Jase

Man of the Match  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We won the Champions League final but lets not kid ourself's, it was the most one sided Champions League final for a long, long time (even more so that Porto vs Monaco). It should have been a humiliating defeat, but some sort of footballing god was on our side.

Munich was probably our worst performance in the Roman era, our whole team apart from Cech had a mare, we will never be able to truly re pay Cech for that night, ever!!!!!

The point im trying to make is we got away with a shite performance that night, but we didn't get away with it forever (Athletico and Juve the following season, going out at the group stage), the same as we won't lose forever if we keep performing like yesterday.

no one is kidding themselves here. our performance that night was shambolic but so was munich's.

my point is/was that FINISHING is as much a part of the game as passing, tackling, positioning. why do we exclude finishing from our minds when we our talking about the overall game.

u say we wont keep losing forever if we keep playing but what happened today is not the first time this has happened to us in the last 1 year. liverpool at home should have been 3/4-0 but ended 1-1, wba should have been won 4/3-2 was lost 1-2, swansea should have been in the bag much more the 80th minute equalizer ended 1-1. and this is just out of the top of my head. the no. of points we lost last season due to poor finishing was immense and this season it has already cost us 3 points. so at the moment, i dont think everything like get fine if we keep playing the way we are.

the problems that we had last season are still here, poor finishing, weak pivot. the only thing that was good in our first 4 matches was the defensive discipline but yesterday we even lacked that.

so forgive if i am not as optimistic as u in saying everything will get fine if we keep playing this way, because it simply does not look like that to me.

Yesterday was our first real test in the EPL this season and we failed.

Opposition teams will now be more confident of getting a result against us.

Our next major test is against Spurs 3 games from the Basel one. Win there could make up for this defeat.

Hopefully before that Mour can find his best team with the right bench. We can be unstoppable after that.

no one is kidding themselves here. our performance that night was shambolic but so was munich's.

my point is/was that FINISHING is as much a part of the game as passing, tackling, positioning. why do we exclude finishing from our minds when we our talking about the overall game.

u say we wont keep losing forever if we keep playing but what happened today is not the first time this has happened to us in the last 1 year. liverpool at home should have been 3/4-0 but ended 1-1, wba should have been won 4/3-2 was lost 1-2, swansea should have been in the bag much more the 80th minute equalizer ended 1-1. and this is just out of the top of my head. the no. of points we lost last season due to poor finishing was immense and this season it has already cost us 3 points. so at the moment, i dont think everything like get fine if we keep playing the way we are.

the problems that we had last season are still here, poor finishing, weak pivot. the only thing that was good in our first 4 matches was the defensive discipline but yesterday we even lacked that.

Yes finishing is a part of the game, that night we took our's and Munich didn't. But Munich (apart from the finishing) were good that night, they made us look like school boys, if Drogba skied that header they would have probably been lauded for such a dominant performance in the biggest stage of all.

Since when was Manchester United away not a real test? :doh:

some of the overconfidence people seem to have since Jose returned is staggering, apparently we're going to walk the league

they seem to still be living in 2005

How did you gather that? Don't be ridiculous. No one on the forum thinks we're going to walk the title - in fact most are predicting a top three finish. Just because people are being reasonable about the loss doesn't mean they think we're going to win the rest of our games.

Yes finishing is a part of the game, that night we took our's and Munich didn't. But Munich (apart from the finishing) were good that night, they made us look like school boys, if Drogba skied that header they would have probably been lauded for such a dominant performance in the biggest stage of all.

precisely. when you miss/fluff your chances, u tread a dangerous line. hence my argument that "everything will be fine" simply wont work for us if things continue this way.

precisely. when you miss/fluff your chances, u tread a dangerous line. hence my argument that "everything will be fine" simply wont work for us if things continue this way.

That's a fair point, but also if you keep performing to the same standard eventually you will get your reward, look what happened to Bayern after the 2012 CL final?

I thought that was Manchester United... you know... the defending champions, at their turf and all. I'm mistaken I guess.

Disagree that one of our main problems was "finishing" last season, especially for our strikers.

Last year we barely created enough clear cut chances for Ba and Torres. It was usually a goal from midfield that won games from us - and that was because our attacking midfielders were in better positions to score than the two aforementioned more often than not, not because our strikers had 3/4 chances to score in in most games.

I honestly can't remember the last time Torres had 3 or more pretty clear chances in a game and that tells you a lot.

Artistic football is no use without goals, says Jose.

It´s fair to say we deserved to win, he continues.

Well, how about Barca, Bayern two years ago when Chelsea parked the bus only ?

Isn´t it up to Jose to play players who are capable to score, then ?

That's a fair point, but also if you keep performing to the same standard eventually you will get your reward, look what happened to Bayern after the 2012 CL final?

they started taking their chances. does not seem like we are going to do that anytime soon.

I dont know if someone has pointed this out, but every one of the league winning teams for the last 4 seasons have either lost or drew at Goodison park. United lost last season, City before that and we lost in our double winning season. So overreactions are unwarranted, and for the superstitious fellas you can even consider the loss as a good omen for the season.

Not even joking, I honestly think that the post match thread should not be opened until the next day when we lose a match. Although some of the panicking and over-reaction does make for a good laugh :lol:

I thought our performance was okay, especially in the first half, but we just didn't do enough in the final third. I won't judge Jose's subs because I honestly didn't understand them, but I think it's fair tosa y they didn't work. We lost a lot of our edge going forward when we took Mata and Schurrle off. But credit to Everton who were superb and to Martinez who honestly won the tactics battle with Jose.

Mikel was my MOTM. Worked his butt off and did very well both defensively and on the ball.

Not even joking, I honestly think that the post match thread should not be opened until the next day when we lose a match. Although some of the panicking and over-reaction does make for a good laugh :lol:

I thought our performance was okay, especially in the first half, but we just didn't do enough in the final third. I won't judge Jose's subs because I honestly didn't understand them, but I think it's fair tosa y they didn't work. We lost a lot of our edge going forward when we took Mata and Schurrle off. But credit to Everton who were superb and to Martinez who honestly won the tactics battle with Jose.

Mikel was my MOTM. Worked his butt off and did very well both defensively and on the ball.

Personally, I do not feel anyone is overreacting here. Everyone should be able to write his opinion, I feel.

Is Jose infallible, then ? I think, his summer deals were not needed. Too many players at one position. Meanwhile, no striker who can score.

Personally, I do not feel anyone is overreacting here. Everyone should be able to write his opinion, I feel.

Is Jose infallible, then ? I think, his summer deals were not needed. Too many players at one position. Meanwhile, no striker who can score.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion as I am entitled to think that they are overreacting. Who says Jose is infallible? I was criticizing him in the very same post you quoted!