Frank Lampard - Super Sub?

Strike

Jose Mourinho has admitted that Frank Lampard may not be first-choice at Chelsea anymore but still thinks he can play a significant part in the upcoming season. Lampard, who was an ever-present part of the Chelsea team in Mourinho's first stint in charge, played a part in 50 games last season but with increased competition for the midfield positions (with the arrival of Marco van Ginkel and the loan return of Michael Essien), Mourinho expects Lampard to be a bit-part player at the club.

"In this moment we have just to analyse competition and make some choices, because I believe he is the same player, with the difference that he is 35 and the time [needed] to recover from match to match is not the same for a man of 35 to a man of 25. That's the only point. Now we have to analyse the fixtures, analyse the matches, analyse the week we have and to make a few choices."

"Frank can't play 60 matches like he did before, but the quality of the player and what he represents for the way I like to play football is exactly the same, He's intelligent, he's open, he has a very good relationship with me. He knows that I'm very experienced and he knows what I did, for example, with Makelele here in the last two years of Makelele [when the Frenchman played 87 times for the club as he approached his mid-30s]. He knows I know how to do it with players of his age, because at the end of the day we have to be just clever, because the player is the same."

Lampard, who enjoyed a prolific campaign last season, culminating with the double salvo at Villa Park, which not only broke Bobby Tambling's Chelsea goal-scoring record but also confirmed Chelsea's participation in the UEFA Champions League this year. But age has caught up with Frank and he is currently recovering from a minor achilles injury and will most likely miss Chelsea's final pre-season game in Asia.

Jose is no stranger to getting the best out of ageing players. He used Makelele to great effect back in 2005 and also won the Champions League with a Inter side consisting of several players well into their 30's including captain Javier Zanetti and vice-captain Marco Materazzi, both 39 at that point

Using Frank judiciously maybe the best move for all concerned and it may help him prolong his sensational career.

Click here to view article

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about "prolonging" his career any further. Unless something unpredictable happens like Frank taking a player/coach position, or accepting a HUGE pay cut that would put him on the kind of wages that Paulo was on, I think/hope this will be Frank's last season here.

I think we're going to see Frank rested strategically. After all, age has proved to be no detriment on his ability to inspire in big matches. I think we are quite likely to see Lampard rested for major matches in the league, and any knock-out cup/European fixtures. Many people think Frank doesn't have the positional discipline to play in the deeper role, which to some extent I would agree with as at times last season it was as if he was totally fixated on breaking the scoring record rather than functioning for the team, but if you cast your mind back to 11/12, he was already playing in the deeper role and did it to breathtaking effect in major games, especially home and away against Barcelona and of course in Munich. He adds a competitive edge and of course limitless experience, and he is a big-game changer; people talk about Hazard and Mata as sources of inspiration, but Frank is just as likely - no, in fact, he's probably a bigger goal threat than both put together - to find us a goal out of nowhere. He is the ultimate player and I think if Mourinho is prudent in his thinking, he can get the best out of Frank for the next 2-3 seasons. Under Mourinho's management he may even get near the 250 mark.

I think we're going to see Frank rested strategically. After all, age has proved to be no detriment on his ability to inspire in big matches. I think we are quite likely to see Lampard rested for major matches in the league, and any knock-out cup/European fixtures.

There is a down side to that. His physical mobility. The Man United FA Cup game, (where he was taken off early in the 2nd half) was a classic example and I don't think Rafa started him in many of the BIG games (Spurs, Liverpool, Man City) usually preferring Mikel-Rami in the midfield.

I think we're going to see Frank rested strategically. After all, age has proved to be no detriment on his ability to inspire in big matches. I think we are quite likely to see Lampard rested for major matches in the league, and any knock-out cup/European fixtures. Many people think Frank doesn't have the positional discipline to play in the deeper role, which to some extent I would agree with as at times last season it was as if he was totally fixated on breaking the scoring record rather than functioning for the team, but if you cast your mind back to 11/12, he was already playing in the deeper role and did it to breathtaking effect in major games, especially home and away against Barcelona and of course in Munich. He adds a competitive edge and of course limitless experience, and he is a big-game changer; people talk about Hazard and Mata as sources of inspiration, but Frank is just as likely - no, in fact, he's probably a bigger goal threat than both put together - to find us a goal out of nowhere. He is the ultimate player and I think if Mourinho is prudent in his thinking, he can get the best out of Frank for the next 2-3 seasons. Under Mourinho's management he may even get near the 250 mark.

I want to marry this post and have all its babies.

I'm one of those old school kind of people who wants such a legend to retire in their team. I think we can manage that somehow and he may be opened to have a lower wage. And he's special, he's one of those guys that really can continue to contribute even when age and fitness may present issues. I'm with him staying and being used wisely. He doesn't need to start all matches or play all of them. but he can still be deadly and he's such a nice guy and he wants what's best for the team.

I'm a huge Frank fan that wanted him to stay not only because of what he represents, but also because of what he can still produce.

Good. I hate to say it but there were times last season where Frank looked lost in certain games. As its been said before, sometimes he'll win you a match and sometimes some dodgy positioning/lack of tackling/shutting down or whatever will cost you a match. He isn't a defensive midfielder, he isn't a playmaker. Hes a goal scoring midfielder, 'the super sub' is the best role for him. In the bigger games against City, Arsenal, Spurs, United we need to go for energy and legs in midfield, which is why Rami - Mikel or Rami - Van Ginkel /whatever new duo will more than likely start those games.

LOL, i know it's comletely rubbish, and i shouldn't bother, but the spite in this article is unbelievable

http://footylatest.com/keeping-john-terry-and-frank-lampard-could-end-up-costing-jose-mourinho-his-job/46864?

I'll copy-paste it so the article doesn't generate anymore undeserved traffic

It is no secret that Terry is past his prime now, and is mostly in the news for all the wrong reasons. His performances have taken a backseat due to his frequent injuries and suspensions, and having him in the dressing room is no longer an asset due to his present mediocrity and occasional poisonous influence on the squad.

Moving on to Lampard, the Englishman is known to be an occasional whiner whenever the boss chooses others over him to feature in the first team. He does not hesitate to point a finger at the manager and give rise to a hostile environment within the team to get his own way, and the fact that he behaved that way with ex-managers Andre Villas-Boas and Rafael Benitez prove that he can resort to the same steps with Mourinho if the Portuguese doesn’t hand him regular chances – which is pretty much expected given the calibre of the present generation of Blues’ players.
Hence, having the aforementioned duo in the team might do more harm than good to the team, and might reduce their chances of winning silverware this season. Mourinho would have to find a way out of this mess and offload them both, if he wishes to maintain the integrity of the team and save his job in the process.