Geremi

James

49e24cbb46808cab97fa4a625c7399b9.jpgAfter an impressive FIFA Confederations Cup campaign with Cameroon, Chelsea paid Real Madrid £6.9 million for him in July 2003, and he went on to have an excellent first season at Stamford Bridge. Although towards the end of his career at Chelsea, under José Mourinho, he was played less regularly and when he was played he was put in his unpreferred position of right-back. However, Geremi was held in high regard by Mourinho. During an interview, he said about Geremi, "in my team I love to have Geremi on the bench because he’s a low-profile player who is ready to help, ready to fight for the team, ready to do the job I want him to do. If I need him to play right-back, he can play right-back. If I need him to play right-winger, he can play right-winger. If I need him to pick up a man and mark him out of the game, he does it". In his final year at Chelsea, Geremi scored the winning goal in a home match against West Ham United, a free kick from range. This turned out to be his last goal in a Chelsea shirt. His final appearance for Chelsea came against Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, which went to penalties. Geremi came on as an extra-time substitute and went on to have his penalty saved by Pepe Reina, and Chelsea ultimately lost.

During his time at Chelsea they won the Premier League in both 2004-05 and 2005-06, and Geremi was eligible for a winners' medal both seasons as he made 13 and 15 appearances respectively.

After Chelsea

Geremi signed for Newcastle on 6 July 2007 on a three-year deal, making him the fourth signing of the summer by Sam Allardyce. He was appointed club captain for the 200708 season by then manager Allardyce, but lost the armband after new manager Kevin Keegan awarded the captaincy to Michael Owen on 20 January 2008.

Click here to view the record

• 3 weeks later...

Good solid squad player. Fantastic in his first season under Ranieri playing in the Centre Midfield mostly. I remember he scored an incredible volly from 30 years against Pompey. Amazing goal!

Good solid squad player. Fantastic in his first season under Ranieri playing in the Centre Midfield mostly. I remember he scored an incredible volly from 30 years against Pompey. Amazing goal!

AGREE I liked him a lot called him geronimo ,,, but usually played right side