Gerard Pique

Billy.

I think Cahill has been brilliant since he's joined us. I'm not sure which system this is but it's clear we're playing more open this season with more emphasis on being expansive and less compact.

If you want to make an argument for the system making players look better or worse, then the same can be said for Ivanovic, Azpilicueta and even Terry. They've had periods this season when they've been less than convincing.

And I don't know how anyone can say Cahill is a mediocre defender. He's not absolute world class level, but he isn't far off. Pique will be a fairly huge downgrade.

You clearly rate Cahill much higher than I do. To me, he's no better than mediocre, so we'll have to disagree on that.

I wanted a fast, individually good world-class CB this summer for a reason. Though Pique obviously doesn't fit the description either.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowadays the only thing he cares about is poker and betting and go out in the night. Luis Enrique is hoping to take it off him.

A few days ago, he said that the football is only a hobby for him.

I don't want this guy in my team. He doesn't know that it's to be committed and to be responsibility. It's an immature guy.

No, please.

Funnily this is the same feeling and reaction when I heard Fabregas rumour too.

Except.. Fabregas is a good footballer.

Pique is a good defender, maybe not the best out there but he is hardly worse than Cahill. Hes been out of sorts this year but I've been reading that he isn't a regular under Luis Enrique, also I don't feel he suits a very high line due to his lack of pace. He'd be a good signing here, he is a good defender, we don't play a very high line and he is very comfortable on the ball. 23M or whatever would be a decent deal in my eyes, for someone who has won absolutely everything he can win.

excuse my speling, my keyboard is being a bitch.

He's been performing horibly ever since Puyol began declining, so for about 2.5-3 years really. His position alwareness is absolutely horible (as shown against Real Madrid). Basically, Pique is David Luiz with a nice beard and a stunning wife

Except.. Fabregas is a good footballer.

I used to think that Fabregas is not this good too, until you see it in front of your eyes. Even I thought every Barca are diving c**** including him before. I learned my mistake, and I will judge the player after he really playing for us. You never know.

I agree that Pique is a pretty mediocre defender, but I disagree that Cahill is a billion times better. He's just as mediocre as Pique; but at least Pique is good on the ball. Our system is making Cahill look a lot better than he actually is, IMO.

A system which depends on the defenders having a 0 margin of error against any big team and the same team which is yet to lose any match in a big game. Well I would take a player which fits our system than any "supposedly" WC defender like luiz or pique who can't defend if their life depended on it.

He is fucking overrated CB but if he actualy comes here, I will give him some time to see how will Mou work it out...

Pique has strength, he is tall, good on ball, experienced and good age, but he has one big flaw and thats his mentality.

Would prefer CB who is more a "leader" but honestly there arent many out there who tick all boxes. Hummels is prone to errors and injuries while Varane is unavailable and bit too young to lead our defence. Unavailable anyway.

I'm not buying all this talk of Barcelona's system doesn't suit defenders. Pique has grown up in that system. So he can have no excuses for crappy performances.

It's not just that he gets exposed at the back. When I see him play, he makes basic defensive mistakes. Playing with Puyol covered it up because Puyol commanded his back line really well.

Sorry, but I won't jump on the "Pique is shit" bandwagon. Let's take a step back and evaluate what Pique really is about. Yes he is overrated, but he has won everything there is and he has had significantly contributed to that. Against Germany in 2010 he was a fuckin wall. In the two CL finals vs ManU he was immense. No one would get past him. He surely knows how to pick up form for big matches. ON the other hand he gets cought ballwatching more so often. Though he has excellent tackling skills, esp his fair, standing tacklings are second to none. HIs positional sense is average. HIs heading ability is ok for his size. His leap and height are a nice bonus. He is very skilfull for a defender but more disciplined than DAvid LUiz. IMO his experience speaks for itself so I would go for him.

That being said, I highly doubt he will move, having only renewed his contract in 2014 and BArca being short of quality defenders.

And he having failed at MU is not really a valid argument. It was ages ago. He failed for th same reason e.g. Matic did: they were too young. Coming back Pique could be just as much a success having matured as a player.

Damn. His signing may prove quite the hurdle in the development of Omeruo/Zouma/Kalas/Christensen. Not likely they'd collectively wait until Cahill and Pique ran past their shelf-lives of 3-4 more years just so the 4 of them could start competing amongst each other for 1 or 2 slots.

And between Cahill and Pique there's probably going to be an exorbitant amount of last-ditch slide tackling and attempted blocked-shots as a result of slightly less-than-average marking. At least paired with Terry and Puyol, respectively, it was mitigated for the most part.

Wait, so if Pique is overrated because he was given the benefit of playing in a specific system and a specific partner(puyol) to shine, wouldn't the same go for busquets???

Busquets should be in his peak, but ever since the decline of xavi, busquets has never looked like he did years prior...

Pique and sergio busquets are in the same boat.

Exactly why I cant wait for javi martinez to replace busquets for Spain.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You