• Ramires
    • Schurrle
    • Hazard
    • Mata
    • Torres
    • Oscar (sub)
    • Willian (sub)
    • Essien (sub)

I actually thought Mata played well, and his frustration when he got subbed off was understandable, but the thing, is, he played well individually, Oscar-Hazard-Willian works as a trio, big time.

I said before the game, that we needed to take advantage of the superior depth we have to Southampton in the Christmas period, this was the best time to visit St Mary's, but we still needed to get the job done, and we did and to be honest i was 99% sure we were going to win.

Mourinho again shown why he is in the top bracket in world football manager's, proactive thinking to get the subs on, was Southampton's Shaw for Clyne a tactical sub or did Shaw get injured? Because having right footed left back up against Mata would have neutralized his threat a bit. Maybe that's what made Mou make those subs so soon? Rafa would have kept it the way it is and brought Kalas on for Azpi on 72 minutes.

Speaking of Kalas, good to see him in the 18 atleast, hopefully he will get a start at Derby.

All in all, perfect result and almost perfect performance, the team have responded great since Sunderland, and this is a big month with Everton and United to play then Ethiad early February, if we can still be in touch then, we have a great chance of the title.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome result. should have won the match in the first half itself. too many missed oppurtunities. but we have atlast got our best team and combination of AMs at exactly the half way point. hazard-oscar-willian ROCK!!!the balance that these 3 bring to the team is AMAZING!!! cahill in the past 2-3 weeks (after the sunderland game) has been a new player. ramires bossed the mid and was given good support by mikel, torres made some brilliant runs with ball in the first half but somehow scored thru sheer luck. thats what luck can do. mata was FOOLISHLY played on the wing despite having 2 wingers on the pitch. something is definitely not right between mata and jose,

cech - atlast a match where he got to earn hi living, southamtpton had some decent oppurtunities and cech made some decent saves. his handling of crosses was good too, 7/10

azpi - was fabulous. that block off lallana was just brilliant. would have been a big blow to us if he had went off injured. everything that is required off a RB is provided better by him than iva. the only problem is that we simply dont have an outlet from goalkicks without iva. 8/10

GC- another brilliant performance. he has been a revelation. simply amazing. his reading off the game has somehow improved or he has jut gained some confidence. hope this contunues. 9/10

JT - another solid performance. 8/10

cole - good performance. thi back 4 is definitely our best. cole's prowess on the ball is awesme too.brilliant block off lallana. 8/10

bodies on the line stuff from our back 4.

mikel - good shield. another "did his job performance". the best moment was when he held the ball even when surrounded by 3/4 soton player. 7/10

ramires - another like a boss performance!!! totally bossed the mid. should have scored atleast one. 9/10

mata - very poor performance. dint understand why he dint play as a CAM.the only time he was in the center, his 1-2-1 with hazard was amazing. 5/10

schurrle - uninfluential. and why did he take corner and freekicks which were hopelessly poor. 5/10

hazard - awesome. livewire. what a form he is in!!! hope this continues for ever and ever!!! 9/10

torres- brilliant runs, hold up play, link up play but he gets a goal thru sheer luck. thats football.he needs to make his fabulous runs count 7/10

subs -

oscar - game changer. pathetic decision to card him. flawless performance. simply took the game away from the soton. 10/10

willian - another dynamic performance. brilliantly taken goal to ettle the nerves. good perfrmance. 8/10

essien - meh!!! when is he leaving???

jose - as much as i adore him and love him, his decision to play mata on the wing while playing hazard in the center that too against shaw and lallana was PATHETIC and smacked off desperation and his probably dislike for mata.

he did change the match with his subs but it was his formations and player management that made us go in that position. 6/10

Just got back from the game, floods all over the place.

I thought we had a bright first 15mins in the first half, then Southampton pressed in midfield and we kept on getting the ball stuck in the centre of the pitch. Encouraging signs defensively though, just like Jose's first spell if we are threatened people are putting their bodies in the way with blocks, tackles etc. Long may that continue.

The subs definitely changed the game, they provided width with an end product. What I mean is Schurrle provided width but with no positive outcome for us when he did get it. As soon as the subs came on there was a decernable end product, either an assist or a decent cross/cut back. Both Willian and Oscar stretched, committed and beat their markers/full backs. While one stayed wide the other came in towards the centre. Great second half and the second half of the half was particularly impressive. Energy and concentration was excellent, particularly considering the 4 games in 9 days we've played.

Jose gave Michael Essien the last 10mins, nice touch and Essien gave, what I took to be a final farewell wave after the final whistle. If this was his last game farewell to 'The Bison', one of the most powerful players I've seen.

Nice little song sang to the home fans as they were streaming out in their droves with 5-10 minutes to go - "oh when the saints, go marching out, oh when the saints go marching out....................."

I think it is critical that we get rid of Mata before he becomes a cancer to the team. Did anyone pay attention to his attitude on the bench? He was pouting and trying to bring the team spirit down. Maybe we can transfer him to the MLS and make a bid for Michael Bradley.

MOTM for me: Oscar... two assists, one goal. In a nutshell: decisive and class. It's just pity he dives when it was 0-0... :clown:

In another register, I'm very impressed by the performance of hazard. During the third goal, we can see his defensive and offensive contributions. He began as a defender and finished by an assist for Oscar (All after 80 minutes)

With Mourinho, he becomes a complete player!! It's very positive for the future B)

(Sorry for my poor english guys)

Let's not get to ahead of ourselves about the Oscar dive, it was a dive and no worse than what you see from nigh on every PL game or any other country for that matter. More is made because it's us and Jose and the fact we won and they want to blacken the result with this one isolated incident.

I have another story to tell, we deserved this three points, we battered them second half and Southampton had no reply.

Maybe he should've..but he wasnt.Didnt result in a penalty or anything that changed the score.Stupid moment to dive at but least didnt cost us and Jose didnt just shrug it off

.Ref didnt buy it at least whereas Ashley Young goes swimming a lot

Although Southampton haven't been in form, this was an impressive 3-0 win nonetheless and thank gawd we got the win in the end after squandering countless of chances (again!) in the first half. Gotta also credit the defence for the win after producing some heroic blocks against these lots and heck, Efan Ekoku even said we are one of the best teams in the Premier League history in throwing our bodies in the away and blocking shots (he cited early 90s Arsenal as the other team great at doing this).