Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

I thought he was very solid, again having had little game time. I really was pretty astounded at how well the team played considering two big games at once, and Arsenal had all their heavy hitters. Is Jose putting something in our water, we are a f***** steamroller crushing all teams as we go. Hope we keep it up, as they say its not where you start but where you finish. :getin:

I think I owe this guy some recognition.

I'm probably one of his biggest criticizers. I used to hate seeing Ryan playing for us, especially in the attack where his lack of technique just made me want to slam my head against the wall.

But he's been proving me wrong. He's definitely way better than Arbeloa at the moment. While I don't think he's a top level FB, he's been really good and based on Cole's form currently, I'd like to see Ryan more often.

He's winning me over, that little funny lad.

Not surprised Ryan had a good game, he's always been a consistent 7 out of 10 performer who doesn't make many mistakes and on his day he can offer so much more than the soon 33-year-old Cole and he showed that yesterday. He just needs to be given more chances to shine.

When Jose sniffs the chance to pull away in the league he takes it,todays team selection is indicative of this . The aim is to pull away from City if we can get 9 points clear of City it will be ours,no Mourinho team will let that slip ,every game is as important as the next. Ashley Cole is still our best left back and we need his experience for games like Newcastle away especially . Ryan will need to get his head down and keep improving .

When Jose sniffs the chance to pull away in the league he takes it,todays team selection is indicative of this . The aim is to pull away from City if we can get 9 points clear of City it will be ours,no Mourinho team will let that slip ,every game is as important as the next. Ashley Cole is still our best left back and we need his experience for games like Newcastle away especially . Ryan will need to get his head down and keep improving .

Kindly refrain from STEALING MY SIGNATURE, change now!!! mad-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

What more does he have to do to get games? It's obvious Cole isn't the player he was and playing him every game might be a bit too much at his age. Bertrand is better going forward and not much worse defense-wise. I'm not saying Bertrand should be a nailed on starter ahead of Cole but he has shown incredible patience over the last few years and his performances have warranted more than the odd cup appearance or 45 minutes in a game where Cole is injured. He will only get better with more experience and game time.

What more does he have to do to get games? It's obvious Cole isn't the player he was and playing him every game might be a bit too much at his age. Bertrand is better going forward and not much worse defense-wise. I'm not saying Bertrand should be a nailed on starter ahead of Cole but he has shown incredible patience over the last few years and his performances have warranted more than the odd cup appearance or 45 minutes in a game where Cole is injured. He will only get better with more experience and game time.

Really? I think players have a ceiling to their talents and quality isn't contingent on game time.

What Bertrand needs to do to get games is be better than he is. He seems like a nice chap and he's English so we all want him to do well but it's not like we have Luke Shaw looking for a game. He is what he is - a back-up.

He is 24 and has made over 200 career appearances, he has got enough experience.

Ofcourse he will patient, he won't be a starter at any other club on par with us. he will get 20-30 games a season, medals around his neck playing for Mourinho, charmed life.

Really? I think players have a ceiling to their talents and quality isn't contingent on game time.

What Bertrand needs to do to get games is be better than he is. He seems like a nice chap and he's English so we all want him to do well but it's not like we have Luke Shaw looking for a game. He is what he is - a back-up.

I don't think we will be able to see how good he really is until he gets a good few games. At the moment he is getting about 10 a season at most including substitute appearances. Cole seems to be irreplaceable. He has had a few mistakes this season and last season but I just don't see him ever being dropped for Bertrand for poor form like other players might be.

Some people seem to think the gulf in class between Cole and Bertrand is a lot larger than it actually is. Like I said, he shouldn't be a starter, nor should he play more than Cole at the moment. He is a back up like you said, but surely he deserves to be a back up with a bigger role than his current one.

I don't think we will be able to see how good he really is until he gets a good few games. At the moment he is getting about 10 a season at most including substitute appearances. Cole seems to be irreplaceable. He has had a few mistakes this season and last season but I just don't see him ever being dropped for Bertrand for poor form like other players might be.

Some people seem to think the gulf in class between Cole and Bertrand is a lot larger than it actually is. Like I said, he shouldn't be a starter, nor should he play more than Cole at the moment. He is a back up like you said, but surely he deserves to be a back up with a bigger role than his current one.

38 games last season....I know, I was surprised too.

should be played, end of it.

Cole is a liability defending and nearly useless attacking, so why are we playing him?

And that's coming from someone who doesn't like Ryan, but Cole is terrible these days and he needs to be dropped ASAP!

Mourinho's been insisting with a couple of guys he shouldn't. Cole is one of them.

He is 24 and has made over 200 career appearances, he has got enough experience.

Ofcourse he will patient, he won't be a starter at any other club on par with us. he will get 20-30 games a season, medals around his neck playing for Mourinho, charmed life.

I don't think anyone can subjectively dispute that, but you can't deny either that Bertrand's performances this season have been better than all of Ash's (bar City, maybe). I'm not at all suggesting that this small sample is nearly enough to say that Ryan is better than Cole, but don't you think that it should be enough to give Ryan more chances especially that Ash is not exactly setting the world alight?