Mourinho wishes Scolari luck at 'my Chelsea'

ose Mourinho and Luiz Felipe Scolari have a rivalry that has divided Portuguese football for the last five years but yesterday the former Chelsea manager finally buried the hatchet with his old adversary and gave him his blessing to take over at Stamford Bridge. Mourinho used the platform of his Portuguese newspaper column to say that Scolari had to move for one reason above all – the money. How long the fragile peace holds is debatable, especially as Massimo Moratti, Mourinho's employer as owner of Internazionale, yesterday finally went public in declaring that Frank Lampard was the "No 1 objective". At the same time Deco, who is pushing for a move to Chelsea, declared that his agent Jorge Mendes – also Scolari and Mourinho's agent – was in talks with the club.

When Scolari takes over at Chelsea next month, the future of the England international will be among his priorities although the club said yesterday that it was "relaxed" about Moratti's statement and the fact that Lampard's future is yet to be decided. Scolari will have noticed, however, that Mourinho did refer to his former club as "my Chelsea".

Under a heading of "Scolari at Chelsea", Mourinho asked: "Who can criticise the Portuguese national coach?" He added: "The journalists faced with such a proposal [more money] wouldn't say 'I love my newspaper a lot and I'm not interested in change even if you pay me three times as much. Even if professionally it is a better challenge'. Company directors approached by a bigger company? They would say 'I'm not leaving because I love it a lot here?' Who can criticise Scolari's decision?"

Mourinho also said that the timing of the announcement was unavoidable, that a "super club like Chelsea" could not keep such an appointment quiet for so long and that Scolari's employers at the Portuguese football federation (FPF) could not be expected to keep it a secret either.

"I think that Scolari has acted in the right way. He will be Chelsea manager from the day that European Championship are over for Portugal.

"I don't believe he is studying English when he is supposed to be watching videos and analysing Germany. From my side I give him congratulations for the work he has done and I wish him a lot of luck – the best luck for "my Chelsea". They will always be mine and in my heart except if the Champions League draw puts us face to face."

Moratti's declaration about Lampard was made in the newspaper Corriere dello Sport but he later confirmed on its official website that: "You can say that Mourinho likes Lampard, who is a great player, a lot. But that does not mean it will be easy to get him." Asked if Inter had approached Chelsea about the player, Moratti replied: "I think so, I don't know yet. Above all, what has been done up to now is a [transfer market] strategy with Mourinho."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...sea-848528.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt, I love all of our players no matter how well or poorly they do for us. Mourinho for me is the best manager in the world and Chelsea fans will always remember him for the success he brought to the club. Nonetheless, we all have to move on, and hopefully under Scolari, we can go one better and win that bastard European Cup!

Another class statement from a man that will forever live in the hearts of Chelsea fans the world over. But we do have to move on. After Jose, Grant was a boil on the arse of Chelsea football club, But its time to herald a new era with big Phil, and I personally think we are in for some exciting times in the coming seasons.