Chelsea v West Brom

Jase

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we play anything close to our potential they won't be able to live with us.

I re-watched last years game that ended 2-2 at the bridge and all I could gather was we were extremely slow in the build up and never really came alive till after they equalized. It looked we took our foot off the gas having played midweek in a champions league must win game. We threatened a couple times but never really broke them down with any incision...

Terry and Cahill look completely knackered and JT in particular struggled to contest headers which is so uncommon, he had nothing in the opposition box. The bright spot was Oscar though his shooting was woeful. In the first half West Brom did exactly what pretty much everyone did last year, overloaded our left flank and that resulted in Hazard having a very quiet game and a lot of switches to Brana who never made on decent cross all game( I don't know who he was attempting to hit anyways with Olsson and Reid jumping against Eto'o) Anyways the game plan was poor and we just didn't have any answers.

The reason I am optimistic about this game stems from the fact that I doubt West Brom will have the ability to play as compact as they did in that game. We had no out ball and this time we have Costa who can deal with Lescott and we have Fab who will force them to mark him deep. We also have Matic and although Ramires was really good that game he didn't really provide us with a pass that will slice a defense. I feel Matic will boss the midfield and provide that steel to take control of the game.

Hazard should have more room down the flank but for me, I'd like to see him utilized more in the CAM role more. If they play 4-5-1 I believe there will be an opportunity for Hazard and Costa to make space for each other different from what we'd get from Oscar in that role. I know it likely won't happen but I would try Schurrle on the left, Hazard in the middle and Willian out right. If it doesn't work we go back to the tried, tested and true, but this formation has loads of direct pace to occupy the fullbacks and open things up for Hazard and Costa.

Either way I'm feeling positive that the break was better for us than most and that we will benefit from getting away from the Prem for the two weeks we were away. Batteries recharged now, we're home and ready mentally to carry on the assault... Look for Remy to feature at some point and to make a mark.

Berahino is being slightly overrated (probably because he's english) but he is what Cahill and Terry always struggle with; a smaller, more agile player who lives on the end of play.

exactly. Where is Kalas when you need him? Cahill is still pretty agile for his size, he and JT should be experienced enough to deal with little Berahino. Anyway. Maybe this game is also a chance to shuffle the pack a bit and play Zouma and/or Ake to rest some players for Schalke where we have to win in order to secure 1st spot.

exactly. Where is Kalas when you need him? Cahill is still pretty agile for his size, he and JT should be experienced enough to deal with little Berahino. Anyway. Maybe this game is also a chance to shuffle the pack a bit and play Zouma and/or Ake to rest some players for Schalke where we have to win in order to secure 1st spot.

Sorry to say, we will not play our backup in this match. It is a very important match and we're not in injury crisis.

Wouldn't say he's on "fire" He's scored 7 goals, 3 pens....

He's doing well but I can't say he's been electrifying

2 against Burnley, 2 against Sunderland...

Yes but I want remind you that he is WBA player and not Manchester United or city and he scored 7 goals after 11 matches.

Wouldn't say he's on "fire" He's scored 7 goals, 3 pens....

He's doing well but I can't say he's been electrifying

2 against Burnley, 2 against Sunderland...

So? Majority of Costa's goals have come against weaker opposition.

So? Majority of Costa's goals have come against weaker opposition.

What do Costa and Berahino have in common? Lol Diego's scored goals in the champions league and has pretty much scored in every game he's played in for Chelsea. Don't make silly comparisons like that.

I simply said Berahino isn't on fire. If you look at his goals this year most of them came early on and he hasn't scored in his last two.