Is the spending wrong?

Kojo

Since the start of this month I haven't been able to get my head around the purchases we have made. I look at other teams like Arsenal for instance, and they play much better football and rarely lose it up top. Now I'm not an idiot I know we will finish above Arsenal this season however you look at our play and sometimes it's shocking, even though we win games we are so sloppy and lack chemistry, will this get better?

The sad truth is we all know Chelsea FC needs more players... So once the players get used to each other we just bring in another 3 starters next season? I was happy when we bought Van Ginkel, he looks impressive and there is barely any pressure on him, it's sort of a win win situation and it will help him be a starter for us someday. I don't want to be a pointless villain and complain about the spending, because I know two seasons ago I would of bit your hand off we had the players we have now, it's just that it's like a Madrid Vs Barcelona argument, and which route do we take?

I know we can't just buy a whole bunch of 18 year olds and wait 6 years till they are full on starters, we can't afford that wait that is just unethical business behavior on our part if it did ever happen. I seen a post from TorontoChelsea earlier and he mentioned Chelsea are turning out the like a video game, we already had players like Moses performing then we go out and spend 30 million on Willian just like that, and then loan him out to Liverpool. I liked Moses, he was just the squad player we needed for the team, you need players like him to win the title even if they only start around 11 league games a season. However why all the attackers is what I don't understand, we have far too many to begin with yet we are still persisting on buying attackers and still aren't moving any players into a deeper role. However for the sake of this argument we may as well take a look at the pivot.

Frank Lampard

Ramires

John Obi Mikel

Marco Van Ginkel

What is your opinion on that double pivot? I think it's a weak double pivot and hasn't been spent on much, however as all managers know if you give players time together they will develop something a 30 million player couldn't do. I'm not going to state my opinion on these players above, not now anyway, a majority will already know but I'm asking what everyone else thinks on the central midfielder. What's worrying me is that the argument itself is hypocritical, I want new players in central midfield but at the same time I don't want expensive players, and in todays price range a decent player is worth around 30 million.

Should we give the midfield time? Can Mikel develop into a good central midfielder? will Van Ginkel catch on early and can Lampard still do it for another season. It's already been established Ramires is going to be a starter but just another quick question is he actually good enough? One might ask considering how sloppy his footballing skills can be.

This system almost requires perfection, we have to keep the ball, we really lack that. We need the type of players who are hard working and are really good footballers at the same time. Someone like Jack Wilshere would flourish in our system, however we have no players like that for the double pivot. Kevin De Bruyne is someone I wanted to see there but to be in the double pivot you need to know what you're doing 100%. You can't keep going forward you have to know when to stay back and then take the time going forward, they know that depending on the game it's their duty. So forget the double pivot for now, I only highlighted it because it's the weakest place on the team, so as for my main argument, should we spend more? Manchester Cities problem is that they aren't afraid to splash out 30 million on a squad player, they just instantly want players. I don't think we are like that but we seem to be overcrowding with CAM's and kicking others out just for the sake of it, our spending is getting pretty careless if you ask me and that's an issue in my opinion not a club priority to do it. Or should we give the team time, don't spend on the pivot, maybe bring in one player or let the other players develop, we still have the likes of Chalobah, Ake and McEachran, they are very young players mind but we can still rotate them and play them often enough.

My opinion at the moment is that we should not buy the likes of De Rossi and whatnot, that's just spending with no thought, De Rossi would be the only Italian player here and after years at club where he is going to play well and feel comfortable coming here doesn't seem promising he can do it like he did at Roma. Yes believe it or not Kojo actually thinks we should give the likes of Mikel and MVG time to establish themselves. But what's actually worrying me is that if we do fail and don't land for the title what do you think the consequences of our spending will lead to, so as for the main question is the spending wrong?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if I may, who is to say Chelsea will buy Rossi ?

I implied that's what the fans wanted, the majority of people on here wanted us to get Rossi, even I did.

But the more I've come to realize that it could've been a bad mistake and we should give other players time instead. We already have a young squad why should we ruin that and buy players who are finishing there primes? I don't think that will help.

I implied that's what the fans wanted, the majority of people on here wanted us to get Rossi, even I did.

But the more I've come to realize that it could've been a bad mistake and we should give other players time instead. We already have a young squad why should we ruin that and buy players who are finishing there primes? I don't think that will help.

Then, sorry for misunderstanding it. I too feel, he would be an added expense only. Just like I feel about Willian. I just hope, I am wrong here & he proves me otherwise. I just read on Twitter Jose confirms Oscar & Lampard to start tomorrow. Now, my question, will Mata or Willian get their proper chances to play ?

Then, sorry for misunderstanding it. I too feel, he would be an added expense only. Just like I feel about Willian. I just hope, I am wrong here & he proves me otherwise. I just read on Twitter Jose confirms Oscar & Lampard to start tomorrow. Now, my question, will Mata or Willian get their proper chances to play ?

Willian usually plays on the wing rather than behind, so I think Willian is definitely going to get his shot, most likely right wing.

I think Willian is a good player but again we just spent 30 million just like that? We didn't need him either, I don't know what the plan is but the board are obviously intelligent people, what are they planning on exactly? I just don't know.

I think the Old Trafford game showed why we went after Willian. We went their with four 22 year old's playing as the front four, now while those players who started that night are very talented, to say they showed they were no where near finished article's that night was an understatement.

Before Willian came in, we were a Mata injury away from having to rely on 22 year old's in our key position, which was just not practical, not even Wenger in his youth obsessed prime went that young all over his key position's.

In big games a front four of Willian, Hazard, Oscar/Mata, Eto'o, offers a good balance of youth, prime and experience and i would feel a lot better going into the latter stages of the CL with that combination. Also if their's more experienced players playing further up, MVG can play more games aswell. Youth and experience balance is one of the underestimated thing's in football, imagine if (we didn't sign Willian) Mata got injured, we would have to play three 22 year old's in AM, so playing a 20 year old in the pivot would have been even harder to be able to do, we would have literally turned into Arsenal.

Also we are lacking players in the 25-28 bracket, Willian falls into that category.

The main thing im trying to say is Willian signing on the face of it didn't make sense, but thinking out side the box and for the experience/youth/prime balance of the team, it actually makes perfect sense.

Willian usually plays on the wing rather than behind, so I think Willian is definitely going to get his shot, most likely right wing.

I think Willian is a good player but again we just spent 30 million just like that? We didn't need him either, I don't know what the plan is but the board are obviously intelligent people, what are they planning on exactly? I just don't know.

Well, you are correct about Willian. However, couldn´t they keep Moses, then ?

The board likes to spend money as seen every year. Sometimes, I wonder whether Roman doesn´t care about it.

Jose does not play Mata much, lately. I just wonder about tomorrow. Will he start ?

I also see Cahill on instead of Luiz. Now, if I may ? Since Luiz & Mata were much sought for, I see total of 50m for both here = one Falcao or Cavani. The CL or PL title is at Stamford Bridge.

We haven't directly strengthend areas we NEEDED to improve, ie central midfield, defence and striker, so yes, in my opinion we have spent wrong.

We've made some very good signings, but they weren't necessary. Van Ginkel might turn out to be a very good buy but he isn't going to solve our current biggest problem, which is the pivot.

Imho he should have gone on loan to Ajax. I don't need to tell you the benefits.

Our biggest problem atm is the transition from defense to attack, we haven't got the ball-holding distributor that's oh so important for nearly any system out there in football.

I think the Old Trafford game showed why we went after Willian. We went their with four 22 year old's playing as the front four, now while those players who started that night are very talented, to say they showed they were no where near finished article's that night was an understatement.

Before Willian came in, we were a Mata injury away from having to rely on 22 year old's in our key position, which was just not practical, not even Wenger in his youth obsessed prime went that young all over his key position's.

In big games a front four of Willian, Hazard, Oscar/Mata, Eto'o, offers a good balance of youth, prime and experience and i would feel a lot better going into the latter stages of the CL with that combination. Also if their's more experienced players playing further up, MVG can play more games aswell. Youth and experience balance is one of the underestimated thing's in football, imagine if (we didn't sign Willian) Mata got injured, we would have to play three 22 year old's in AM, so playing a 20 year old in the pivot would have been even harder to be able to do, we would have literally turned into Arsenal.

Also we are lacking players in the 25-28 bracket, Willian falls into that category.

The main thing im trying to say is Willian signing on the face of it didn't make sense, but thinking out side the box and for the experience/youth/prime balance of the team, it actually makes perfect sense.

30 million is a big move though.

30 million is a big move though.

That's true and there are wingers i would have probably preferred to Willian (Blaszcaykowski would have had me on a high for weeks) but i think he is going to be great for us and he is defiantly a step up from Moses.

We haven't directly strengthend areas we NEEDED to improve, ie central midfield, defence and striker, so yes, in my opinion we have spent wrong.

We've made some very good signings, but they weren't necessary. Van Ginkel might turn out to be a very good buy but he isn't going to solve our current biggest problem, which is the pivot.

Imho he should have gone on loan to Ajax. I don't need to tell you the benefits.

Our biggest problem atm is the transition from defense to attack, we haven't got the ball-holding distributor that's oh so important for nearly any system out there in football.

I still think Van Ginkel will have a role here, he played many times during pre season, that wont be for nothing.

Good post, but It has been the case for the last 2 years.

There has been plenty of thread regarding this matter (double pivot,midfield problem).

I am pretty sure our team knows this but like what MU found out, it is not easy to find a good midfielder.

The problem is availability. We don't need pure holding player because we have mikel. We don't need a high energy box to box player because we have ramires.

What we actually need is their partner (lampard "replacement").

Maybe we can hack andres herrera, but I do not watch bilbao game often to know whether he is good enough for us or not.

It's wrong if we are not going to fill some of the unfilled position with young product.

By now it's obvious that we won't fill anything for our AM positions.

But CM, DM and defense I think we have a lot of young talents that will need to slowly blood in the coming seasons.

Should we buy a new midfielder next season? Or should we develope others?

A team can work hard and play well, maybe we could adapt the likes of Oscar there and keep him deeper.

For example play 4 CAMS in the team at once, it's something we could do but would it work that's the question. I think going out and spending on a new midfielder will only set us back for another season, maybe I'm over exaggerating but I think if we want to be superior rather than being a Real Madrid we should stick to our players now and adapt them into a new system, a system we can all play.