Nemanja Matic

.Cee

10 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I read somewhere yesterday that Conte said he wants to ply with 2 central midfielders. If true, then surely that means that Matic is gone because the 2 starting central midfielders will no doubt be Fabregas and Kante, likely with Mikel and RLC as back up. 

When he said 2 CM's, I think he just meant 2 in front of the back four and an attacking midfielder/extra striker in front of them. Similar to how he had RLC in the first half yesterday in front of Matic and Mikel, and later having Oscar/Traore there in the second half. I would expect Fabregas to play the role that RLC did. And plus, Fabregas is not a stranger to playing up top as well.

2 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

When he said 2 CM's, I think he just meant 2 in front of the back four and an attacking midfielder/extra striker in front of them. Similar to how he had RLC in the first half yesterday in front of Matic and Mikel, and later having Oscar/Traore there in the second half. I would expect Fabregas to play the role that RLC did. And plus, Fabregas is not a stranger to playing up top as well.

I don't think Conte will play Fabregas in an advanced position AT ALL. Unless he completely throws away both his Juve and Italy tactics, I can almost guarantee that that won't be the case. 

7 minutes ago, the wes said:

Roman Abramovich has personally contacted Nemanja Matic to request he remains with #Chelsea for at least another season. [Independent]

Shite. He stays if we want him to stay. Roman doesn't have to "request" anything. <_<

I thought Matic looked great in the first match. Got tired really quickly though. And he's pretty good on offence too, not sure why people keep saying he's shit. Think his best position is actually box-to-box instead of a holding midfielder. I think the midfield 2 is definitely going to be Matic-Kante, both are relatively dynamic, can win the ball and run with it.

I think Cesc has to be in the team so I think eventually we may end up back at a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Matic, Kante and Cesc.

Think he has to stay. He is the sort of player I would imagine Conte likes, constantly covera a high distance, tackles, intercepts etc.

Obviously last season was an indifferent season for the whole club and I feel he let Cesc down at times when they played next to each other but if we have a 3 man MF this year I think we will see Cesc and Matic back to their best. Kante gives us more balance for a 3 man midfield, which we need to play with now considering the lack of genuine talent in the #10 role, midfield was a big issue last year so hopefully we can get it right and none of this 4-2-4 carry on which would leave us hilariously outnumbered in midfield and also leaves us questioning either Fabregas/Matics' roles in the squad because Kante is here to start. 

5 hours ago, Bir_CFC said:

I thought Matic looked great in the first match. Got tired really quickly though. And he's pretty good on offence too, not sure why people keep saying he's shit. Think his best position is actually box-to-box instead of a holding midfielder. I think the midfield 2 is definitely going to be Matic-Kante, both are relatively dynamic, can win the ball and run with it.

I think Cesc has to be in the team so I think eventually we may end up back at a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Matic, Kante and Cesc.

people make it out to be a lot less dynamic than it actually is.

Fabregas would be moved up but not that much... same as what they've tried to do with Oscar, but failed for one reason or another.

Yes, on paper it is a pivot, but if a team only has 2 midfielders they'd get destroyed every time. Our best moments in the winning season were when everyone was pulling their weight - even oscar, so that opponents had no space and were allowed no time on the ball. Kante is far more technically gifted than Ramires was, so I think we are going to be a lot stronger in that area - matic staying or replaced by someone of the same caliber.

However, I am a firm believer of the weakest link in football. As an (mediocre but pacey) attacker, I used to seek out weaker players (not that hard just move to where they are) and avoid the good ones: ex guy has a poor first touch, stay close; he's slow? run past him; can't read the game? movement... and unfortunately our squad has still just too many weak links that will be found whenever we face tough opponents - so no, not contenders yet.

Juve soon start to spend that Pogba money. Matic is their target apparently. Should we sell ? I think knowing that they have 120m€ or so in the bank we shouldn't look for nothing less than 35m€ I think if we do give a go to sale.

On 18 July 2016 at 8:22 PM, Bir_CFC said:

Matic is nowhere near as dynamic as Kante because he isn't anywhere near the athlete Kante is. 

As a B2B he'd probably resemble someone like Schweinsteiger in his prime. 

6 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Matic is nowhere near as dynamic as Kante because he isn't anywhere near the athlete Kante is. 

As a B2B he'd probably resemble someone like Schweinsteiger in his prime. 

Imo little to do with athleticism.

matic is a big fella with a lot of power while kante is short and lightweight.

matic has a lot more chance to come out with the football in a dispute with yaya in tight spaces for example.

btw in highly contested finals/decisive games - in all team sports actually - power > pace.

different players that should complement each other really well.