Is Chelsea The Most Hated Club In Europe?

Spike

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're hated under Jose for one reason - he doesn't actually care that much about the football on the pitch. That 90 minutes between the first and the final whistle is completely incidental to him. All that matters is the result and for some that goes against the 'purity' of the sport (a sport governed by money that puts finances ahead of fans most of the time, but that's another point entirely).

It was the same under Robbie as well. When we went to Barca we didn't try and play football against them like Wenger did a few years before. We went to stop them and hit them on the counter. It doesn't make for pretty football but all that matters are the results.

Now the rub is that in time fancy football will come - It always does with Jose, but at the moment we're all about results and nothing else. That's why we're hated.

We're hated under Jose for one reason - he doesn't actually care that much about the football on the pitch. That 90 minutes between the first and the final whistle is completely incidental to him. All that matters is the result and for some that goes against the 'purity' of the sport (a sport governed by money that puts finances ahead of fans most of the time, but that's another point entirely).

It was the same under Robbie as well. When we went to Barca we didn't try and play football against them like Wenger did a few years before. We went to stop them and hit them on the counter. It doesn't make for pretty football but all that matters are the results.

Now the rub is that in time fancy football will come - It always does with Jose, but at the moment we're all about results and nothing else. That's why we're hated.

Absolutely spot-on! ;)

There's always a correlation between being hated and 'winning' things - it's a perverse mentality.

Would I rather be successful or popular - it's clear to see the obvious choice.

Also outrageous and unrealistic opinions from fans has led to contempt - Spurs are annoyed because of AvB (their fault) - Utd fans because they thought Mourinho might join them (no chance) add in the 'we bought the title, cups' comment and it's clear to see that the 'low education' people have a problem...

I'd love to see a table comparing the last 30 years of NET SPENDING with us, City, Utd, Arsenal and Loserpool...

I think it would be pretty evident we've not bought the titles and cups - but merely caught up with their spending (they spent a lot over a long period, we spent huge in a short period) - either way the money was spent and WE have a fantastic return on that investment! A lot of those clubs don't - hence the bitterness... Should we feel sympathy for the poor way in which they have been managed? Should we fuck...

Question for the older fans , have we always been hated?

I hear people saying we were quite hated due to the hooliganism, etc then I hear others saying we were everyone's second team!

Think it's a mixture. Hooliganism is a fascinating topic, and one Chelsea has a bad history with. We were definitely hated and feared cause of it. It would probably be in the mid 1990's where we became the second team of quite a lot of people, largely thanks to Zola. We were hated again cause of Ken Bates. That's what I seem to have understood from what I've read, it could be different if an older Chelsea fan would talk about it. @zolayes,

Think it's a mixture. Hooliganism is a fascinating topic, and one Chelsea has a bad history with. We were definitely hated and feared cause of it. It would probably be in the mid 1990's where we became the second team of quite a lot of people, largely thanks to Zola. We were hated again cause of Ken Bates. That's what I seem to have understood from what I've read, it could be different if an older Chelsea fan would talk about it. @zolayes,

its true we did have hooligans but most clubs did ,, many werent actually supporters merely goons who wanted an excuse to fight ,

one of the first big hooligan gang was the self styled "Red Army" Manure fans . Our bad press really did start with Ken Bates having his private war with The Daily Mail

and other newspapers .. The level of Press hatred stepped up a few levels when Roman came in and we started to challenge the "loved ones" , It went up another

few levels when we started to win . A last point about the treatment of fans ,, in the 70s fans were treated disgracefully by the police.

fans charged by mounted police ,, fans struck by police just to show they could . trains held outside stations so fans missed the start of games .

The police were savage and exacerbated the situation. Any bad fan behaviour was highlighted by the Tory Press ..

The police are a good deal better but if anything the Media are worse ...

I dispute that under Jose we systematically fail to impress.

Against Liverpool 2-1 at home, City 1-0 away, Arsenal 6-0 we played fantastic.

Against PSG they were strange games. A bad game in Paris from both and a lucky (for them) 3-1 result then in the replay we did have possession but never looked like scoring more than we did.

You can say that the rest of the opposition this year did not more or less amount to much to merit discussion (Schalke ? Petrolul ?).

Parked bus performances were against Atletico first leg and Man Utd early in the season. Sunday's match against the scousers does n't really count in that respet because we played caution.

I don't hear all of the hate really here in the United States, but that's really because the majority of my friends I talk football with are also Chelsea fans. I have a few that like United for whatever reason and there's some trash talking, but nothing realling incredibly hostile. However, I don't doubt that Chelsea are one of the most hated clubs on earth because of both success, funds, as well as the ever great trash talker Jose Mourinho.

belive it or not WE ARE the most hated and I LOVE it. I Just absolutly fuck'n love it. Wearing my Kit on every occasion... Screwing ppl. coming around with the same old and lame discussion:"you have such a rich Owner, ManU ist the Team"... "Yeah you fucker, every Team in England has a rich Chairmen, and ManU too, Glazers anyone you dickhead? Oh and what about Bayern haveing 6 super rich companys leading they're businiss and giving OK to every fuck'n transfer they do? Thats not just a hypocrisy if you say they're so independent from any rich owner?"...

Love Mous comeback, did never expect it happen until WHS told me so. I just knew he was coming back. I love this attitude us against all odds... I don't want it to change at any point.

I'm sure Chelsea is one of the most hated clubs but not sure about the most hated. Mourinho is a core reason as well as the humongous cash injection towards players and success.

I've known of plenty of Chesea fans who dislike Mourinho's attitude and tactics and some do not blame the hate from football fans towards their club due to this.

From what iv'e seen on tv and from what iv'e read online, our defensive tactics are another reason why we are so hated. This week alone i have seen A LOT of hate for Chelsea in regards to this style of play

For anybody that is interested numerous of examples of this can be be seen at the following links;
The thing that annoys me about this criticism is that when other teams play this way, it's called a "great defensive display" yet when play like this its called "parking the bus."

We're definitely up there with the most hated, but that's not a new trend, it's been like that for a decade. You might make a list of reasons why is that, but I will summarize it with jealousy of our success. Our job is not to please other fans is it?

Yes that was a bad example however

Barca-enough said

Bayern- Almost half of their first team came from their youth system or were bought as a teenager and nurtured into the first team namely lahm,Bastian,Kroos, Alaba, Badstubber.

Arsenal- (see bayern) Wilshere,Ramsey,Walcott,AOC,Gibbs, Gnabry

man utd- Fletcher,Evans,Januzaj,Wellback,Cleverly,Raphael

At this point it's not even debatable that we are pathetic when it comes to developing and nurturing youngsters into the first team. big club is no excuse for how pathetic we have been in that regard given other big clubs have more youngsters that are club trained in the first team and they actually give these kids proper chances too and not the useless 4 mins appearance in the carling cup.

So yeah the hatred is self inflicted. It's no wonder Christensen's father is already about his sons future away from the club. . . .

Barca and Bayern have always had the foundation to allow their youngsters to flow - managerial stability, one philosophy. That's the level I want us to get to but it's going to take time and stability must be maintained throughout the club.

Arsenal haven't challenged for the title in God knows how many years so again it's easy for them to nurture their young talent.

United again benefitted from managerial stability at the club. Fergie has been there for years so it was easy for him to bring through those players.

Yes we aren't great at bringing through players but surely people understand why that is? If we were under the conditions a United, Barca or Bayern have been and still failed to produce or bring through good talent then yes, I'd be blasting the club but for me it's understandable why we're in this sort of situation.

PSG have given game time to some youngsters. Real haven't had much stability yet have done a pretty decent job of implementing youth this season with Ancelotti. I don't think Ake's even made an appearance this season while last season with an INTERIM manager he played a lot more.