Luiz Felipe Scolari: In His Own Words

"I'll wait for you outside, mate" – Scolari books a date with a referee who ordered him from Brazil's bench in 2000.

"He was going to hit [Ricardo] Quaresma and I defended him" - pugilist Phil stands up for his players by thumping the Serbian defender Ivica Dragutinoviç in a Euro 2008 qualifier last September.

"Who was to blame out there was the referee. Two metres offside!" - Scolari's alternative reason for punching Dragutinoviç.

"I'm not perfect. Everyone makes mistakes, and I lost my head here" - the suits from the Portuguese FA prise a confession from chastened Phil over the Serbian punch-up.

"If someone talks about my private life, for example, I'll give them a

good punching. I'm not interested in suing. I like to sort things out

my way" - that sounds like a challenge for the British press.

"Jesus said we should turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, Figo is not

Jesus Christ" - and nor did Jesus headbutt Mark van Bommel, as Luis Figo just had in June 2006.

"I believe firmly in astrology. Since I was a kid, the stars told me I

was a winner" - he's a Scorpio, by the way. The same as the Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

"When the ball goes to his feet it doesn't cry. When it goes to my

feet it cries"- the difference between Zinedine Zidane and Scolari.

"I don't want this situation involving England because in two days

during which I was not coach, I never agreed to anything, my life was

invaded. My privacy was totally under siege" - the Sensitive One rejects England.

"I think Pele knows nothing about soccer. He's done nothing as a coach

and his analysis turns out to be always wrong. If you plan on winning

a title, you do the opposite to what Pele says" - World Cup winner Scolari reveals the secret of his success.

"[He] tortured a lot but there is no illiteracy in Chile" - Big Phil offers a Thatcheresque critique of General Pinochet's leadership.

Guardian

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loyalty is the quality that best defines Luiz Felipe Scolari, according to those closest to him. In early 1999, Wagner Velloso faced a financial problem. The goalkeeper had just helped Palmeiras qualify for the Copa Libertadores, but the Brazilian club's offer of a renewed contract was below expectations. When Palmeiras refused to improve it, Velloso informed his coach he would have to leave.

'Don't go,' came the reply. 'Stay, and I'll make up the difference in your wages from my own.' Velloso remained, Palmeiras won South America's premier club competition, and their coach delivered a cheque signed with the name Scolari. 'No,' Velloso said, tearing the paper up. 'For you, I would do anything.'