Diego Costa

Spike

No one reporting on this story knows the transfer fee, but it looks like 42.5 million EUROS is the current estimation by some papers. It's amazing how often the daily papers in England report the cost in pounds as though 42mil EUROS = 42 mil P.

42.5Euros = ~35P, which is a very good price for a supposed top striker --in the present high-spending climate. Means we would be getting Costa for less money than PSG for a slightly older Cavani last summer.

I think 35m would be excellent business. I've watched quite a bit of Atletico's games this season and I have the same question mark about Costa as a few others do - is he a great striker or is he a product of a very good Atleti side? His technical ability is decent but nothing exceptional and while his link-up play might be better than Falcao's but sometimes he could look really awkward with the ball at his feet - Ramires awkward.

But on the other hand he strikes me as a late bloomer type of player and to be honest I see so many similarities between him and Drogba in his first season here - the way they both play, their attitude, their fighting nature, and I think Costa even has that bit of rawness in his game that Drogba also had back then. So while I wouldn't put him on the same level as the great strikers, but I do see a lot of potential in him to reach those heights and I think he'd do well here - especially under Mourinho. One can only hope.

Those prices sound much more realistic although there is a question about how Courtois fits into any of this.

As for how he fits into the team, I love his movement. He's always keeping defenders busy and you'd hope that one of Hazard, Oscar and Willian would be capable of playing balls through to him. He's a massive unit as well and has that physicality we've lacked all season (Demba only recently learning how to play with his back to goal apparently) so should help create space for the AMs as well as being a good target for crosses.

Of course I'm hesitant about signings of this nature because of our track record, but he seems to be Jose's choice and fit a lot of the criteria Jose likes in a striker. He's also got that nasty streak in him which we DO need ahead of the choirboys like Hazard and Oscar.

Exciting times.

He's basically a worse version than Drogba. I don't like his shots, they're incredibly weak. I don't like his technical ability and his dribbling as someone said above, it's not smooth. he's not a naturally talented footballer. the only good thing about him is his strength. he's a bully and he wins balls because of his power than technical ability. I don't like these type of strikers (unless you're Drogba strong). I'd rather have someone like Aguero/Suarez who can dribble, have great shooting and create goals when they're not scoring.

I think 35m would be excellent business. I've watched quite a bit of Atletico's games this season and I have the same question mark about Costa as a few others do - is he a great striker or is he a product of a very good Atleti side? His technical ability is decent but nothing exceptional and while his link-up play might be better than Falcao's but sometimes he could look really awkward with the ball at his feet - Ramires awkward.

But on the other hand he strikes me as a late bloomer type of player and to be honest I see so many similarities between him and Drogba in his first season here - the way they both play, their attitude, their fighting nature, and I think Costa even has that bit of rawness in his game that Drogba also had back then. So while I wouldn't put him on the same level as the great strikers, but I do see a lot of potential in him to reach those heights and I think he'd do well here - especially under Mourinho. One can only hope.

I think Costa is Ramires-awkward on the ball, but the difference is that he has better balance and strength up against defenders than some strikers we know in the Premier League. Also, his mentality is always in a state of "undeterred." just the way I see him.

He's basically a worse version than Drogba. I don't like his shots, they're incredibly weak. I don't like his technical ability and his dribbling as someone said above, it's not smooth. he's not a naturally talented footballer. the only good thing about him is his strength. he's a bully and he wins balls because of his power than technical ability. I don't like these type of strikers (unless you're Drogba strong). I'd rather have someone like Aguero/Suarez who can dribble, have great shooting and create goals when they're not scoring.

Should we buy Ciro Immobile instead? I suggested Wilfried Bony last summer after we had been linked with him for months, but apparently Lukaku was going to be the next striker, according to the online forum users. Not sure who else Chelsea would consider right now. Dip into Ligue 1 again?

I think if you're comparing Costa now to Drogba in his prime, then obviously Drogba is the better player. But when Drogba was Costa's age, from what I remember I don't think there's much between them in terms of quality.

Well isn't this typical, Chelsea fans have wanked over this guy all season and when it gets reported that Mourinho has made Costa his primary target and that we're finally close to signing him (for a reasonable price if I might add), the same people begin questioning his talent and start suggesting other players instead.

Well isn't this typical, Chelsea fans have wanked over this guy all season and when it gets reported that Mourinho has made Costa his primary target and that we're finally close to signing him (for a reasonable price if I might add), the same people begin questioning his talent and start suggesting other players instead.

Welcome to the life on an internet forum.

Costa won't flop like Torres because he has something that Torres doesn't.... heart and fucking soul!!!!

erm...... while that's a great trait on a personal level it doesn't really matter lol. Sheva had that at Milan, Torres had that Liverpool. In fact, from our strikers that did well they weren't that fussed about leaving their current clubs. Examples like Anelka, Hasselbaink, Gudjohnsen. Drogba did have a connection with Marseille, but not that great.

If anything, heart and soul at one club usually doesn't help when the player leaves that club.

erm...... while that's a great trait on a personal level it doesn't really matter lol. Sheva had that at Milan, Torres had that Liverpool. In fact, from our strikers that did well they weren't that fussed about leaving their current clubs. Examples like Anelka, Hasselbaink, Gudjohnsen. Drogba did have a connection with Marseille, but not that great.

If anything, heart and soul at one club usually doesn't help when the player leaves that club.

He got the gut, he doesn't score he will try to provoke and dive for penalties/free kicks/to get opponents booked. We missed that, no more mr nice guy at ST

I didn't mean it in that sense. I was reffering to the fat that Costa actually tries. He doesn't stop even when he is playing badly which is something Torres doesn't do here at Chelsea.

And

That to me does matter!!