Diego Costa

Spike

he still got 20 goals and 15 assists last season. loads of people knew who he was.

Well, he plays in a league where there are only 2 top teams and 1 above-average team. I still think he is overrated when compared to world class strikers because all of this fuss around him now is too premature. While I understand why Brazil and Spain are keen to get him, I don't think he would be a big upgrade from Torres and Etoo. In the future I may change my mind but this is my opinion now.

Maybe its just you who didnt know him. His allround play when he played along Falcao was much better than Falcao's, but whole team was playing on Falcao and thats why he scored "only" 20 goals. Now he has got main role and he is already at 11 goals in like 10 games. Plus 2 goals in single CL game. He might not suit our style completely, but under Mou we play counter football with fast passes to striker(s) and Costa is very good at that. He scores goals and that is all that matters. He can also hold up play and link up, but sure, I would wait until end of season to see if he can keep it for two seasons. And boy he is faster than it seems...

Of course when I said nobody knew him I didn't mean that literally.. What I meant was that he was a good striker. But definately not one that catched the interest of major clubs.

Please let's discuss about the Diego Costa situation, the situation of one player playing for another Country. What are your thoughs about it? Do you think that this is normal in any situation? Would you do it?

http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/17011-playing-for-another-country/#entry788128

Overrated player imo.

He's had a good start this season, but lets not forget 3 months ago nobody knew who Diego Costa was. I'll wait till the end of the season to see.

We've also been linked with Benzema, who is more horrible than Torres in his lowest form.

I don't think we need a striker. Torres and Etoo are slowly getting into shape. But I'm not surprised Mourinho is looking for options. I mean, what if Etoo doesn't meet the expectations and Torres goes back to being unreliable in the middle of the season? We would have missed the chance to get a striker in January with so much at stake. I'm sure that's a question that is going through the manager's mind.

That's not true. He was unkown for you or for people who doesn't follow la liga. He was outstanding last season. And two seasons ago he scored 9 in 16 for Rayo Vallecano.

This is really dumb...

Your going to go to Brazil and play for a different country??? I would get extra security for him and his family...Can you imagine the backlash he's going to receive there.

It's one thing to play for Spain, but it's another thing to play in the world cup in Brazil and most likely against Brazil....

I hope Negredo, Soldado and Torres end up being picked ahead of him in the World Cup!

I hope we kick Spain's arse again, with him in the starting XI :P

I understand his choice, and I'm really very little patriotic about all things, not only sports, and still I feel betrayed. Yeah, I get he only played professionally in Spain, that he has a Spain passport, being considered a Spain citizen. But his country needed and wanted him. If he was so convinced he wanted to play for Spain, why did he play a friendly for us earlier this year?

He has the right to do it, I even understand his reasons, I just can't overlook it and forgive him. I wish him no bad things - except losing to us in the WC, other than that good luck for him in Spain. That is, if he goes to the WC at all. There's still plenty of time for that to happen and while he's a very good striker, they have other players who may have a promising season too. Hopefully Torres is one of those :P

This is really dumb...

Your going to go to Brazil and play for a different country??? I would get extra security for him and his family...Can you imagine the backlash he's going to receive there.

It's one thing to play for Spain, but it's another thing to play in the world cup in Brazil and most likely against Brazil....

I don't think there will be much of a problem because it's not like he has a big fan base in Brazil. He has always played abroad. Still I can't help but feel a bit disgusted after knowing his choice.

I don't think there will be much of a problem because it's not like he has a big fan base in Brazil. He has always played abroad. Still I can't help but feel a bit disgusted after knowing his choice.

Was there ever a backlash like this when a Brazilian chose to play for Portugal's NT? Just curious

Was there ever a backlash like this when a Brazilian chose to play for Portugal's NT? Just curious

Like Deco? I don't think so. Probably because we didn't feel like we needed him and also because that player would not be strengthening one of the biggest contenders to take the cup in our country when we sorely need good strikers and the WC is just around the corner.

I hope we kick Spain's arse again, with him in the starting XI :P

I understand his choice, and I'm really very little patriotic about all things, not only sports, and still I feel betrayed. Yeah, I get he only played professionally in Spain, that he has a Spain passport, being considered a Spain citizen. But his country needed and wanted him. If he was so convinced he wanted to play for Spain, why did he play a friendly for us earlier this year?

He has the right to do it, I even understand his reasons, I just can't overlook it and forgive him. I wish him no bad things - except losing for us in the WC, other than that good luck for him in Spain. That is, if he goes to the WC at all. There's still plenty of time for that to happen and while he's a very good striker, they have other players who may have a promising season to.

I dont think he has any right to do so because he already played for Brazil when no one in Spain wanted him!

It is a superb hipocracy to play for two countries. You either feel you belong to one nation or another. You cant go choosing one country after have already participated in a different country before. This isnt club football!!!

My problem is not with players wanting to player for X, Y or Z. If you have the citzenship, than it is up to you. However, the reasons behind the decision must be cultural and sentimental, not in any way professional.

There are many, many, example of players who were born in one country but play for another. That is fine by me. But Diego Costa's situation is a whole lot different!!!

The fucking traitor that Diego is has no respect for either Brazil nor Spain. He is just using them both to elevate his career and decided to go for the one he thinks he has more chances of being a starter. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

International football is all about representing your nation (be that the one you were born or not). And not just another tournament for players to want to participate in. That is why I have so much respect for the likes of Giggs, Bale, etc, and no respect for Diego Costa.

As a citizen of Brazil And Spain (I can prove that for you if you dont believe), I feel absolutely insulted by Diego Costa playing for either one!!!!

Like Deco? I don't think so. Probably because we didn't feel like we needed him and also because that player would not be strengthening one of the biggest contenders to take the cup in our country when we sorely need good strikers and the WC is just around the corner.

Yeah, Deco, Pepe... Those are the two biggest names I remember. I understand the frustration though must be terrible

This is the first time that a player that has a real chance to play for Brazil recuses the call and prefers the other... In the case of the br-portuguese players, Brazil didn't tryed to call them, they didn't played for us and let us disappointed.

i think they should change the rules. even if its friendlies you shouldnt go around playing for multiple countries.

I dont think he has any right to do so because he already played for Brazil when no one in Spain wanted him!

It is a superb hipocracy to play for two countries. You either feel you belong to one nation or another. You cant go choosing one country after have already participated in a different country before. This isnt club football!!!

My problem is not with players wanting to player for X, Y or Z. If you have the citzenship, than it is up to you. However, the reasons behind the decision must be cultural and sentimental, not in any way professional.

There are many, many, example of players who were born in one country but play for another. That is fine by me. But Diego Costa's situation is a whole lot different!!!

The fucking traitor that Diego is has no respect for either Brazil nor Spain. He is just using them both to elevate his career and decided to go for the one he thinks he has more chances of being a starter. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

International football is all about representing your nation (be that the one you were born or not). And not just another tournament for players to want to participate in. That is why I have so much respect for the likes of Giggs, Bale, etc, and no respect for Diego Costa.

As a citizen of Brazil And Spain (I can prove that for you if you dont believe), I feel absolutely insulted by Diego Costa playing for either one!!!!

I agree with both of you. I said it was his right in the most basic meaning of the word, meaning it was in his hands. But FIFA rules are terrible. Brazil didn't have any official matches between Olympic Games and CC, so how could he be part of an official match if we weren't playing them? Also regardless of that, a friendly is a FIFA match, that counts points to the rankings that determine among other things the seeds in the WC. It shouldn't be ignored.

I don't condone with his decision, I feel betrayed and I think he humiliated us.

As for his chances of playing there, if anything he has less competition here. Who knows if Fred won't be injured during the WC? He spends most time injured and the rest of our strikers are jokers, while Spain has some decent ones.

How is he doing anything wrong?

He has the choice to choose to play for Spain or Brazil so why shouldn't he be able to choose? Brazilians are just annoyed because they lack a class striker and he is choosing to play for Spain because they obviously wanted him more. He played in a friendly for Brazil but still, its not a competitive match so if there is a problem it is with FIFA's rule and not Diego Costa.

All I am seeing is certain Brazilian members annoyed because he has the ability to choose, Scolari hasn't show any sort of major interest in him since he started scoring goals at the start of the season. He obviously felt like an outsider because he had a pretty impressive season last year where Scolari could have called him up a lot more but he didn't.

I agree with both of you. I said it was his right in the most basic meaning of the word, meaning it was in his hands. But FIFA rules are terrible. Brazil didn't have any official matches between Olympic Games and CC, so how could he be part of an official match if we weren't playing them? Also regardless of that, a friendly is a FIFA match, that counts points to the rankings that determine among other things the seeds in the WC. It shouldn't be ignored.

I don't condone with his decision, I feel betrayed and I think he humiliated us.

As for his chances of playing there, if anything he has less competition here. Who knows if Fred won't be injured during the WC? He spends most time injured and the rest of our strikers are jokers, while Spain has some decent ones.

All true, but I dont think he humiliated us. I think that is too strong of a word for the fuck all that Diego Costa means!

As Jcar92 said: we have 5 (FIVE!) fucking stars, have had the best players of all time and trashed Spain in the Confederations Cup.

Diego Costa doesnt scare me at all and I didnt even wanted him to be called up....