Kean linked to Chelsea coach role

Coventry City assistant manager Steve Kean has been linked with a senior coaching role alongside new Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Kean had an unsuccessful spell at Celtic then spent six years as a player with Coimbra in Portugal, where he learned to speak Portuguese.

Following coaching jobs at Reading and Fulham, Sky Blues boss Chris Coleman appointed Kean as his number two.

Chelsea are set to open talks with Coventry on a potential offer.

Scolari, 59, was announced as Chelsea manager in the aftermath of Portugal's qualification for the quarter-finals of Euro 2008, but speaks only a little English.

However, his coaching pedigree speaks for itself. He won the 2002 World Cup with Brazil and led Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, and has also won nine domestic trophies in Brazil.

His reputation led him to be considered for the England manager's job in 2006 but he was reportedly put off the role because of fears of media intrusion.

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho had both a Portuguese speaking assistant manager - Baltemar Brito - and an English speaking one in Steve Clarke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/7462555.stm

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what role they have in mind for him? With the lack of news regarding Steve Clarke i am assuming that he is to stay on as an Assistant Manager!

I imagine as a second assistant. When José arrived, he brought Brito who speaks word-perfect English apparently. Maybe why.

I imagine as a second assistant. When José arrived, he brought Brito who speaks word-perfect English apparently. Maybe why.

Doesn't Scolari already have and assistant? If this is true then clearly they are looking for someone to help with translation.

one of my friends sms'ed he's out of contention but can't find anything online..

Edit:

Coventry coach Kean spurns chance to join Scolari's Chelsea

The Coventry City assistant manager Steve Kean has turned down the chance to join Luiz Felipe Scolari's coaching staff at Chelsea. Kean spent six years in Portugal as a player with Coimbra and speaks Portuguese - a potentially vital requisite if Chelsea are looking for a British coach to work alongside the Brazilian Scolari - but he has committed his immediate future to Coventry.

"There was someone acting on behalf of Scolari who contacted me about a role at Chelsea," said Kean. "I was very honest and explained that I'm under contract on a very exciting project at Coventry. I immediately phoned Chris [Coleman, the Coventry manager] and Ray [Ranson, the club chairman] to tell them about it and told them why I thought Chelsea had contacted me.

"I can speak Portuguese, I've got a lot of experience in the Premier League and I suppose I tick the boxes of what they're looking for to help Scolari get started over here. That's probably where it has come from. I have to say I was very flattered by the approach but the simple fact is I'm at Coventry and we are just getting started on something very exciting."

Scolari will take over at Stamford Bridge at the start of next month. He is expected to bring at least two members of his Portugal backroom staff to London - his long-standing assistant Flavio Murtosa and the fitness coach Darlan Schneider.

Guardian

Edited by bombayblue™