Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Agree with that, but today I felt he was a bit indecisive in the attacking third. Maybe some more match practice can get him in the flow of things.

I thought he was lacking chemistry with the teammates in front of him, especially Hazard, which is expected given that he hasn't played with them this season. But I thought his mere presence in the final third through constant forward runs gave Eden more space than he usually has when Cole plays because he rare goes forward and make that overlapping run next to him leaving him double-marked.

Looking at the stats, it was interesting to see how much he was involved in the game. He was in 3 of the top 5 passing combinations. Until he came off, he was our second best passer with 57 of 59 passes (JT had 58 of 59 till then).

Needs to play more. Right now he's way more techniquel than Ashley and offers more offensively, and when Ash isnt realy in good form overall, i think Ryan should play more especially in games like today when we're clearly the dominant side.

Agree, he is a better attacking player than Cole at this point but he really need to get better defensively before he can start playing in ucl

Bertrand is never going to be a first choice for us, or any side at the top level of football, to put it bluntly he isn't that good.

He is a good squad player and a reliable under-study to Cole and whoever our next long term left back will be, i don't see the shame in admitting that. But as Cole hasn't been great himself in recent years, if Bertrand genuinely was good enough to take over fully from Cole, he would have done it by now.

Hopefully he is the start of us using our academy for squad depth instead of buying the likes of Marin and Benayoun for the same purpose, we should have done so with Jack Cork aswell, would have been a useful player for us in a 'john o shea' role of versatile squad player.

Ryan Bertrand will get 20-30 games a year at one of the top teams, medal's round his neck, playing under Mourinho, charmed life

While it was great to see Azpi playing tonight, seeing him taking the place at LB must have probably felt like a blow to Bertrand especially after his good performance against Cardiff.

Jose said after the game that he chose Azpi to cope with the physicality of the German side which I find a bit surprising as if I I had to chose who's more fit between the two I'd probably go with Ryan.

While it was great to see Azpi playing tonight, seeing him taking the place at LB must have probably felt like a blow to Bertrand especially after his good performance against Cardiff.

Cardiff is Cardiff and our most important CL game this season against a german side is another thing. Bertrand will never be a starter for us.

Jose said after the game that he chose Azpi to cope with the physicality of the German side which I find a bit surprising as if I I had to chose who's more fit between the two I'd probably go with Ryan.

I disagree on that; If I would want a very good one on one defender, I would pick Azpilicueta over Bertrand.

At Marseille, there was a match where he kept Ribery in his pocket.

Cardiff is Cardiff and our most important CL game this season against a german side is another thing. Bertrand will never be a starter for us.

So what? People speak of Bertrand like as if he is a Conference level defender or one like Bosingwa. If we are to say whether a player should start the next game based on their performances like what Mourinho has supposedly been doing, then Bertrand certainly deserves one yesterday after the Cardiff game and he has proven himself more than good enough to play games like this last season in place of Cole.

So what? People speak of Bertrand like as if he is a Conference level defender or one like Bosingwa. If we are to say whether a player should start the next game based on their performances like what Mourinho has supposedly been doing, then Bertrand certainly deserves one yesterday after the Cardiff game and he has proven himself more than good enough to play games like this last season in place of Cole.

Hey? most think he is a good member to have around the squad but won't get further than the squad role, which is no shame, every squad needs a Ryan Bertrand in it.

Hey? most think he is a good member to have around the squad but won't get further than the squad role, which is no shame, every squad needs a Ryan Bertrand in it.

That part goes in hand with the point of the whole post. Don't quote it out of context..

It's pathetic just cause Jose doesn't play him people are now using that to say Ryan isn't a good defender. My criticism with him has always been his offensive contribution. I can't recall the last time he was found wanting in defence.<br />Azpi started out a little lost but he did very good overall but I don't see why Bertrand would have been a weakness.

I disagree on that; If I would want a very good one on one defender, I would pick Azpilicueta over Bertrand.

At Marseille, there was a match where he kept Ribery in his pocket.

I would to, but Jose said it in a manner to imply that Azpi is more physically fit. I'm not disagreeing with him because he obviously watches the training and knows best who's physically better, it's just that I would have thought it to be Ryan, not Cesar.

Getting to start a game doesnt have to do with what a player "deserves" or not. In a game of importance like this satisfying a player isnt relevant what so ever. Winning the game and implementing the tactics the manager is going for is, and by doing that he chooses the players who can do that/he thinks can do that the best.

Getting to start a game doesnt have to do with what a player "deserves" or not. In a game of importance like this satisfying a player isnt relevant what so ever.

Have I even said it's about satisfying a player here? No. I said as much as Bertrand more shown he is more than equipped last season to be playing in such games..

Winning the game and implementing the tactics the manager is going for is, and by doing that he chooses the players who can do that/he thinks can do that the best.

Not that I'm disputing that point but it's all good that playing Azpi at LB worked on Tuesday. Had the selection failed then, I wonder what would have people made of it...Guess we'll never know..

And just a side note, I wonder how many times in previous years with our other managers when they made selections like Mourinho has made this season, people used the same reason as you mentioned or the one Choulo stated above to justify their decision. I remember some getting sticks from the fans for making similar decisions even if those decisions worked out in the end...

And just a side note, I wonder how many times in previous years with our other managers when they made selections like Mourinho has made this season, people used the same reason as you mentioned or the one Choulo stated above to justify their decision. I remember some getting sticks from the fans for making similar decisions even if those decisions worked out in the end...

Hold the phone. Jay jay. I wasn't trying to justify his selection, I was telling you what Jose himself said about it after the match. I even questioned his reasoning by saying that I always thought that Ryan was the fitter between the two.

Is this what I get for trying to help you out here! :cry: