Nemanja Matic

.Cee

5 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

Hopefully he's sold. He could never deliver the sort of performance Mikel did today. Doesn't have the intelligence or technique JOB has.

Wonder if you share the same sentiment towards the golden child, Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior. 

4 minutes ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Wonder if you share the same sentiment towards the golden child, Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior. 

Or perhaps it's Oscar dos Santos Emenalo Júnior :Goober:

9 minutes ago, Hybrid Angel said:

I don't get the fuss around the whole 'Matic vs Mikel' debate. Both have different qualities and will be used in different types of games.

But I think that fact alone is quite alarming wouldn't you say? At the peak of Matic's time in 2013-14 he was a rock in the midfield and the fact he was settled there doing an adequate job was vital. You want your defensive midfield settled. We had a time where Makelele made that his own position and then Essien did the same. Since Essien we've been juggling with Mikel, Romeu, Van Ginkle and now Matic. You can see how that's working to our detriment. The best two team in the world Bayern & Barca have these positions filled with settled players and you can see them reaping the rewards.

17 minutes ago, Hybrid Angel said:

I don't get the fuss around the whole 'Matic vs Mikel' debate. Both have different qualities and will be used in different types of games.

There is no such debate as the transfer market puts them in completely different tiers. Same with Oscar, but apparently juve is a small club around here. :)

Mikel was good today - playing against week opposition but away from home. He was under no pressure when in possession, and kept playing deep in uncontested areas. He did defend well for change though.

If mikel were able to do more, over the many years he's been at the club, and against better opposition, Matic wouldn't even be on the squad!

what Matic does on the pitch is far more difficult than what Mikel does. That's why Matic is priced in the 25m+ range and Mikel 10m-. (The difference may actually be much greater)

9 hours ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

I've given up on Gilvorak when he claimed Muller wouldn't play in any other top side in europe, so i don't know why are we still arguing about Matic with him.

What the fuck are you talking about? Muller wouldn't start for Madrid or Barca. Get over it.

And yes he wouldn't start for Bayern either if Ribery wasn't a crock.

2 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

The good days for JOBI won't last.

you can find reality tomorrow.

but we can't sell Mikel<_<

In a month's time , he won't be playing , and everyone will be hailing ramires for a good performance, then swap around

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Matic and Mikel... both are different players, one is really an 8 and the other is a 6 in terms of positions. 

Mikel probably should have remained a non-DM in his career. He doesn't run a midfield like a top player from deep and never has consistently because the opposition often knows him too well and Mikel doesn't adapt to the pressures.

On 3/14/2014 at 4:36 AM, Henrique said:

???

What are you talking about?

Well, it seems I'm alone here. Don't get me wrong here, but I do believe that Mikel years affected many people. I think Matic is a good player, but not as good as some people here make him look. I usually find here things like "Matic is having a godlike performance" after a decent match, now some people believe we are hopeless when he doesn't play, and if we win the title its "quite largely down to Matic", he is "Jesus"...

After reading those comments after he joined, I wont be surprised if he gets the Player of The Year, or if he manage to win the Fifa Ballo D'or at the end of the year.

My theory is that fans usually fell in love with new players that came to fit a weak link, and as a result they end up thinking those players are better than they really are, because the standards are low. Just take Juan Mata as an example. During his first season, 11/12, he was really inconsistent, as the rest of Villas Boas team, but many people thought he was really great. I remember '12 Fa Cup final, when Mata barely touched the ball, but bizarrely was named the man of the match...well, he arrived when the team was getting really old and lacked creativity, so its not difficult to know the reason why some people thought he was superb.

For many years we had Mikel as our DM, just remember that after some games, we had many people saying Romeu was the new Makelele. Matic had one GREAT game, and thats was against City, after that he never came close to reproduce the same kind of performance, but for now I will stay quite, time (results) will change some people's mind (including mine).

On 4/12/2014 at 5:32 PM, Henrique said:

Game after game Matic is proving to be the most overrated player ever. Today he was ineffective for the whole match (this is not his kind of game) but one nice pass that resulted in a goal was enough to people see him as man of the match and god-like midfielder.

To be fair with Matic, its not his fault. He is a good midfielder, no doubt the best option we have for that position, but he is just a normal player. To think we would be favorites to win the UCL if we had Matic is just insanity. Weeks ago I read that if we win the league, it was because of Matic (despite the fact that the serbian only had started only 6 games in that moment).

On 4/12/2014 at 8:23 PM, MrExcalibur100 said:

Henrique hates our best players. Even Hazard came in for similar treatment, just ignore him. Saying Matic is a one dimensional DM when he's probably the most multi-dimensional DM in football today alongside Busquets shows how utterly and completely clueless you are.

Matic in Benfica lead Europe's DM's in "Key passes" for two years and already has a bunch of key passes and even assists for us since he joined. It's a huge bonus for us that our holding midfielder is also a creator as well Anyone with eyes can see his deep-lying playmaking skills and passing range are superb.

But you love the attention don't you? That's why you always come up with this stuff.

Well, I remember when Matic joined. The amount of crazy things in this forum was huge. Matic was being voted MOTM game after game in "match" topic, and many people were saying if Matic was UCL eligible we would be favorites to win the tournament. I think that was the same period where people were saying Cahill was a world class defender. Matic has always been a limited DM and one dimensional player. There were many posts showing 6 minutes of his display against Arsenal (most of the time making short passes), or posts and analysis where he was pictured as perhaps the best midfielder in the world.

Perhaps that was the new player effect, and because he had an amazing performance in his debut, against City. Lets be honest, Matic never reproduced the same performance. Against United days ago he was pretty good, but the way he missed that goal speaks loud about his limitations. I will never understand why people evaluate some players after 2, 3 or 6 matches.

Matic is a good player, but in my opinion he lacks the dynamism of a modern DM. Perhaps he is the perfect DM if your team will play in a 4-2-3-1 and will adopt a more conservative approach, but he just lacks something when the team must score goals and his slow football make the team vulnerable to fast counter attacks.

At the moment even Mikel looks a better player, and in my opinion this team really need another DM. While Matic is still a useful player, he is not the kind of player that should be essential for a team. The fact he became almost essential for this side, only show how limited this squad really is.

I really get angry when I remember that almost 2 years I was saying those things about Matic while some people were saying I just wanted attention, because Matic was "the most multi-dimensional DM in football today" when he was not even close of being as good as past DM, as Makelele and Essien.

3 hours ago, Henrique said:

Well, I remember when Matic joined. The amount of crazy things in this forum was huge. Matic was being voted MOTM game after game in "match" topic, and many people were saying if Matic was UCL eligible we would be favorites to win the tournament. I think that was the same period where people were saying Cahill was a world class defender. Matic has always been a limited DM and one dimensional player. There were many posts showing 6 minutes of his display against Arsenal (most of the time making short passes), or posts and analysis where he was pictured as perhaps the best midfielder in the world.

Perhaps that was the new player effect, and because he had an amazing performance in his debut, against City. Lets be honest, Matic never reproduced the same performance. Against United days ago he was pretty good, but the way he missed that goal speaks loud about his limitations. I will never understand why people evaluate some players after 2, 3 or 6 matches.

Matic is a good player, but in my opinion he lacks the dynamism of a modern DM. Perhaps he is the perfect DM if your team will play in a 4-2-3-1 and will adopt a more conservative approach, but he just lacks something when the team must score goals and his slow football make the team vulnerable to fast counter attacks.

At the moment even Mikel looks a better player, and in my opinion this team really need another DM. While Matic is still a useful player, he is not the kind of player that should be essential for a team. The fact he became almost essential for this side, only show how limited this squad really is.

I really get angry when I remember that almost 2 years I was saying those things about Matic while some people were saying I just wanted attention, because Matic was "the most multi-dimensional DM in football today" when he was not even close of being as good as past DM, as Makelele and Essien.

Are you discussing Matic or the forum perception of Matic? What does it have to do with him being considered one of the key players in our title winning season? One single great performance? Please go back and check his scores - he had several MOTM performances.

When you compare Makele with Matic you lose me - they couldn't be any more different. Even Mikel, who can still be quite different, at least sits back, while Matic roams. Makele was a great destroyer, but also one of the most technically limited player I've seen in my life and would not like him in the team. The game has moved on.

I honestly don't even see Matic as a DM. He's more like a DLP or CM which is what the modern game demands. Posts like this honestly surprise me because you complain about his characteristics as a player, while that is exactly what we bought! It's akin to buying Diego Costa and complaining why he is NOT scoring from headers.

I am waiting for you to manage to put Mikel and Dynamism in the same sentence... :P

1 hour ago, Robguima said:

Are you discussing Matic or the forum perception of Matic? What does it have to do with him being considered one of the key players in our title winning season? One single great performance? Please go back and check his scores - he had several MOTM performances.

When you compare Makele with Matic you lose me - they couldn't be any more different. Even Mikel, who can still be quite different, at least sits back, while Matic roams. Makele was a great destroyer, but also one of the most technically limited player I've seen in my life and would not like him in the team. The game has moved on.

I honestly don't even see Matic as a DM. He's more like a DLP or CM which is what the modern game demands. Posts like this honestly surprise me because you complain about his characteristics as a player, while that is exactly what we bought! It's akin to buying Diego Costa and complaining why he is NOT scoring from headers.

I am waiting for you to manage to put Mikel and Dynamism in the same sentence... :P

1- Those posts are not from last season, but from like 2 months after he joined or 6 matches played. No one is discussing he being key player last season (the likes of Fabregas, Azpilicueta and Ivanovic were also key players last season).

2- Makelele and Matic are different players, but in my books thats a very weak argument, that doesn't make any sense. The fact two players are different, doesn't mean you can compare both in terms of quality. Its like saying you can't compare Neymar and Oscar because both are different players. 

3- I'm not discussing Matic as a CM, since he barely played as a CM for Chelsea, and as a Chelsea player he is beyond doubt a DM, but I really doubt he would be a good CM, unless for a South American team, where usually the CM are no more than a 2nd DM.

4- I'm discussing the perception that some fans had of this team in the best. Many players where overrated not only by some fans, but also by local press. Matic is beyond doubt a useful player, but far from a world class player. What is happening this season is a result of being way too happy with a squad that had the likes of Oscar, Azpilicueta, Matic, Cahill and Ivanovic in the starting line-up, if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Henrique said:

1- Those posts are not from last season, but from like 2 months after he joined or 6 matches played. No one is discussing he being key player last season (the likes of Fabregas, Azpilicueta and Ivanovic were also key players last season).

2- Makelele and Matic are different players, but in my books thats a very weak argument, that doesn't make any sense. The fact two players are different, doesn't mean you can compare both in terms of quality. Its like saying you can't compare Neymar and Oscar because both are different players. 

3- I'm not discussing Matic as a CM, since he barely played as a CM for Chelsea, and as a Chelsea player he is beyond doubt a DM, but I really doubt he would be a good CM, unless for a South American team, where usually the CM are no more than a 2nd DM.

4- I'm discussing the perception that some fans had of this team in the best. Many players where overrated not only by some fans, but also by local press. Matic is beyond doubt a useful player, but far from a world class player. What is happening this season is a result of being way too happy with a squad that had the likes of Oscar, Azpilicueta, Matic, Cahill and Ivanovic in the starting line-up, if you ask me.

Why are you throwing Azpi name next to Iva, Cesc etc? He is great fullback on defensive side and certainly a quality one.

5 hours ago, Henrique said:

1. Distinctly remember Matic and Luiz in midfield giving us the best record against the top sides ... ever? MOTM was a toss between him and Luiz... short memories around here.

2. Yes, you can compare players with different characteristics, but then you'd be comparing types not quality. Unless you value certain abilities, which would favor matic as what he does is quantifiable more valuable to sides than a pure defensive DM. Neymar can't play alone so he needs someone like Oscar next to him.

3. Disagree again here. That's just his label in the lineup. Sometimes he's the DM and sometimes he is a CM. He's definitely a CM when playing alongside Mikel for example. And more of a CM when next to Ramires. More a DM with Fabregas. Even Mikel isn't your typical DM type.

4. He played at a very high level since he joined us and was very consistent too. In my book he deserved every bit of praise he got; just as he deserves the criticism now along with most of the players.

2 hours ago, Henrique said:

Mahrez disagrees.

In those 1-v-1 situation INSIDE the penalty box, it can always be tricky to defend against players like Mahrez. Maybe the question should be why no one else came to help him - Terry, Pedro?

And how does one mistake like that mean Azpi isn't good?