01:00 Kick Off (UK time)

[Match kicks off at 8pm in US on 1st August]

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that was a good display

We had the best defensive midfield in the first half and the best attacking midfield in the second. A combination of both things is what I'm looking forward to seeing... it could be amazing!

It might have just been my sleep deprivation, but I think I saw Mikel in the opposition box!

Very solid performance. Inter took the match way too seriously. MVG was amazing in his movement and defensive side, especially in the first half but Moses has to be MOTM since he made the goals happen.

Oscar's goal alone was worth staying up till 5 am. Good night..or it's actually morning now :yawn:

Oh, and I want some of what that ref is smoking!

Some very promising stuff on display. Even though the Lukaku brigade will jump on my back Im going to say he had a shit game. Yeah he run the channel, he created space...blah blah. You cant win the league without a high scoring striker nowadays. We did it when Drogba won the golden boot, City with Aguero and United with Van persie. Lukaku isnt at that level, neither is Torres or Ba. We are in desperate need of a quality striker.

There are few positive things I've seen today that make me really happy and relieved for our new season.

• squad depth. We were good in the first half and you looked to our bench and there were great options. If you think Mata is the regular and Oscar is the sub, and then add Schurrle and Kevin to the mix and I'm a happy girl
  • the double pivot with Ramires and van Ginkel was an amazing (and welcoming) surprise. I think one of our problems resides there and they showed that we can have the work rate - they tackled everything and some more; intercepted many balls and Marco adds so much quality in our transition (passing, penetration, carrying the ball). I'm yet to see if Marco can add the long pass, but I'll cover the depth in a bit
  • Mata completely changed the match. It seems like the team relaxed and played their football once he got in. The team depends - and trusts - quite a lot on him
  • We must pray for the striker position. There's no other option left. Whether we pray for a new signing and for Saint Mou to be able to fix the guys we have, it doesn't matter. They have different deficiencies and stronger sides will make it even more noticeable. It's worth mentioning Lukaku had two guys on him all the time and it's unlikely to happen in EPL so it might help him. Ba tries hard, but he just can't. Torres seems to want to prove to Mourinho he can... the problem is everyone knows he can't.
  • Moses was really great in the first half - but that's the problem. He sometimes plays amazing and then he simply disappears in a streak of matches. He needs to add consistency to his game
  • We still lack depth - but it already improved from last season. One thing that was remarkable imo in CC was David Luiz's long passes - not only the amount but the accuracy. Tonight he had a chance to do it twice and one of his passes found Mata (or someone else) inside the box in a great position to assist or dribble and try to score. I think he could add to our depth even if he plays as a CB and I'm sure Mourinho will work on that.
  • All in all the feelings are so much better than last season's.
  • Do not forget Eden doesn't perform the same in friendlies. It's bigger than him, he needs the official competition to motivate him
  • Lukaku is promising, but there's a lot of work he needs to do to be able to compete in high level football such as UCL and EPL
  • Oscar still seems tired, but he showed the class is still there
  • Essien looked good.

squad depth.

Number 1 thing for me. I've been raving about this since we completed the Schwarzer, Van Ginkel and Schurrle signings. I'm delighted with the squad we have - the fact that they're so young as well and that they can only grow as a group under a world class manager is fantastic.

We add Rooney to this brilliant squad and we're laughing.

MOTM is a no-brainer - MOSES.

mvg is brilliant and mvg + rambo is something i want to see again and again and again...

mata is pure class but do want to see how jose plays him considering the obvious change of formation from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 while we were defending in the 1st half with oscar doubling back.

essien does look like he still has what it takes and mikel was his usual self, losing the ball with his 1st touch, getting it back with his 2nd and then being safe and nothing flashy.

JT = a wall.

lukaku had a decent game and so did torres and ba.

eden - nightmare but i wont look much into it.