Diego Costa

Spike

Should we buy Ciro Immobile instead? I suggested Wilfried Bony last summer after we had been linked with him for months, but apparently Lukaku was going to be the next striker, according to the online forum users. Not sure who else Chelsea would consider right now. Dip into Ligue 1 again?

Lacazette, anyone? Costa is good, I've seen a lot of him, he's a great signing. Cheap too. Strong, great finishing, good link up play. It'll take a season to adjust but he'll still do good. 25+ goals in his first season, I think.

He's basically a worse version than Drogba. I don't like his shots, they're incredibly weak. I don't like his technical ability and his dribbling as someone said above, it's not smooth. he's not a naturally talented footballer. the only good thing about him is his strength. he's a bully and he wins balls because of his power than technical ability. I don't like these type of strikers (unless you're Drogba strong). I'd rather have someone like Aguero/Suarez who can dribble, have great shooting and create goals when they're not scoring.

Aguero/Suarez are REALLY EXPENSIVE! Of course we'd all rather have one of them. Why not get Zlatan? Costa is good, real good. What's it matter if he's not the most technically sound, he gets the job done. That's what matters.

He got the gut, he doesn't score he will try to provoke and dive for penalties/free kicks/to get opponents booked. We missed that, no more mr nice guy at ST

I didn't mean it in that sense. I was reffering to the fat that Costa actually tries. He doesn't stop even when he is playing badly which is something Torres doesn't do here at Chelsea.

And

That to me does matter!!

I get that, honestly I do. But you're taking someone out of an environment where they've shined, excelled, been a cunt, pulled out all the stops etc. and putting him into a brand new one. Just because those traits lie with a player in one environment, doesn't mean they'll get transferred when the player does.

I'm speaking generically here though, in the context of Costa himself I really hope he takes these qualities and continues applying them if he is come here. I just don't want us to put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I get that, honestly I do. But you're taking someone out of an environment where they've shined, excelled, been a cunt, pulled out all the stops etc. and putting him into a brand new one. Just because those traits lie with a player in one environment, doesn't mean they'll get transferred when the player does.

I'm speaking generically here though, in the context of Costa himself I really hope he takes these qualities and continues applying them if he is come here. I just don't want us to put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

So if he moves here he will suddenly become mr nice guy aka Torres in your opinion? Torres has always been a nice guy all his career, he has never been the one to kick up the fuss but rather the 1 that flourished on confidence from others in him. Btw this new environment thing is overrated.

So if he moves here he will suddenly become mr nice guy aka Torres in your opinion? Torres has always been a nice guy all his career, he has never been the one to kick up the fuss but rather the 1 that flourished on confidence from others in him. Btw this new environment thing is overrated.

Nope, not suggesting that, I'm simply suggesting a period of adjustment will take place were he won't be all guns blazing. Whether he can overcome that or not, is up to him..

I also believe the 'new environment thing is overrated' statement isn't right. Already this season you see guys like Soldado, Giroud etc failing to adapt when so prolific in their previous leagues. Of course on the other side you have guys like Negredo who do adapt. Like I said, I'm not saying for sure Costa will not adapt and I hope he does. Just giving a bit of perspective.

Costa won't flop like Torres because he has something that Torres doesn't.... heart and fucking soul!!!!

He's undeterred and persistent. Unfazed by the opponent, the challenge. That mentality and his physical presence make up for his technical shortcomings and lack of pace. I'm hoping he goes on to score plenty of goals for Chelsea.

ermm criticising team mates (the controversial lack of creativity accusation interview), constant moaning at refs, unprofessional mannerism when things aren't going his way, the Munich farce, throwing a fit over being subbed off amongst other things aren't attitude and character traits often associated with "nice guys". this myth has to stop.

dont get why people are talking about his technique. he is playing in spain, a league where especially technique is needed and he is doing great there. he is no Ibrahmiovic, Suarez or Aguero, but he is very good technically. also, he is quite fast.

According to goal.com, they deal is as good as done. 42,5 m euros (I know goal arent really reliable)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2014/04/17/4758063/chelsea-close-in-on-425m-diego-costa-deal?ICID=HP_TS_1

futhermore he is mentally very strong. he had a goul drought this season, but he came out of it by his own. Torres probably would have burried himself alive at this phase

Honestly, people are overstating his lack of technical skills. Yes, he isn't Aguero or Suarez but he's still good technically. Maybe he has an ugly dribbling style but so did Drogba, didn't mean Didier was bad technically.

WHO is overstating his lack of technical skills?

WHO is overstating his lack of technical skills?

Here...

That mentality and his physical presence make up for his technical shortcomings

His technical ability is decent but nothing exceptional and while his link-up play might be better than Falcao's but sometimes he could look really awkward with the ball at his feet - Ramires awkward.

He's basically a worse version than Drogba. I don't like his shots, they're incredibly weak. I don't like his technical ability and his dribbling as someone said above, it's not smooth. he's not a naturally talented footballer. the only good thing about him is his strength. he's a bully and he wins balls because of his power than technical ability. I don't like these type of strikers (unless you're Drogba strong). I'd rather have someone like Aguero/Suarez who can dribble, have great shooting and create goals when they're not scoring.

Here...

Right, thanks for the reply, but it doesn't seem like any individual is "overstating" a lack of technical ability. He has decent technique on the ball but he doesn't look silky smooth, so people have different opinions, but I don't see any one person overstating a lack of technical ability. He is still 25 and arguably growing into his role or maturing overall, so we'll see how it goes.

Right, thanks for the reply, but it doesn't seem like any individual is "overstating" a lack of technical ability. He has decent technique on the ball but he doesn't look silky smooth, so people have different opinions, but I don't see any one person overstating a lack of technical ability. He is still 25 and arguably growing into his role or maturing overall, so we'll see how it goes.

I agree with you on the latter but when people start saying he's Ramires awkward with the ball and that he isn't a natural footballer and that he relies more on power than anything it is overstating his lack of technical ability... Like I said before, he isn't Aguero or Suarez or Ibra, but that doesn't mean he's not good technically.

I agree with you on the latter but when people start saying he's Ramires awkward with the ball and that he isn't a natural footballer and that he relies more on power than anything it is overstating his lack of technical ability... Like I said before, he isn't Aguero or Suarez or Ibra, but that doesn't mean he's not good technically.

good point. one would hope he's better than Ramires on the ball as a forward, but I can find that Ramires characterization someone else made agreeable too at times (not every time he has the ball though).

Well I said, at times (emphasis on 'at times') he could look Ramires awkward on the ball, which is the truth. That's not an over-exaggeration in the slightest. Overstating his technical abilities would be to say he's a poor man's Drogba.