Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Adkins full of praise for Cork

Nigel Adkins has hailed Chelsea midfielder Jack Cork as "a revelation" after a successful season at Scunthorpe.

The 18-year-old, who joined Scunthorpe on a season-long loan in August, is expected to make the shortlist for player of the year at Glanford Park after a string of impressive displays in the heart of the Iron midfield.

Adkins told the Scunthorpe Telegraph: "Jack was not in the team to start off with because he was not ready, he was not physically developed enough.

"I think it helped him training with us full-time, to get him used to being with the squad and feeling part of it.

"He showed a great professionalism about himself and then he got himself into the team at Colchester - and he's stayed in and been a revelation for us."

The England Under-19s international is due back at Stamford Bridge in the summer, but has admitted he is unsure where his future lies.

It certainly is great to get these glowing reviews on our loan players and this is exactly the sort of thing we want to be seeing if we want the players to make it with our first team. I have no idea if Jack has been playing in a midfield 2 or a midfield 3 but he is essentially a holding player.

Jack has always looked good and now i guess they will decide if they want to bring him into the first team for next season, but i would think the more likely outcome will be a test at a bigger club to see if he can get into their team on a weekly basis.

There are a few premiership clubs sniffing around him which shows how highly he is viewed.