Attacking midfielders crisis?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, thats what I wrote in first post; crisis might be a bit overreacted. I completely trust Mou and the players, but there is worst case scenario possible that neither of them shows form during whole season. And im certain if we wont have regular performer in this team next season, we might lose the title to City again. That main performer last year was Terry/Cole/Azpi and we had best defence in league. Next season we need one in attack also. It doesnt have to be AM, it could be Fabregas or Costa (however I doubt that they would perform through whole season; Cesc goes off in second part oftenly and Costa hasnt played in PL before). To break small teams, we will need that one guy and if Oscar still underperforms, that will be biggest problem. Unless we sign Vidal/Pogba,,...and move Cesc in advanced role if that will be required. I feel Hazard will have to be realy on top next season if we want title. When he plays great we win, when he doesnt we dont. If no one will step up, we could face problems in consistancy next year again.

Therefore I guess adding experienced AM would be GREAT, but we dont have space and I dont even think Mou plans that anyway. Getting older striker besides Costa, while shipping Ba, Etoo, Torres/Lukaku away could prove to be equaly successful too, because Mou could find cheaper older striker who would have no pressure on and would deliver goals when called upon.

Our team has TONS of potential to be best in the world in few years, but right now apart from Matic, there is no one who could deliver top quality every (or 9 out of 10) game (Cesc and Costa arent included because they didnt even play for us yet).

You're right, if they don't perform at the level that's expected next season we will lose the title of course. However this kind of thread is premature in that aspect, suggesting the signing of Vidal/Pogba has the same risks you said about Costa.. Having not played in the PL before properly (in case of Pogba). I think we have the right personnel in the AM roles it's just a case of Mourinho finding his best XI, there was a lot of rotation/figuring out the right system for Mou but that's excusable in his first season.

With the strikers situation, Mourinho does love having an experienced striker with him so yeah I think we may see another one come in if Ba and Torres go. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we kept hold of Ba because an older striker is rare to come by this transfer window.

You said 'few years' for our potentially world class players to prove their worth but I think Hazard and Willian aren't that far off from showing their best for us, certainly I don't think Hazard is. Matic still has everything to prove I think, he had a brilliant half-season for us but remember he was well rested with not having CL football.

Well, we can sell Eden and sign Reus and Isco. : )

I don't think anyone would turn that deal down. Reus is on another level then Eden right now and is probably the best attacking midfielder Germany has to offer. What he did in his few appearances in the bundesliga along with his awesome CL display definitely puts him in the upper echelon of attacking mids. I would seriously fear if a big time rival acquired Reus.

I don't think anyone would turn that deal down. Reus is on another level then Eden right now and is probably the best attacking midfielder Germany has to offer. What he did in his few appearances in the bundesliga along with his awesome CL display definitely puts him in the upper echelon of attacking mids. I would seriously fear if a big time rival acquired Reus.

Hazard is a complete player and very young.. I don't know if Reus is better

Want to wait until the beginning of the season before this kind of reaction.

The team is full of WC flops, so I understand people are dismissing those players. Its the same reason why people are saying everywhere that Schurle deserves more playing time next season, even if in his first season he was average at best in most of his playing time, despite his decent goal record.

To be honest its crazy to create a crisis even before the season started...

Hazard is a complete player and very young.. I don't know if Reus is better

Reus is a far more accomplished player in terms of goals/assists. He has the same tools Eden has but is a more explosive player who can score from anywhere on the pitch. Reus is without a doubt better at this current moment, but Hazard is still young which is his saving grace.

Reus is a very good player and I'm actually a fan of him but this is a case of opinion being stated as if it were a fact. There is no way you can say he is on another level from Hazard. It's bullshit. He's no Ronaldo or Messi. An Muller is Germany's best attacking midfielder and arguably best player.

This has to be a joke post, right? Another level than Hazard? I think Hazard is easily better than Reus right now and will only get better.

This has to be a joke post, right? Another level than Hazard? I think Hazard is easily better than Reus right now and will only get better.

Reus is consistent and is very well rounded. Vision, creativity, dribbling, finishing, set pieces, etc. I love Hazard, but he doesn't touch Reus. They are only a year or so apart in age.

Reus production in the bundesliga and CL speaks for itself. Hazard is far too inconsistent as of now. I don't know if your that blinded but it is easy to see that Marco is on another level. Do you even watch the Bundesliga? Reus performs better then Ribery and Robben on a consistent basis, and you want to say Hazard is on that level? We are all Chelsea fans here but stop being so blinded by your allegiance.

Reus is consistent and is very well rounded. Vision, creativity, dribbling, finishing, set pieces, etc. I love Hazard, but he doesn't touch Reus. They are only a year or so apart in age.

Reus is an excellent player. Not a chance I'd have him over Hazard.

If Hazard was sold Reus would be atop the list of direct replacements, but to say Hazard "doesn't touch" him is mind boggling to me.

I am actually not too worried about the WC flops of our players, most did not even get a proper chance and are not at fault for the dismissal of their team. It is only the fuckin WC, the frist WC for most of our players, no wonder they have not set the world on fire. In the end, club football is why we are here and why our WC players are footballers. Even if my team wins the final on Sunday I will be really happy and celebrating for a few days, but in the end a WC is only a nice way to bridge the summer pause and does not give me remotedly the thrill of seeing Chelsea play. I guess it is the same for most of our players, esp those who never reall yhad a chance to achieve much in the WC. They should be professional enough to shrug off those disappointments, you always have. Not every Chelsea player can be World Champion, no reason why they should be in crisis because of that.

Reus is an excellent player. Not a chance I'd have him over Hazard.

If Hazard was sold Reus would be atop the list of direct replacements, but to say Hazard "doesn't touch" him is mind boggling to me.

Reus won player of the year in Bundesliga over Ribery, Kroos, Robben, Lewandowski, etc. And he is consistent in the CL and Bundesliga.

What exactly does Hazard do better than Reus? Dribble? I love Hazard, but Reus is better. Far better.

Reus production in the bundesliga and CL speaks for itself. Hazard is far too inconsistent as of now. I don't know if your that blinded but it is easy to see that Marco is on another level. Do you even watch the Bundesliga? Reus performs better then Ribery and Robben on a consistent basis, and you want to say Hazard is on that level? We are all Chelsea fans here but stop being so blinded by your allegiance.

Reus 2011/2012: 21 goals 10 assists Hazard 2011/2012 : 20 goals 16 assists

Reus 2012/2013 : 17 goals 11 assists Hazard 2012/2013 : 13 goals 17 assists

Reus 2013/2014 : 23 goals 17 assists Hazard 2013/14 goals : 17 goals 10 assists

These stats are from ESPN. Now I know stats only tell half the story (for instance, Hazard last season was better than 2 seasons ago, but his assists stat 2 seasons ago are more impressive because of our more "conservative" play last season), but there is really not that much difference between the two and this is excluding the "chances created stat" which is the best indicator as to a player's creativity. Hazard FAR outstrips Reus in that department.

So as you can see, this is not "blinded" but just a response to your ill-informed post. As for Reus playing better than Ribery, who cares? Ribery was incredibly poor last season after he returned from knee injury.