• Terry
    • Cole
    • Essien
    • Ramires
    • Piazon
    • De Bruyne
    • Schurrle
    • Lukaku
  2. 2. Who Is Your Man of the Match (Subs)?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much better performance than the first game of last season's pre season. Really great to see we actually have at least 2 very good players for each position. Really looking forward to seeing his "best" team and seeing how they all gel.

I didn't watch the match so I was wondering what's up with the back of the Chelsea shirts?

Its just a different language.

I have a Thai friend & she told me that it's the Player's name on the back of their Jersey in Thai.

Essien performed like it was 5 years ago which was nice to see. Could have used him last season in there.

KDB was as good as I am sure we had all hoped. And Mourinho must see it as well which is why he was given the extra time. Hazard was as expected. Gonna be a great season. Lukaku out performed ba even excluding the penalty.

Wallace looked very promising. All in all I'm fairly happy with the first game back.

A minor tactical note: I think Jose is trying to customize that number 10 position judging by the roles Piazon and then Kevin played in the match. It looks like Jose wants whoever is playing in that role to drop off more often and play the ball from deep in the field to give us a numerical advantage in the middle when getting the ball out of defense. I predict to see a lot of Oscar and Kevin playing in that number 10 position and not Mata and Hazard.

Oh, and I think it's safe to say that we've been practicing set pieces in training.

Decent win. Needless to say that we should have won by more than 1-0 and if we had a top class striker our there, it could have had happened...

Anyway, there were certainly positives to take from the players and team's performance. Wallace was very good in the first half. Tiny but strong, quick and aggressive too. Lukaku was alright. The same for Schurrle but he did look very predictable with his movement of constantly coming inside onto his right foot. De Bruyne was superb throughout and love that over-the-top ball he played to Lukaku in the first half. Was brilliant! And Hazard had a great impact after he came on (bloody hate those girls screaming!).

As for the team, like I what saw despite it being only against a 4th/5th tier opposition. We controlled the game very well and never looked in trouble except when in set pieces situation. More importantly though, there was proper pressing from the team(!) which forced them into making mistakes and rushed passes. And with that pressing comes aggression that we hardly saw last season to win the ball back when we lost it. We were certainly not afraid to get stuck in their faces and make them work hard for the ball rather than just sit back and see them pass around us.

A minor tactical note: I think Jose is trying to customize that number 10 position judging by the roles Piazon and then Kevin played in the match. It looks like Jose wants whoever is playing in that role to drop off more often and play the ball from deep in the field to give us a numerical advantage in the middle when getting the ball out of defense. I predict to see a lot of Oscar and Kevin playing in that number 10 position and not Mata and Hazard.

This is the only sort of thing I can ever take from pre-season. Possible tactical moves by the manager. Even then, Mourinho could easily switch to something else if this doesn't work but it's still interesting because I agree with you, I think Oscar fits into Mourinho's system very well. This board is going to be very difficult to be on until the season starts. People trying to read anything into individual performances in pre-season are going to annoy me to now end. It doesn't matter who looks good, it doesn't matter who performs well. Pre-season games are totally and utterly meaningless. Go back and look at the pages for Marin and Piazon this time last year People were mentioning Marin in the same breath as Iniesta, talking about Piazon playing regular minutes. I know we're all excited that (semi but not really) competitive football is back, but pre-season means nothing!!! (And yes, the "so and so looks great, you can tell he..." or "So and so sucks" stuff drives me crazy.)

Schürrle seems very predictable, cutting inside on his right foot almost every time. He will find it very difficult to get into the starting 11 over Hazard, at least not on the left flank.

On the other hand, I liked Van Ginkel. This guy will surprise many, but the only potential problem for him could be the physicality of the Premier League. We'll see how he handles that.

Wallace looked promising. Find him a good club to be loaned to and the lad could shine.