Mehdi Benatia

Namika

I have never seen him play personally but every reporter from Italy seem to rate him as one of the best all round CB in the world. Do we need him? Depends on which way you look at it, IF Cahill and Terry both stay fit and consistent as last year then probably not but terry isn't getting any younger wont be able to play as many games as last year. If one gets injured then we have Ivanovic who is good but not the world class standard we need for Half/ full season. If JM believes we need one then I trust him 100% and we shouldn't worry to much about the money situation either we have been doing some pretty good business recently to say the least and we are well within the FFP rules

You've probably seen him play:

It's his first preseason with Roma, against us.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, best case scenario, our defence is as great as last season, no one gets injured and Iva would be enough to cover 2 CB spots. But we play a lot of games. With only three experienced CBs, we're one injury away from not having any good CBs on the bench.

IF we can get Benatia for the right price, it'd be great. But 38 million is too much.

Yes, best case scenario, our defence is as great as last season, no one gets injured and Iva would be enough to cover 2 CB spots. But we play a lot of games. With only three experienced CBs, we're one injury away from not having any good CBs on the bench.

IF we can get Benatia for the right price, it'd be great. But 38 million is too much.

1. It's hard to keep 4 senior CB's happy, we already have a problem with keeping 5 senior defenders happy: luis, azpi, iva, gary, jt. Ake, Zouma and Christensen won't complain about minutes as they will play a lot in the cups and learn a lot from the seniors.

2. We just solved our HG quota problem, if we want to add one more Non-HG we will need to sell again.

I don't know what is going on with these rumours on another defender, but Mehdia Benatia is, definitively my favourite centre back right now who isn't in the twilight of his career and isn't playing for a club I dislike. He has everything a centre back needs and more.

I use to think we are well covered at the back and didn't need to buy a top class defender then I saw Zouma in action and coupled with the realization that JT doesn't have many more years left in him and I'm not so sure anymore.

Considering he would be expensive as fuck and not homegrown so we would have to make space for him, why not simply sign a homegrown CB with some EPL experience? We only need a 4th CB with some experience who could be solid when called upon. IMO we would be far better off with an a cheap but homegrown and proven acquisition like James Tomkins, Ryan Shawcross, Onouha, Ashley Williams and even STeven Taylor. Above-average players in the best age, who know the epl inside out, are more or less in the form of their lives and would not mind sitting on the bench as 4th choice.

Recent experience has taught me, big money centrebacks are often not worth what you pay for. People in football pay extra money for players who are popular and do eye-catching things. This might be because of special skills which a CB usually does not require see Luiz or are at a high level in a particularly young age like Rio Ferd. Either way they overpay, cos you can easily get a cheap, experienced CB who never attracted to much attention and suddenly at a top club they make a big step up just as it has been the case with Dante, Sokratis or Cahill. IMO we are in a position where we can easily afford to take that gamble on a 4th choice CB.

Before Lukaku was sold, I was hoping that we would dip back in the transfer market for a centre back. Whether you rate Luiz or not, the reality is that our depth for that position is weaker now than it was last season. However if we're going to bring in another player, it makes more sense to me to prioritize signing a striker (to provide cover for Costa) over a centre back.

In an ideal world we would have kept Lukaku and brought in another top centre back to compete with Terry and Cahill.

Surely that price+ Cech would be more than enough for Varane?

If not, why not Caulker? Cardiff are relegated, he'd want to leave, he's good and homegrown. And young.

He is already in QPR

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You