Nemanja Matic

.Cee

3 hours ago, Stats said:

Can see both sides of the argument. Azpi does not play enough on the right for us to see his true attacking qualities however I do agree with Henrique and Gilvorak in the sense that Azpi seems to get way too overrated by our fans. Because he does not get forward as much, he is less likely to get exposed defensively. I agree he is consistent in the fact that he does not make mistakes often but does he produce enough offensively and defensively consistently? Not sure and I would not agree with people saying he is one of our best players.

I don't see how Azpi is overrated by the fans to be honest. A full back's job, first and foremost, is to defend and Azpi does that extremely well. Rarely you see him get beaten in 1-v-1 situations, get caught out of position etc. He always does his job in unassuming fashion and the fact that most of the goals we conceded come from our right side and oppositions targeting our right side is a testament to his defensive work at left back (and this when he's playing behind the supposedly not-so-hard-working Hazard). And to judge his offensive qualities when he's playing at left back and doesn't get much chance to attack isn't very fair.

4 hours ago, Stats said:

for instance if I had the choice I would have Bertrand over him all day. I still can't comprehend why Bertrand is not LB for us. Not just Bertrand but as soon as Luis was here, he should have been our no.1 LB imo even though Azpi had performed good there. I would have rather him compete with Ivanovic for the RB spot.

That goes without saying, doesn't it? Most - if not all - of us would have preferred to see a left back playing in the left back position and Azpi playing in the right back spot.

It's quite ironic that some people think Azpilicueta (one of the best defenders) should be dropped because of his forward play not being great, yet it's scoffed at any time someone brings up the defensive game for a winger/AM.

"There an attacking player, why should it matter how well they did defending" was a favroite during Matas final days here, so shouldn't Azpi get the same treatment the other way round?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

People say Bale is better than Hazard. The former went and scored a hat-trick.

People say Azpi is poor offensively. He went and provided the assist for Loftus-Cheek.

:lol:

Bet Eden can't score a hat-trick against West Brom :ph34r:

Azpi's lack of offensive contribution was really more down to Jose's instructions I feel. He made several overlapping runs v Scunthorpe, provided an assist and whenever he could offer an overlap he tried to. As well in the other games, hes looked more and more willing to get forward under GH. 

I'm pissed. Anyone who believe Matic is world class should watch his display after he was introduced. DM is a key position in football, and is easily a position that can turn a team into a mess depending of the player's performance. 

Fabregas was playing a good match, readin the game well, starting counter attacks. Matic was lost. When the team was under pressure he was just inside the box, marking no one. The 2nd goal was his fault. That is rash, but he must be sold in the summer to get as much money as possible and leave space for decent DM.

44 minutes ago, Stats said:

Go to the Oscar thread and say the same please.

Oscar wasn't the reason we dropped points today. Only one man was and you know it.

You can't scapegoat Mikel or Cesc for his performances anymore so of course you try to deflect. Don't bring Oscar into this, Matic can't keep getting away without criticism. Keep the Oscar bashing in his own thread.

50 minutes ago, Henrique said:

I'm pissed. Anyone who believe Matic is world class should watch his display after he was introduced. DM is a key position in football, and is easily a position that can turn a team into a mess depending of the player's performance. 

Fabregas was playing a good match, readin the game well, starting counter attacks. Matic was lost. When the team was under pressure he was just inside the box, marking no one. The 2nd goal was his fault. That is rash, but he must be sold in the summer to get as much money as possible and leave space for decent DM.

Some of our deluded fans think he's as good as Busquets. The worst DM at the club since Geremi. I cannot believe Hiddink took Cesc off instead of Oscar for RLC/Ramires.

25 minutes ago, Gilvorak said:

Oscar wasn't the reason we dropped points today. Only one man was and you know it.

You can't scapegoat Mikel or Cesc for his performances anymore so of course you try to deflect. Don't bring Oscar into this, Matic can't keep getting away without criticism. Keep the Oscar bashing in his own thread.

Yeah but like Hazard, Matic is having a below-par season. Going forward, would I want Matic? Definitely. I have een enough quality from him to know that he will be a big part of this team in the future when we have a settled manager and better team.

13 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

Some of our deluded fans think he's as good as Busquets. The worst DM at the club since Geremi. I cannot believe Hiddink took Cesc off instead of Oscar for RLC/Ramires.

WOW. Way OTT reaction. I can't wait for us to make changes this summer. I really hope he proves you wrong. I still think FWIW, Matic is much better than Mikel. Mikel may have more tactical discipline but I remain on form, I will not take any DM in the league over Matic and probably Europe too. He will come back to his best, believe me.