Schalke v Chelsea

Jase

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic but for our sake in the Premier League, need City to progress into the knockout stage of the Champions League or at least qualify for the Europa League. Last thing we need is City having only two competitions left to contend and able to focus almost everything on winning the league.

Them not qualifying will hurt their FFP standing so either way its win-win for me.

Yeah but going through 2nd is an absolute minefield in the CL. We'd get one of: Real Madrid, Atletico/Juve, Bayer Leverkusen, PSG/Barca, Porto, Dortmund, Bayern. Only Leverkusen can be seen as relative pushovers there, wouldn't want to be facing any of the other teams so early.

Not saying it would definitely be over, but it would almost definitely be.

On this topic, Arsenal are shafted, lol.

Anyway, that's why a draw would be fine, especially if it's 2-2 or above as that would mean we'd top the group with a draw against Sporting too.

Such a defeatist attitude. We have a quality squad and I'm willing to bet that all the teams you mentioned would definitely want to avoid Jose and this Chelsea side in the knockouts. Doesn't matter where you face them, you have to beat them to win the trophy doesn't matter when.

Arsenal are shafted because they don't have a quality squad, not because they will likely qualify 2nd.

Such a defeatist attitude. We have a quality squad and I'm willing to bet that all the teams you mentioned would definitely want to avoid Jose and this Chelsea side in the knockouts. Doesn't matter where you face them, you have to beat them to win the trophy doesn't matter when.

Arsenal are shafted because they don't have a quality squad, not because they will likely qualify 2nd.

I agree we can beat them, but if you can avoid them, you try to. Until the later rounds that is.

I agree we can beat them, but if you can avoid them, you try to. Until the later rounds that is.

Of course! Keep winning games! But to say we're almost definitely out is a weak defeatist attitude and ridiculous when you consider we're the only team in the 5 big European divisions still undefeated in all competitions.

Just don't like weak statements like that, we're a very good side and on our day can beat anyone.

Of course! Keep winning games! But to say we're almost definitely out is a weak defeatist attitude and ridiculous when you consider we're the only team in the 5 big European divisions still undefeated in all competitions.

Just don't like weak statements like that, we're a very good side and on our day can beat anyone.

Absolutely agree.

Provided Sporting don't absolutely annihilate Maribor tomorrow, two draws should see us top the group on head-to-head.

Wrong.

If we draw our remaining two games we'll top the group regardless of the other results. If both Schalke and Sporting were to get a point from us and three from Maribor, Schalke will end up with 9 points and Sporting at 8 points whereas we'd have 10. Unless Schalke or Sporting beat us there's no way either of them could finish in first place.