A visual comparison of Lukaku and Torres vs. Real Madrid

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this vid gives me nightmares...

But Torres >>>>>>>> Lukaku in that match easily.

Lukaku actually had more chances to do something for us but he was very poor....

The van Ginkel pass that he's totally rooted waiting, instead of keep his feet moving to receive - lack of technique

The perfect pass by Ramires (?) that he finishes the ball in the Caribbean - it puts Torres to shame

The great pass he receives in the right... he crosses the ball in an awful fashion (more like he gets rid of it) when he had only one defender against him...

The good thing is that I know he can do better than that because that was awful in so many levels...

Torres linked up some plays - some poorly, some nicely, but he hadn't had one chance like those three I mentioned Lukaku had. I wonder if he would have done as bad or better (sort of hard making worse, unless of course, he trips on the ball.

The way they performed separately makes me wonder if he had Lukaku by his side if both of them wouldn't have benefited from it. Lukaku could benefit from the link up...

But yeah, Lukaku totally Torres'ed.

Lukaku has never been good to help the midfielders behind him.

And he's the worst defender of the squad.

I think he was very nervous... I've seen him doing better with the chances he had... I wonder if he doesn't feel pressured up to show Mourinho he can count on him? You guys know him better than I do... what do you think?

indeed he's the worst defender

sometimes i think he's sightseeing instead off playing football.

because i don't know if you noticed but sometimes he's watching more to the bench than to the game

indeed he's the worst defender

sometimes i think he's sightseeing instead off playing football.

because i don't know if you noticed but sometimes he's watching more to the bench than to the game

which is one of the indications I think he's still quite nervous... which is understandable

Torres has that bit of experience of leading the line against big European teams like Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus etc. which Lukaku doesn't which is why Torres was much better out of the two when he came on.

You look at the difference in how Marco (21) and then Romelu (20) performed. Romelu wasn't confident enough, he looked disinterested and struggled to get into the game whereas Marco started badly but grew into the game and became much more confident because he decided to play safer passes and safe dribbles when in possession. Sometimes thats the difference with young players, can they be confident enough to turn it around after a bad start against big teams? Or do they struggle and crumble? You could tell they both started nervously which you gradually expect both to get rid of with experience.

The fact Romelu was also isolated didn't help but as we seen he wasn't effective enough when the team had possession, he stood still, when Torres came on he chased back, looked to drop deeper to receive the ball, which sometimes your striker needs to do to help your team out. Its stuff like that Rom needs to improve. Also theres times where if he doesn't get the pass when he wants (like when van Ginkel dispossessed Khedira and broke), he just stops as opposed to keep looking for the pass.

Defending from the front as well is vital in teams. Torres does this quite well sometimes (got to give the fucker some credit) so at least Romelu can learn from him a bit (please do not try and learn how to finish from him though :Goober:). Its really an experience thing though, when things aren't going well for your team or striker you've got to try run about, put yourself about and help the team out as well as you can. Romelu didn't win much against Ramos and Pepe tbh which I'm disappointed in actually but I suppose both are regarded as top class CBs.

I'll probably edit this later and add more as I've got to go :P

Actually can't be bothered I'll leave it as this.

Edited by RyanDavidson

Torres played like how Mou has always been talking about, dropping deep to link up play, allowing others to run behind him. Sometimes he dropped too deep, but Rooney will do that a lot too. The one difference though is when Torres drops deep he will never score since he won't make it back to the box, unlike Rooney.

Edited by Sheva.

this vid gives me nightmares...

But Torres >>>>>>>> Lukaku in that match easily.

Lukaku actually had more chances to do something for us but he was very poor....

The van Ginkel pass that he's totally rooted waiting, instead of keep his feet moving to receive - lack of technique

The perfect pass by Ramires (?) that he finishes the ball in the Caribbean - it puts Torres to shame

The great pass he receives in the right... he crosses the ball in an awful fashion (more like he gets rid of it) when he had only one defender against him...

The good thing is that I know he can do better than that because that was awful in so many levels...

Torres linked up some plays - some poorly, some nicely, but he hadn't had one chance like those three I mentioned Lukaku had. I wonder if he would have done as bad or better (sort of hard making worse, unless of course, he trips on the ball.

The way they performed separately makes me wonder if he had Lukaku by his side if both of them wouldn't have benefited from it. Lukaku could benefit from the link up...

But yeah, Lukaku totally Torres'ed.

Well..class is permanent

For me Torres does a decent job in European matches but when it comes to the PL he is all over the place and gets knocked around. Romelu will do good at the PL than Torres IMO

Can't help but agree. we should actually try that out.

I doubt it was even a matter of experience tbh, rather Mourinho identifying that our midfield couldn't handle the transition under pressure successfully with Lukaku searching for space and isolated, thus making Torres act as a flase 9 and joining the midfield. (part of Mourinho's aspects he was testing) It started off well, but everyone's performances started drifting after the third goal.

Edited by Cicero

Not sure whether it was a tactical thing or not but Lukaku played as that lone drogba like striker role whereas Torres was more of a rotating number 10, and sharing that striker role like it was an in play rotation allowing the attacking mids to run in. that to me is a tactical thing to suit those strikers who are very different. I like this because it gives us two effective options to use when we need it.

I also would say that was a bad game by Lukaku. i think on his day he would have come across a lot better. Maybe because it was a big team? i dunno, a hat trick Vs man united on the last day of the season seems to suggest he doesnt care about the team he's facing...