts to paper over the cracks. That is something that could take time, possibly a lot of time. Look at Klopp with Liverpool for example, only last year he was scrapping for 4th place still and has only just addressed defensive and goalkeeping issues this year after 3 and 1/2 years leading up to this. I do think there is a genuine argument that Chelsea fans wouldn't have that level of patience, just as the board probably wouldn't. But we could easily fall into a trap like Arsenal and United have (and Liverpool before them), with poor long term planning (or no plan at all) if we don't address key failings within the club.

Any manager that comes in will come across problems, especially trying to change the long term culture and philosophies at the club. I just believe that in a time like this the fans also need someone and something that they can get behind to get some momentum going, and someone who you know will bring some real passion and leadership to the table.

I also believe that with regards to a rebuild, either a manager knows they'll be given sufficient time and resources by the board (like Klopp or Guardiola) - Our board have yet to prove they're willing to give time. Or you have a manager that is willing to come in and do it no matter the potential consequences or if they're still at the club to see it through. I do believe Lampard would fall into that category (in the same way that i feel Solskjaer would at United). He will want to see Chelsea successful whether he's the manager or not and I think would be more prepared to make the hard decisions for the greater good of the long term (for example more trust in a Reece James or CHO as opposed to feeling the pressure to play the experience in an Azpilicueta or Willian/Pedro over them regularly).

The beauty of football is there are no guarantees, whether it be players or managers. Some that you think are a 'banker' can flop and those you don't expect much from can deliver way beyond your expectations and I just think at a time when Chelsea are no longer a ready-made squad and are instead a longer term rebuild project, the club should also perhaps be looking outside the box for what our manager should be to deliver on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tomo said:

But on the flip side it worked out well appointing Mourinho and to an extent Hiddink the first time (his stock was high after his great work at Euro 2008).

It's up to the club to identify which managers are riding the crest of a wave and which aren't, and if the remit (which it should be given the circumstances we find ourselves in) is to build a future around the best youth we have while playing good football then he fits the bill.

But on the flip, flip side, those appointments you mentioned were 10 years or more ago. Since then, it's been nothing but failures. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antonio8 said:

ten hag is training a group of guys that have played together in the same way from years (except for tagliafico, tadic). 

Indeed. Frank de Boer won titles with Ajax but since then, he has failed at Crystal Palace, Inter Milan and now struggling with Atlanta United. Similar thing happened with Peter Bosz - didn't win any title with Ajax but took them to the Europa League final, got hired by Dortmund and then sacked by them just a few months into the job. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

 

I also believe that with regards to a rebuild, either a manager knows they'll be given sufficient time and resources by the board (like Klopp or Guardiola) - Our board have yet to prove they're willing to give time. Or you have a manager that is willing to come in and do it no matter the potential consequences or if they're still at the club to see it through. I do believe Lampard would fall into that category (in the same way that i feel Solskjaer would at United). He will want to see Chelsea successful whether he's the manager or not and I think would be more prepared to make the hard decisions for the greater good of the long term (for example more trust in a Reece James or CHO as opposed to feeling the pressure to play the experience in an Azpilicueta or Willian/Pedro over them regularly).

.

Using solkjaer as example is very bad way to support lamp. I want lamp to go and prove himself outside Chelsea be successful first and learn as much as possible and then go back here. 

We are not in the situation where we have tons of wc player that just need a little love and guidance. We are building a foundation for our future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tomo said:

Ten Hag like Henrique said would be ideal, but I can see him having most of Europe after him especially if he wins the CL.

Erik Ten Hag would be an absolutely massive risk. Riskier than Sarri, AVB and Di Matteo appointments. Cant believe people think he would actually get time. Hes done extraordinary well with Ajax but lets see how he does next year with no de Ligt, De Jong, Tagliafico, as well as potentially Neres and Ziyech who have had good seasons.

Even then Frank de Bor and Petr Bosz are prime examples that winning at Ajax, where each coach adapts to the clubs philosophy which is ingrained doesnt mean that it can be easily done elsewhere. In hindsight, Sarri is a very similar example without trophies, his style was clear at Napoli for 3 years but hes struggled to implement it here to its fullest yet people want his head and want to go for someone of the same ilk arguably which could have the exact same problems. 

I would get it if people wanted a Diego Simeone or Max Allegri because they are different in styles and adaptable but the coach of Ajax, who was the ex coach of Utretch and Go Ahead Eagles is undoubtedly gonna try and implement a very similar possession based style because thats how most teams try to play in Holland.

If the club were to appoint him he would probably need even more time than what Sarri needs. Which say a year in people will be fed up of him and want another manager to come in. Basically rinse and repeat. Whoever is in charge next season, if they are sticking with this possession orientated style, needs time because theres a lot of work to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jas locked this topic
  • Jas unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...