Marco van Ginkel

Spike

His tackling and break-up of play (sometimes by fouling) has been pretty impressive in pre-season and if his passing improves he will be a v. good midfield signing. I think the combination of him, Ramires and Lampard in the midfield against Madrid probably didn't help him shine to be honest, all three of them miscued passes and looked uncomfortable under pressure which ultimately kept inviting more and more pressure onto us.

His tackling and break-up of play (sometimes by fouling) has been pretty impressive in pre-season and if his passing improves he will be a v. good midfield signing. I think the combination of him, Ramires and Lampard in the midfield against Madrid probably didn't help him shine to be honest, all three of them miscued passes and looked uncomfortable under pressure which ultimately kept inviting more and more pressure onto us.

The biggest problem we have in midfield, it's that nearly all our players are not great moving the ball to their weak foot when needed to make space for themself. I noticed that on many instances, a quick turn to their weak foot would have enable us to keep the ball moving and giving them more time to escape the pressing and finding a passing solution in the less crowded zone.

Jose played Mikel as a DM in 12 of the 27 games Mikel actually played. In the other games Mikel played with Makelele. Jose isn't the one that turned Mikel into a holding midfield player - it was the subsequent use of him there after Jose went that made Mikel into the player he is now. It wasn't Mikel's goals that were "destroyed", he was never really a goal getter - it was more his creativity and freedom that was prohibited.

Marco Van Ginkel will not grab as many goals in this Chelsea side like he did for Vitesse last season even if he doesn't play the most defensive player in the pivot simply because he'll have to restrain himself more as he'll have 4 players in front of him that'll do most of the attacking in the final third.

MVG is a B2B midfielder, Mikel was a playmaker, there's a difference.

Also, over the years, people are talking about Mikel as a next Pirlo and that Jose destroyed that talent. He was okay with his passing and general distribution but the Anchor role actually suited him imo

THIS STARTED OUT AS PRAISE FOR VAN GINKEL BUT TURNED INTO A RANT. PROCEED AT OWN RISK.

He looks like a proper number 8 all action midfielder like Lampard, Gerrard, Ballack, Marchisio and Matthaus. Those are the type of players I think about when I think of the 'perfect midfielder'. Players that give 100% every match, that lead by example, that take the game by the scruff of the neck, that man-up and take penalties when they need to be scored. None of these poncey regista types that graze about passing the ball around like it's a hot potato. Xavi, Pirlo, Carrick, Schweinsteiger...all brilliant players in their own right but they can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned. They don't run around and kick people enough for my tastes.

That brings me back to Schweinsteiger. He isn't world class. He isn't a leader. A leader takes it for the team, the good and the bad. For instance in the CL against Chelsea, where was Bastian when it was penalty time? He let Robben walk all over him and waltz right up to the spot to take the personal glory. All Robben wanted was to be the guy that won the match. Bastian should have said fuck that, puffed out his chest and stamped his goddamn authority on the team. You think Lampard, Ballack or Gerrard would let a ponce like Robben walk all over them and demand the penalty? They would have told him to fuck off back to Holland while they smashed that ball into the top corner like a motherfucking leader of men.

What do you expect from van Ginkel ? To be more agressive, to score important goals and be the new Lampard ? You dont find such players everywhere.Give him time he is too young to think as a leader.