Willian

Jase

Looking at their squad, I'd have Rafael over Maicon and Filipe Luis of At. Madrid over Maxwell, and any of Fernando of Porto, or Sandro or Fernandinho over Lucas Leiva. I'd also keep an eye on the likes of Coutinho and the lads at Shakhtar as well. But I'm happy Willian is in the squad and hopefully that should get him to perform even better for us.

trust me, that's not how Seleção works.

With the exception of Leiva vs Fernandinho, all other guys you suggested while very good, won't fit.

Menezes before Scolari got plenty of guys like those you suggested and we all saw how well that worked.

There's a certain profile of players that work in our NT and others don't. That's why we'll have Julio Cesar in the WC (the only player confirmed since August) despite him not playing one match for QPR in months. We need experience in the back (including dm), and that's how we work best.

In the AM and ST positions is where we're willing to make bets, but preferably having at least one or two experienced players in the squad. So if you make suggestions like that to replace Jo or Hulk, then they're likely to happen, but they're very unlike in the defense and even in the DM

trust me, that's not how Seleção works.

With the exception of Leiva vs Fernandinho, all other guys you suggested while very good, won't fit.

Menezes before Scolari got plenty of guys like those you suggested and we all saw how well that worked.

There's a certain profile of players that work in our NT and others don't. That's why we'll have Julio Cesar in the WC (the only player confirmed since August) despite him not playing one match for QPR in months. We need experience in the back (including dm), and that's how we work best.

In the AM and ST positions is where we're willing to make bets, but preferably having at least one or two experienced players in the squad. So if you make suggestions like that to replace Jo or Hulk, then they're likely to happen, but they're very unlike in the defense and even in the DM

I see, it's still a very strong squad nonetheless.

I have never doubted he was a great player, but I still think we should have used that 32mi elsewhere...

Find it funny that the praises (some OTT) for Willian so far has all been about his defensive workrate. While it does deserve credit, I don't think we pay 32m for an attacking player to just be good at defending...

Find it funny that the praises (some OTT) for Willian so far has all been about his defensive workrate. While it does deserve credit, I don't think we pay 32m for an attacking player to just be good at defending...

He's still adapting... if anything he's struggling much less than I expected after playing in leagues like Russian and Ukrainian... none are known for their physicality and playing for Shakhtar is basically the same as playing for any Brazilian side 1) high amount of Brazilians 2) Brazilian style of play

Also he didn't play for months before joining us... he had no match rhythm or form at all.

Rapha

I feel like money was never the issue there. They have an opportunity to sign a player they've wanted for a long while and the player also wanted to come. So maybe it was more a question of pride and good opportunity than choosing where to put the money.

The FFP is a joke, I don't think we'd have problems if we had spent another 32M in an additional player and I don't feel like Roman doesn't have another 32M to spend.

2 assists and a goal with barely any minutes is quite decent, it's also worth a mention that he's been directly involved in quite a few goals besides his assists. I feel the defensive work has been talked about a lot with our players in general as it's the least Mourinho expects from his players, therefore, it you don't do it, or if you don't do it well enough, you pretty much don't play at all.

He's a very well balanced player and he's one that'll probably establish himself. He doesn't give the ball away he's fast and driven and he's got good technique. He offers a mixture of oscar's work rate and drive and shurrle's pace. He's also got a very good pass, he's one of the most 2 footed players you'll see too.

Well, how about his goal vs. Norwich? He certainly has it, but we just have to hope he can do it in England!

Well, how about his goal vs. Norwich? He certainly has it, but we just have to hope he can do it in England!

Errr, ya. Just 1 special goal and there's nothing much else so far. Still want to see more from him especially offensively..

Errr, ya. Just 1 special goal and there's nothing much else so far. Still want to see more from him especially offensively..

Disagree, he have added a lot to Chelsea's game through his offensive passing, could have had an assist against Arsenal if the shooting had been better.

There is also skill in being a the right place at the right time, and even though he missed against Cardiff he was alert enough to almost score.

I think Schurrle is a great player that will become excellent, but the question is if Willian is not already excellent and can become fantastic.

Disagree, he have added a lot to Chelsea's game through his offensive passing, could have had an assist against Arsenal if the shooting had been better.

There is also skill in being a the right place at the right time, and even though he missed against Cardiff he was alert enough to almost score.

Those are just bits and pieces or glimpses. Not saying he isn't great but so far, he still hasn't shown much attacking wise especially for one who was bought for 32m.

Those are just bits and pieces or glimpses. Not saying he isn't great but so far, he still hasn't shown much attacking wise especially for one who was bought for 32m.

It is propably related to the fact that he was brought in late, have not featured as prominently as other players and last but not least does not have the central role in the team that a player such as Özil might have at Arsenal.

I was not completely sold on his transfer, but I am now glad that he is a part of the team. I do understand though that others may disagree, after all it is still early in the season and he was expensive. I guess it will be easier to judge him when he have started more than a handful of games.

He didnt play any football for 2 months before he joined us. He practically had his preseason with us during matches to get fully fit

did you miss this post, Jason?

2 assists and a goal with barely any minutes is quite decent, it's also worth a mention that he's been directly involved in quite a few goals besides his assists. I feel the defensive work has been talked about a lot with our players in general as it's the least Mourinho expects from his players, therefore, it you don't do it, or if you don't do it well enough, you pretty much don't play at all.

1 goal + 2 assists in a very limited play time is more than Mata or Schürrle have done (both having played way more)... Actually the only AMs with better stats than him are Hazard and Oscar who played almost all matches for us, so I'm not even sure if you do the how many minutes for each goal and assist if they're still better than Willian statistically and I'm talking about the kind of stats that are reliable, not that BS they call 'chances created' which is the biggest misleading junk in football stats.

You're being unnecessarily harsh on a player that is far from his best form both fitness and technically wise and still he's been contributing in all matches he plays more than 10 minutes, not only defensively, but also offensively.

If you can't recognize how good is his passing in the attack, how he finds players in good positions, how he moves around markers, how he makes space, then I suggest you to watch him closer next match. It's nothing exceptional, but it's way more than 'just being recognized by his defensive contributions'

I'm not saying he's done enough to justify the price-tag. But it seems nearly nonsense to want a player who spent months without playing any match and then adapting to a league completely different from his, barely having play time to simply be the guy. I think he's doing far better than I've expected given the circumstances, especially his lack of match form prior to joining to us. If there's one player that capitalized his chances so far, it's been Willian imo. I guess he should start taking turns in starts from now on, rotating with Schürrle, as Hazard won't leave the starting XI. I'd also like to watch him play in the Oscar position at least once. So I hope we have a chance to watch Schürrle - Willian - Hazard.

I suppose you can look at it that way, but really it's not like our other attacking midfielders have showed so much more (attacking wise) than Willian. Yeah Hazard and Oscar have scored the most goals out of the six but they only have like two assists between them (in the league). Schurrle has clocked in more minutes than willian but yet only has 1 goal and zero assists. I don't think it makes sense to single out willian when our attacking midfielders in general have been contributing much more defensively than they have offensively. Obviously there are legitimate reasons why Jose has set them up like that but I do think it's interesting that our pivot gets so much criticism on here about not being able to control the tempo, not moving the ball fast enough, being bad passers etc etc yet in the game against Man City, Frank and Ramires were basically our best offensive players. Our centre midfield pretty much matched City's despite them having a one man advantage but the three behind Torres were very poor compared to Nasri and Silva who both made triple the number of key passers that Oscar, Hazard and Schurrle made and were just much better than the three.

There has actually been a couple of games like that this season in which the three behind the striker were basically anonymous and contributed nothing in attack yet rarely are they ever scrutinized. Maybe a bit offtopic, just find it interesting.

He didnt play any football for 2 months before he joined us. He practically had his preseason with us during matches to get fully fit

did you miss this post, Jason?

1 goal + 2 assists in a very limited play time is more than Mata or Schürrle have done (both having played way more)... Actually the only AMs with better stats than him are Hazard and Oscar who played almost all matches for us, so I'm not even sure if you do the how many minutes for each goal and assist if they're still better than Willian statistically and I'm talking about the kind of stats that are reliable, not that BS they call 'chances created' which is the biggest misleading junk in football stats.

You're being unnecessarily harsh on a player that is far from his best form both fitness and technically wise and still he's been contributing in all matches he plays more than 10 minutes, not only defensively, but also offensively.

If you can't recognize how good is his passing in the attack, how he finds players in good positions, how he moves around markers, how he makes space, then I suggest you to watch him closer next match. It's nothing exceptional, but it's way more than 'just being recognized by his defensive contributions'

I'm not saying he's done enough to justify the price-tag. But it seems nearly nonsense to want a player who spent months without playing any match and then adapting to a league completely different from his, barely having play time to simply be the guy. I think he's doing far better than I've expected given the circumstances, especially his lack of match form prior to joining to us. If there's one player that capitalized his chances so far, it's been Willian imo. I guess he should start taking turns in starts from now on, rotating with Schürrle, as Hazard won't leave the starting XI. I'd also like to watch him play in the Oscar position at least once. So I hope we have a chance to watch Schürrle - Willian - Hazard.

I suppose you can look at it that way, but really it's not like our other attacking midfielders have showed so much more (attacking wise) than Willian. Yeah Hazard and Oscar have scored the most goals out of the six but they only have like two assists between them (in the league). Schurrle has clocked in more minutes than willian but yet only has 1 goal and zero assists. I don't think it makes sense to single out willian when our attacking midfielders in general have been contributing much more defensively than they have offensively.

Honestly, I have no idea why so many got worked up because of what I said about Willian before. I'm totally aware of the reasons that have been mentioned but have I like gone out to say 'If Willian doesn't perform in the next few games, we should sell him because he's rubbish!' or things like that?! No. I don't think there's any wrong if I want to see more from Willian going forward because right now, I've not seen enough of it yet.

I kind of realized that whoever plays on the right side usually sucks...

Whether its oscar, mata, willian, kdb, hazard, or schurrle.. Did anyone play well on the right side and actually stick on the right side>