Kenyon set to splash the cash

Peter Kenyon has declared Chelsea are set for a summer shopping spree in order to land the 'star' names required to bridge the gap to Manchester United.

Chelsea narrowly missed out to United by two points in the Premier League title race and the Blues also suffered penalty shoot-out heartbreak against the same opponents in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League final.

The failure to land a trophy this season has heaped pressure on manager Avram Grant and chief executive Kenyon has admitted his disappointment at finishing behind United.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is now expected to make available a £100million transfer kitty and Kenyon has revealed the club are only looking to bring in big names, with the likes of Milan playmaker Kaka and Real Madrid ace Robinho thought to be prime targets.

"We will be bringing in a couple of players," Kenyon said in the Daily Express.

kenyon_574430.jpg

"But we are looking at a very thin market from a quality point of view, and it's realistic to say we're only looking at a small number of players.

"We're looking at players who have the potential to be star names. When you look at what we've already got, are they better than that?

"Manchester United set the benchmark for transfer fees last year. I didn't expect them to go out and spend that much.

"But what this season has proved is that we have a squad of real depth. It's more about tweaking than a rebuild.

"Three months ago, we were involved in four competitions, six weeks ago we were still in two and we got knocked out of the last one.

"It's disappointing from that point of view, but we're going to regroup from that and come back better next season.

"It's been an interesting season, but you don't like finishing second and as runners-up. Given the standards we've set at the club, that's not something we've settled for."

Kenyon is also confident Chelsea will be able to keep hold of their top players this summer, despite speculation that Didier Drogba is heading for Milan and that Internazionale have set their sights on Frank Lampard.

"We're pretty confident that the players we want to keep, we'll keep," Kenyon concluded.

Source: Sky Sports

Edited by EskWeston

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of players? could be anything really from 2 to 4 or more! Very vague as usual. Obviously it all depends on who leaves because people have to leave for players to come in because our squad is very very full. I would be amazed and also bitterly dissapointed if we didn't sign a winger!! That for me is the most important position to fill.........

Most important for me is the coach....

We have to look at the exits..more than likely ..

Drogba

Ben Haim

SWP

Sheva

Belletti

Pizzaro

Sidwell

So from that perspective, probably more than two. I think the youth system will again be shown up for being just a niceity, as quality players will be bought in rather than nurtured.

Most important for me is the coach....

We have to look at the exits..more than likely ..

Drogba

Ben Haim

SWP

Sheva

Belletti

Pizzaro

Sidwell

So from that perspective, probably more than two. I think the youth system will again be shown up for being just a niceity, as quality players will be bought in rather than nurtured.

Well i think we are looking at pretty much certain exits from Ben Haim, Sidwell, Pizarro. There are more than likely to be exits from Belletti, Sheva and Wright-Phillips. A lot does depend who who the manager is next season and what formation they have in mind.

I don't see any reason why we can't build our squad as normal and then expand it with a few youth players and keep them involved with the first team and given chances wherever possible - hopefully the 7 subs rule will make it easier to do.

Well i think we are looking at pretty much certain exits from Ben Haim, Sidwell, Pizarro. There are more than likely to be exits from Belletti, Sheva and Wright-Phillips. A lot does depend who who the manager is next season and what formation they have in mind.

I don't see any reason why we can't build our squad as normal and then expand it with a few youth players and keep them involved with the first team and given chances wherever possible - hopefully the 7 subs rule will make it easier to do.

The 7 subs could make a difference. If players were voted out on popularity Malouda would be out as well. I would like to see him and Drogba stay, fans are quick to want Drogba out -I reckon he's been misquoted a lot of the time -why dont the press pick on old 'bacon neck' Tevez for misquotes ? OK Drogba shouldn't have bitch slapped Vidic , but glad he did in a way.

As long as we keep the main core, and get a coach in who is qualified, we will be stronger next time.

The 7 subs could make a difference. If players were voted out on popularity Malouda would be out as well. I would like to see him and Drogba stay, fans are quick to want Drogba out -I reckon he's been misquoted a lot of the time -why dont the press pick on old 'bacon neck' Tevez for misquotes ? OK Drogba shouldn't have bitch slapped Vidic , but glad he did in a way.

As long as we keep the main core, and get a coach in who is qualified, we will be stronger next time.

If as we are led to beleive the club are looking for exciting attacking football then we do need somewhat of a revamp because the players we have are great players but need some more creativity in the team to make it flow better. If we are playing 4-3-3 i think we need 2 new wingers (fast and skillful) and a midfield playmaker to play higher up the pitch than what we have at the moment. If we change to 4-4-2 we still need 2 wingers IMO and another big big name striker.

I would be happy to see Drogba stay, Malouda, under normal circumstances i would give him another season, but considering we desperately need to upgrade our wings i would have to replace him - Kalou and J.Cole to stay and 2 new wingers to arrive.

If as we are led to beleive the club are looking for exciting attacking football then we do need somewhat of a revamp because the players we have are great players but need some more creativity in the team to make it flow better. If we are playing 4-3-3 i think we need 2 new wingers (fast and skillful) and a midfield playmaker to play higher up the pitch than what we have at the moment. If we change to 4-4-2 we still need 2 wingers IMO and another big big name striker.

I would be happy to see Drogba stay, Malouda, under normal circumstances i would give him another season, but considering we desperately need to upgrade our wings i would have to replace him - Kalou and J.Cole to stay and 2 new wingers to arrive.

I mean who would people rather offload Drogba or Anelka ? On the Moscow performance I think Anelka showed his mercenary colours. Not really up for it, and decidedly unfit.

I'm not sure we need another midfield 'playmaker' though Ribery is pretty versatile, and a good winger that can switch from right to left would make all the difference. With Kalou and Cole only one is really needed....

I cant see Kenyon going mad and sanctioning a mass buy in unless theres a mass exodus.

2 new wingers ? were the hell would joe cole go ?

I mean who would people rather offload Drogba or Anelka ? On the Moscow performance I think Anelka showed his mercenary colours. Not really up for it, and decidedly unfit.

I'm not sure we need another midfield 'playmaker' though Ribery is pretty versatile, and a good winger that can switch from right to left would make all the difference. With Kalou and Cole only one is really needed....

I cant see Kenyon going mad and sanctioning a mass buy in unless theres a mass exodus.

Next season could be a different story for him but at the moment it doesn't look like Anelka can play a lone striker role, we shouldn't be playing him on the wing so the only reason to keep him is if we are playing 2 up top if you ask me!

Our midfield is awesome, Mikel, Essien, Lampard and Ballack are all top top class players but there is a lacking of invention in there and i think if we are playing 3 in there, then there is room to bring in another clever player who will open teams up for us down the middle.

I definately can't see anymore than 4 comming in, our defence is more than sorted so unless there are any shock departures we are sorted there. Our midfield, like i said maybe 1 addition. The attacking end is where we need our tweeking done and there is no need to sign more than 3 there...

we havent switched wings a lot this season unlike previous years..

Next season could be a different story for him but at the moment it doesn't look like Anelka can play a lone striker role, we shouldn't be playing him on the wing so the only reason to keep him is if we are playing 2 up top if you ask me!

Our midfield is awesome, Mikel, Essien, Lampard and Ballack are all top top class players but there is a lacking of invention in there and i think if we are playing 3 in there, then there is room to bring in another clever player who will open teams up for us down the middle.

I definately can't see anymore than 4 comming in, our defence is more than sorted so unless there are any shock departures we are sorted there. Our midfield, like i said maybe 1 addition. The attacking end is where we need our tweeking done and there is no need to sign more than 3 there...

The lack of creativity is a problem their is a brazilian player for cska moscow called ramon osni. He is very close to kaka in terms of style very direct and is the master of the through ball he is just turned 20 too.

we havent switched wings a lot this season unlike previous years..

It could have cost a point here and there. That was the forte of Robben and Duff (for all their fragility), and it panics defences.

I noticed ManYoo had Riverdance attacking Essien when we expected him to be on Ashley Coles side.

I think if i could have my choice right now i would bring in Kaka, Robinho and Dos Santos and have our squad looking like this:

Keepers: Cech, Cudicini, Hilario

Right Backs: Bosingwa, Ferreira

Centre Backs: Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Ivanovic, Mancienne

Left Backs: A.Cole, Bridge

Central Midfield: Essien, Mikel, Ballack, Lampard, Kaka, Cork (Maka)

Wingers: J.Cole, Kalou, Robinho, Dos Santos, Sinclair

Strikers: Drogba, Anelka, Shevchenko, Di Santo

Playing a 4-3-3.... all 3 signings are possible, Dos Santos looking like it is nearly done, Madrid aparently looking to get money from Robinho sale to finance a move for Ronaldo and Kaka missing out on CL footie could make a move likely..