Club vs Country - what do you choose?

Tomo

As their are member's from multiple countries, i would be interested in getting perspective from around the globe about this issue.

I was having this debate with two of my mates during the England match (one of them a fellow Chelsea supporter) and one asked me Champions League with Chelsea or World Cup with England? and i without hesitation said the former, both looked at me with disgust, wondering how i can say that, and my answer was simple.

Chelsea is the club i support, the club that 'choose me' so to speak, i spend the days/weeks before Chelsea game's mulling and fretting about the games, i didn't give England's do or die qualifayer that much of a thought, sort of a what will be will be. I follow England in the same way i do Exeter (the closest professional club to where i live), that i would follow the games and rather they win than lose, but won't lose much sleep either way. I enjoyed seeing Exeter flying high in league one and threatening promotion to the Championship, but im not losing any sleep on them being back in League Two.

I never have, nor will get emotionally involved in either like i do Chelsea, ofcourse i would love England to win the World Cup or Exeter to get as high as possible, but Chelsea is the club i go through dodgy steam after dodgy stream to watch, save for months to go to SB, and mull for days on end when we lose. When England lose im a bit disappointed but within half an hour my full attention is back on Chelsea and their next game. That would never, ever happen the other way round.

When i watch England or Exeter im like Rafa motionless and happy inside when they score but never really show it, when i watch Chelsea im a raving lunatic in the AVB mould. Supporting England feels like a job that im obliged to do, supporting Chelsea feels like a passion that i WANT to do. I just can't get even a flicker of the passion watching England than i do Chelsea, ive even tried but it just doesn't happen.

What's every one else views on club vs country?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7am during the weekday in NYC.

3am during a weekday in Los angeles

Now you can imagine what the streets of Korea looked like than...

Supporting Korea is my greatest football period ever.... Koreans, have a high degree of national pride, even when Yuna Kim won gold medal for ice skating or Park Tae Hwan won silvers for swimming it was a huge deal for Korea...

I love my club! I love my country (despite our poor side). The joy of T&T reaching the World Cup again definitely succeed Chelsea winning the CL.

That day in 2006 when we qualified for the WC was one of my greatest football moments and I'll like to feel that feeling again. Despite how poor our team currently is I'm behind them. I may not follow or even watch all their matches like I do for Chelsea but I'll always want them to do well and to improve. And would take WC over CL any day.

Maybe it's different for countries that are always in the WC. Maybe that spark of national pride is a bit dull. I think every country that has never made it or haven't continuously made it supporters would chose WC over CL.

I don´t blame you. I don´t even remember India playing football internationally.

Remember someone saying they qualified for Brazil '50 but were disqualified by FIFA since they haven't used studs while playing the qualifiers....Funny, right?

Would've been pretty ironic if we qualified for Brazil '14

and i've been supporting England since '02 and even went to watch them at Germany.

Remember someone saying they qualified for Brazil '50 but were disqualified by FIFA since they haven't used studs while playing the qualifiers....Funny, right?

Would've been pretty ironic if we qualified for Brazil '14

and i've been supporting England since '02 and even went to watch them at Germany.

I must say, studs are important, then.

My team for the past two years is Belgium. Somehow, I have got to like them. Their playing style, relentless attacking football & I like it.

As for England, it´s a shame to see their squad being so pathetic for years. I believe, their failure to win anything should be attributed to FA. There are plenty of good footballers in England, but somehow no one seems to know how to utilize their talents.

To me, England should be making semifinals, easily.

Club over country all day long.

Just can't get that same emotional attachment or feelings whenever I watch matches involving countries. Do have 2-3 countries that I support or have soft spot for but overall, it's just not the same as supporting and cheering on your favorite club.

That is a hard one...

I guess I prefer club over country for 3/4 years, but the atmosphere of the World Cups are just unbeatable, nothing even comes close.

I have seen Brazil win the 2002 WC and I was in Munich in 2012 to see Chelsea win UCL, and it is fucking hard to decide which one I was most happy about. However, think of 2002 as if all of England was celebrating like Chelsea fans with parades throughout the whole country (quite literally). I think that can give you an idea of what the World Cup is like here in Brazil!

Nevertheless, while I like pretty mich everything involving club football (the league, the cups, champions league, etc), I only enjoy one tournament that happens once every four years in international football.

Anyways, wrote all of that and still couldnt give out a clear answer! :lol:

Club. Easy answer. Doesn't need a moment's thought.

Chelsea is my family, it's part of my life and has been since I can remember. It's part of my (real) family's life and is something I will pass on to the next generation. Some cunts might think we're plastic ( :rolleyes: ) but I consider myself very lucky to be part of this support.

England could win the world cup and it would be great, but it simply wouldn't compare to winning the league. Or the Cup. Or a game away to United....actually I'd take 3 points against Cardiff over a World Cup if you gave me the choice. Chelsea is football to me. International football is just one more game a player can get injured in.