Chelsea report loss of £49.4m for the financial year

Toli

Think you're panicking unduly. The club is positioned quite nicely in real terms, and that Telegraph article is amazingly simplistic. Commercial revenues are up, tv money is about to increase dramatically and we have a lot of young assets who are growing in value.

in addition to that the new Adidas contract didn't show in this year's numbers, that alone is £300 for 10 years and they to have pay at least £30 now (supposing they pay by year, which I'm not that sure they do - as some sponsors especially for kits prefer to pay 3-5 years worth of contract at once). They also mentioned a deal with Audi, so I think we're way positioned to comply their demands.

What bugs me is how City that had a loss of £98 spend another £90 and UEFA does nothing. So some teams comply, others don't, and there are no repercussions? I'd love to see RM's numbers...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in addition to that the new Adidas contract didn't show in this year's numbers, that alone is £300 for 10 years and they have pay at least £30 now (supposing they pay by year, which I'm not that sure they do). They also mentioned a deal with Audi, so I think we're way positioned to comply their demands.

What bugs me is how City that had a loss of £97 spend another £90 and UEFA does nothing. So some teams comply, others don't, and there are no repercussions? I'd love to see RM's numbers...

Yeah i also wondered about City. I don't see how they'll be able to comply with the FFP rules.

I think Madrid will be able to comply with the FFP. They spend a lot of money but the amount of money they make is just crazy.

Yeah i also wondered about City. I don't see how they'll be able to comply with the FFP rules.

City owner also own their sponsor, Ettihad Airlines. He can just rewrite the sponsorship deal when they need to spend more money. That's how.

Obviously it's not that simple, but the point is, there are many loopholes in the FFP rules that can be exploited.

A few deeper readings into the matter:

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/1/9/5293028/chelseas-wage-bill-climbs-to-176-6m

Surprised to see our wage bill actually go up (176.6m per year now) despite us getting rid of some of the higher earners in the team. However:

:fainthv9:

Obviously, we'd still need to replace them, but we can still end up saving a lot especially if you consider that Eto'o replacement will most likely be Lukaku.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/1/8/5276182/chelsea-player-wage-database-salaries-january-transfer-window#comment_tease

This is a very important point about wage exemptions and why those screaming "Just pay 60m for this player or 80m for that" are very far from reality:

Also, how in the world is Oscar on 40K/wk only?! Someone give this man a contract renegotiation ASAP!

A more detailed explanation about FFP rules Annex 11 relief and why we could not use it, not that we needed it in the end: http://www.danielgeey.com/uefa-ffp-and-chelseas-12-13-accounts/

I take the WAGNH article with a pinch of salt considering there are a lot of assumptions like Hazard being on £185k a week which is absolute rubbish, or the average CFC employee being on £35k a week, and the fact that a lot of our new sponsorships and deals haven't been included.

I take the WAGNH article with a pinch of salt considering there are a lot of assumptions like Hazard being on £185k a week which is absolute rubbish, or the average CFC employee being on £35k a week, and the fact that a lot of our new sponsorships and deals haven't been included.

Yeah, but the overall sum of all the wages is verified (176.6m). Of course there are assumptions as no one knows the exact values except for the club, but I'd say that WAGNH would be the closest because they are the only ones who follow the financial issues of the club this closely.

And how can so many people tell that Hazard is not on 185K? :blink: This not aimed at you Skip because I've seen A LOT of people being adamant about it. I mean I find it unlikely but unless you know him personally or have the exact number from the club how can you be so sure that it's not true?

And how can so many people tell that Hazard is not on 185K? :blink: This not aimed at you Skip because I've seen A LOT of people being adamant about it. I mean I find it unlikely but unless you know him personally or have the exact number from the club how can you be so sure that it's not true?

Yeah Eden told me the other day :P. On a serious note though... Because of the whole Hazard transfer saga. After the transfer was concluded British media tried to make it look like Eden moved to us because we offered more money in terms of wages when that wasn't the truth - during the saga it was widely reported that us and United and City all offered him similar wages, and during that time a lot reliable Belgian and French media both reported the figure to be around 110-120k (can't remember the exact number but it was around that).

Of course when Hazard chose us the wages suddenly increased to £185k. French and Belgian media still reported the same number as mentioned before but some British papers decided to go with the 'Hazard got his head turned by money' story, especially the DM, which is where WAGNH got their number from.

The above is exactly why many don't believe the figure.

Yeah, but the overall sum of all the wages is verified (176.6m). Of course there are assumptions as no one knows the exact values except for the club, but I'd say that WAGNH would be the closest because they are the only ones who follow the financial issues of the club this closely.

What Skipper said. Also I remember clearly that the English media actually went a bit further and were spitting out numbers like 200k or even 250k and then wrote and entire article on how he was going to be the top earner of the PL.

Just so it could fit with the image of Hazard being a mercenary and only choosing Chelsea because of money.

Yeah Eden told me the other day :P. On a serious note though... Because of the whole Hazard transfer saga. After the transfer was concluded British media tried to make it look like Eden moved to us because we offered more money in terms of wages when that wasn't the truth - during the saga it was widely reported that us and United and City all offered him similar wages, and during that time a lot reliable Belgian and French media both reported the figure to be around 110-120k (can't remember the exact number but it was around that).

Of course when Hazard chose us the wages suddenly increased to £185k. French and Belgian media still reported the same number as mentioned before but some British papers decided to go with the 'Hazard got his head turned by money' story, especially the DM, which is where WAGNH got their number from.

The above is exactly why many don't believe the figure.

What Skipper said. Also I remember clearly that the English media actually went a bit further and were spitting out numbers like 200k or even 250k and then wrote and entire article on how he was going to be the top earner of the PL.

Just so it could fit with the image of Hazard being a mercenary and only choosing Chelsea because of money.

Tbh, I didn't follow the Hazard transfer too closely because it was one of those that dragged on forever and got about 300 pages before he even signed so I generally stayed out of the topic. Like I sad, I too find it unlikely, but I still don't think that you can completely rule it out because he was the most sought after player in the market at the time and we could have offered a huge contract to rule him here. Nothing wrong with that, imo.

According to some reliable belgian newspapers eden is earning 140k/ week , thats nowhere near that 185k pounds people are saying and by my knowledge he didnt sign a new contract since arriving here.

Kompany is the best earning belgian in the epl with 155k/week

i read in an article that FFP allows a club to have a loss of 37.5mil pounds over the 2 seasons of 2011-12 and 2012-13 but as well as 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14.

with us losing 49.4mil last season and a profit of 1.4mil in the CL winning season, it takes our total to -48mil pounds. subtracting about 15mil from that which was spent on academy, its still -33mil and we have a leeway of only -4mil odd this season.

compared to last season where we spent about 63.5mil pounds, this year we have so far spent 56 mil pounds (willian+etoo, mvg, schurlle). but add to that the transfer deal of atsu, cuevas, matic and minus the deal of kdb, we almost get the same figure as the last year.

the CL money and the PL money, coupled with the kit deal and the new TV rights would probably bring the number down from 49mil but not sure if its good enough to have us break even.

i read in an article that FFP allows a club to have a loss of 37.5mil pounds over the 2 seasons of 2011-12 and 2012-13 but as well as 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14.

with us losing 49.4mil last season and a profit of 1.4mil in the CL winning season, it takes our total to -48mil pounds. subtracting about 15mil from that which was spent on academy, its still -33mil and we have a leeway of only -4mil odd this season.

compared to last season where we spent about 63.5mil pounds, this year we have so far spent 56 mil pounds (willian+etoo, mvg, schurlle). but add to that the transfer deal of atsu, cuevas, matic and minus the deal of kdb, we almost get the same figure as the last year.

the CL money and the PL money, coupled with the kit deal and the new TV rights would probably bring the number down from 49mil but not sure if its good enough to have us break even.

Probably not breaking even but there are a lot of things that wasn't included in that report. If we spend wisely this January and in the summer the number will definitely improve - the new sponsorship deals, the new TV rights deal, hopefully some decent CL money if we reach like the quarter finals or semis and PL money...

We're fine. Don't forget we also have a huge asset in Mata (probably around £30m in itself) as well in the summer.

Probably not breaking even but there are a lot of things that wasn't included in that report. If we spend wisely this January and in the summer the number will definitely improve - the new sponsorship deals, the new TV rights deal, hopefully some decent CL money if we reach like the quarter finals or semis and PL money...

We're fine. Don't forget we also have a huge asset in Mata (probably around £30m in itself) as well in the summer.

And we could sell Lukaku, Moses, Marin for 15-20 million pounds.

Courtois could be sold for a good amount of money or our new keeper wich would be a bargain.

Traore will a be a good player for us that we bought for peanuts.

Without forgetting all the good young players that maybe not good enough for us but still be sold for decent money.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3623841/title/chelsea-signs-with-coral

another sponsorship and seeing how betting is big in Europe, especially England, it must yet another profitable one.

We're just fine financially...

let´s Coral, then. what´s your scoop on the weekend game ?

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/1/24/5335580/juan-mata-transfer-manchester-united-chelsea-finances

Selling Mata and De Bruyne gave the club a profit of around £34m for the ongoing financial year. Their replacements Matic and Salah did cost a large amount of money but their fees will be amortised for the next five and a half years so no matter what the January window will still end up as a huge financial success for the club. Also, with both the new broadcasting deal and the upgraded adidas contract kicking in this year (£35m extra according to WAGNH) the club should be in a very good position to comply with the FFP rules, might even post a healthy profit this year depending on how well we do in various competitions.